Infant seat with the shortest slots

Stresch

We are talking about having a second child. Maybe. Someday.

Our daugher is small. Sanna was under 6 pounds when she came home from the hospital. She was (slightly?) below the lowest slots on the BabyTrend Latch-Loc we had at the time. We are currently borrowing a Graco SafeSeat1 and she is still using the lowest harness slots at 12 months.

It's unlikely that our hypothetical second child would have the same proportions (small with long legs/short torso), but assuming he/she did, what would be the best infant seat?

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I believe the Chicco Key Fit has very low bottom slots. I think its lowest slots are at 5" or so.
The Evenflo Embrace also has really low bottom slots, but it is not a great infant seat, IMO.

cso1997

The next lowest are 7 inches for the Graco SafeSeat 1 (how weird, a bigger Graco infant seat has lower bottom slots; the SnugRide's bottom slots are 8 inches) and Baby Trend LatchLoc.

I have heard over and over that the Safeseat fits small babies much better than the Snugride. Great package that it fits small babies and big babies.

We have the Keyfit and with the insert and that it fits babies to 4 lbs, I personally think it is a real winner for small babies (mine was 5 lb 15 oz leaving the hospital).

thepeach80

Senior Community Member
Ilana was 6#7oz when we left the hospital, much smaller and the SS wouldn't have worked, it just wouldn't get much tighter than it was. Her shoulders were also below the bottom slots. I tried her a week later (6#13oz) in the Peg and the slots were well below her shoulders so I'm thinking those measurements are off. I still want to go today, but I'm still hunting for my wallet...

lynsgirl

I believe the Chicco Key Fit has very low bottom slots. I think its lowest slots are at 5" or so.
The Evenflo Embrace also has really low bottom slots, but it is not a great infant seat, IMO.

It's so nice when someone else has already typed out exactly what you wanted to say! Thanks :D , since this really is exactly what I was going to post lol.

nak

Last edited:

Lilsid

I just bought a Combi Tyro II infant seat and with the infant padding in place the bottom slots measure 5" and the top slots measure 6.5". With out the infant insert there are 3 slots and more growing room.

combi023.jpg

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
I have some pics of my baby here... http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y255/joolstag/ the Combis are pretty low... I do far, far prefer the Key Fit or Safeseat 1 as far as seats go, though, and would not hesitate to use them even if the slot was above a newborns shoulders, because they baby isn't going to ramp out of the seat if the seat has waist straps that are snug and there's lots of seat above baby's head to keep him/her contained in a crash.

We just moved Leah's Safeseat straps to the top, she's just turned a year (boo hoo!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC