? about Radian boots

kidnurse

From what I have read I am thinking that the 2010 Radians have a new style boot, which is what I have. I have also read that this is so it is easier to achieve the 45 degree angle needed for newborns. What I am wondering is this, can you get a better upright install with an older boot?...and are the old and new boot interchangeable?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

The new style is narrower toward the bottom and was introduced 09/08. I think either easily achieves a 45 degree angle. Whether you can get it more upright depends on the vehicle (and possibly the user). Some posters find they can get a more upright install with the newer boot. Others find that the older one worked better. I do believe they are interchangeable in that each fits on the other seat. I don't know what the official stance is on switching them.

buggysmama

I too would like to know if one is easier then the other. I have an older boot from sometime in 2007. I've never been able to get less then a 45 degree angle. I do have firm leather seats though. I wish SK would make a 30 degree boot. Has anyone asked SK why they don't make one, or let us not use one at all as long as it was for an older child? Just for fun I installed it with no boot in my Volvo. I almost broke down and cried it was so perfect. A rock solid install too. I so wish I could use it that way.

Last edited:

emandbri

I got the okay to use the old style on my radian 80 and asked specifically about using the seat to 40 lbs rear-facing. My issue wasn't recline I could not get it tight with the new boot.

kidnurse

Even if it didn't change the angle, I would be happy for a tighter install. I bet that you can't buy the older style boot from SK anymore, right? I am going to try to remember to call them today, their call center hours are kind of limited. Actually if they are on the east coast tho, they should be starting to answer the phones right about now. (I am great at remembering to call places when they are closed. :rolleyes:)

Thanks for the info

stephpook

I posted pictures a month or two ago of the recline angle difference between the old and new boot in my '07 Odyssey. I know some people can get the Radian more upright with the new boot, but that wasn't the case for me. Thankfully, I was able to get a pretty tight install with both.

kidnurse

I figured out the number I was calling that I thought was SK was actually a retailer, but from their website it is hard to tell that they are not SK. I have the right number now and will try it again. Got voicemail the first try.

kandamom

I have an Entourage, and the newer boot made the seat over-reclined reclined our second row bucket seats. A tech from this board brought the older boot to a seat check so I could try it. It works much better. As of last fall, SKJP was able to locate an older-style boot for me. I called not too long ago to inquire if the old boot could also be used with the SL radians, and was told it could be. It would certainly be worth checking to see if they can still get you an older boot. When I called to ask if I could still purchase the old boot, they sent me the new one for free!:D I have been very impressed with their customer service. (& love our radian, as well - rf angle issues aside)

I just wish they could make a boot for older infants/toddlers. I hope they still have an old boot available to send you.

jrmo

Per Russ at SKJP, they won't sell a 30 degree boot because "we have to consider the needs of our younger riders. If parents put a 30 degree boot on and then pass the seat down to a new baby, they may decide not to put the old one back on, or have lost it" I think that's kind of ridiculous, personally, but I also have a 36 lb rear facer that I fight the angle with. I get it, but what about the SafeStop? That seems much more likely to lose. Or the infant padding? Not a huge safety issue, but would also affect an infant's head positioning.
I've added my name to his list of people requesting a 30 deg boot, but he doesn't sound very interested. Email him at russ@skjp.com if you'd like.

gecikuh

Senior Community Member
Per Russ at SKJP, they won't sell a 30 degree boot because "we have to consider the needs of our younger riders. If parents put a 30 degree boot on and then pass the seat down to a new baby, they may decide not to put the old one back on, or have lost it" I think that's kind of ridiculous, personally, but I also have a 36 lb rear facer that I fight the angle with. I get it, but what about the SafeStop? That seems much more likely to lose. Or the infant padding? Not a huge safety issue, but would also affect an infant's head positioning.
I've added my name to his list of people requesting a 30 deg boot, but he doesn't sound very interested. Email him at russ@skjp.com if you'd like.

it doesn't have to come with another boot. people who actually go out of their way to get a boot for the lesser angle are much more likely to use the boots correctly...

kidnurse

LOL buggysmama. So what if he does get offended, someone has to speak up and let manufacterers know that there are those of us out here that are more knowledgable than most and would prefer an option to keep our children as safe as possible. And IMO this boot they have now that can over-recline the seat is just as dangerous, no?

Anyway, I spoke with Kristen in customer service, didn't feel like dealing with Russ after reading about him here so I opted to talk to customer service instead. She found an older style boot and is sending it to me. :thumbsup:

Here's hoping it helps me get a more upright install, or at least a tighter one.

buggysmama

LOL buggysmama. So what if he does get offended, someone has to speak up and let manufacterers know that there are those of us out here that are more knowledgable than most and would prefer an option to keep our children as safe as possible. And IMO this boot they have now that can over-recline the seat is just as dangerous, no?

Anyway, I spoke with Kristen in customer service, didn't feel like dealing with Russ after reading about him here so I opted to talk to customer service instead. She found an older style boot and is sending it to me. :thumbsup:

Here's hoping it helps me get a more upright install, or at least a tighter one.

I know I shouldn't feel bad. I do feel that it is just as dangerous. And dangerous for the driver who has to listen to an unhappy toddler!

I first sent him a super long email about why the boot sucks for a toddler and for people that drive regular size cars. Not in those words but I went on and on. He then forwarded me a pdf file about how to brace the radian and asked if it would help in my situation. I was so perplexed I sent him another super long email going over all the points I could think of. Also, that it wouldn't help my situation since bracing wouldn't lessen the recline angle, and that most cars don't allow it etc... I haven't heard back from him :confused:. Who knows if I ever will. He didn't answer one of my questions or come up with any suggestions to remedy the over reclining. I really get the impression from what I hear from others that he doesn't really care.

Also, I guess I felt I might have offended him by going into a long rant about how the Britax Frontier was a newish seat and they already were coming out with a new and improved model that fixed most of the common complaints. The Radian has been on the market way longer and the boot recline angle has always been something that people complained about. I remember reading all sorts of complaints about it when I bought my seat back in 2006 or 2007. They went ahead and redesigned it and didn't address this issue. I don't really understand that after all this time they refuse to address the problem :scratcheshead:.

I'm glad they were able to find you the older boot. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted to let us know how it goes.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I know I shouldn't feel bad. I do feel that it is just as dangerous. And dangerous for the driver who has to listen to an unhappy toddler!

I first sent him a super long email about why the boot sucks for a toddler and for people that drive regular size cars. Not in those words but I went on and on. He then forwarded me a pdf file about how to brace the radian and asked if it would help in my situation. I was so perplexed I sent him another super long email going over all the points I could think of. Also, that it wouldn't help my situation since bracing wouldn't lessen the recline angle, and that most cars don't allow it etc... I haven't heard back from him :confused:. Who knows if I ever will. He didn't answer one of my questions or come up with any suggestions to remedy the over reclining. I really get the impression from what I hear from others that he doesn't really care.

Also, I guess I felt I might have offended him by going into a long rant about how the Britax Frontier was a newish seat and they already were coming out with a new and improved model that fixed most of the common complaints. The Radian has been on the market way longer and the boot recline angle has always been something that people complained about. I remember reading all sorts of complaints about it when I bought my seat back in 2006 or 2007. They went ahead and redesigned it and didn't address this issue. I don't really understand that after all this time they refuse to address the problem :scratcheshead:.

I'm glad they were able to find you the older boot. I hope it works out for you. Keep us posted to let us know how it goes.

He told me that he didn't get where people got that... That it was completely ok even w/ side impact air bags in the seat, etc. :rolleyes:

simplychels

it doesn't have to come with another boot. people who actually go out of their way to get a boot for the lesser angle are much more likely to use the boots correctly...

I so agree that another boot should be an optional add on to this seat. Kind of like the cup holders made by SKJP approved for use with this seat :thumbsup:

I dont have issues with the boot, it works great in my vehicle, shockingly because I dont have very sloped seats. But I tried to help a friend with hers just the other day and I wanted to boot the boot!

ctbcleveland

I posted pictures a month or two ago of the recline angle difference between the old and new boot in my '07 Odyssey. I know some people can get the Radian more upright with the new boot, but that wasn't the case for me. Thankfully, I was able to get a pretty tight install with both.

We had the exact same experience with our 08 Ody.

stephpook

So what if he does get offended, someone has to speak up and let manufacterers know that there are those of us out here that are more knowledgable than most and would prefer an option to keep our children as safe as possible.

I agree. The last two times I completed an online registration form for a SK product, I used the comments section at the end to lobby for new boot that would allow for a more upright install. :p

buggysmama

Well I just wanted to share the bad news... Here is Russ' reply to my email requesting a new boot.

While we really did consider the preference of some older RF occupants who may ‘want’ less of a RF recline, we must balance this with the ‘needs’ of younger/youngest rear-facing occupants who must be reclined properly. If a significantly more upright RF recline angle is provided for older children, it must be reasonably assumed that it also could/would be used with the youngest RF occupants (– maybe to help it fit into the backseat of a Mini Cooper!) And so, we have to carefully consider the ramifications of what a significantly more upright RF installation could mean with a small/very young RF occupant. I do hear what you are saying and while we will look into this, the nature of the issue means that if there is any potential for a change, it will not be in the immediate future.

Also, the response to my response...

I can appreciate your comments, but as I mentioned, the issue is more than just increasing an angle – it’s about any potential changes in performance for each size range occupant. We do listen and we will look into it.

Looks like no plans to address the problem :thumbsdown:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC