(sigh) My 4yo rides WAY better in a booster than her 7yo sister!!(need advice)

mamabear

If I could switch their seats around I would, but my 7yo outgrew her Frontier harness a while ago. I don't think there is any seat that will harness her anymore.But boy could she use it!! She slouches when she sits so her head is never contained in the wings. She also likes to lean out to one side so she's not sitting square in the middle, and she's been known to reach and turn around despite several corrections and warnings. I feel like a rear view mirror cop.;)

My 4.5 yo started booster training. Early I know. She's 45lbs, an 42" and really the size of an average 5yo. She has awesome impulse control too.It's only the 3 blocks to my moms or the 8 blocks to the store for now. She does AWESOME! the first few times she was scared "Cops would see her" (she's convinced it's against the law;))I've assured her it's OK for short trips to see how she does. She sits still. she won't reach for anything. She is a perfect angel.Somehow I knew this would happen to me.:rolleyes:

I always hear that 4yo's are not mature enough for boosters..... it's her sister that isn't mature enough.:rolleyes:

For DD, At 7, what can I do to help her???

HELP!!??

ADS

mamabear

Yes. Should I?? I tried it once and DD taunted me that she "could still lean":rolleyes:
I'd have to heck of tighten it on order to prevent that. Is it still safe??

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
You have a frontier? I'd probably get the SG clip, and lock the belt. That's going to be as much restraint as is realistic. I'd personally also lower the boom on the disrespectful behavior in a harsh way, but how you handle that is totally up to you and your parenting style.

Maedze

Yes, it's safe unless it's outright forbidden in your vehicle manual. (And even then, you may consider using parental discretion.)

It sounds like from your second post that this isn't true immaturity or lack of impulse control, but a discipline problem?

I'd treat it like any other discipline problem, with serious, immediate consequences for failure to toe the line :twocents:

ETA: Bobandjess has a good idea about the SG clip. If you want to act like a little kid, you're going to get treated like one.

nmb

Or get the Frontier 85 when it comes out if she'd fit in that harness? Supposed to be almost 2" taller for the harness.....

Bet she gets the point real quick when Lil Sis rides in a booster but she can't.

mamabear

I like the SG clip idea .....I forgot I could get one....:)

It's not a discipline problem. DD has a bad wiggle problem. She is always moving and has a few sensory issues. She really can't help moving. The comment she made was more her narc'ing on herself than backtalk.;)

fyrfightermomma

If I could switch their seats around I would, but my 7yo outgrew her Frontier harness a while ago. I don't think there is any seat that will harness her anymore.But boy could she use it!! She slouches when she sits so her head is never contained in the wings. She also likes to lean out to one side so she's not sitting square in the middle, and she's been known to reach and turn around despite several corrections and warnings. I feel like a rear view mirror cop.;)

My 4.5 yo started booster training. Early I know. She's 45lbs, an 42" and really the size of an average 5yo. She has awesome impulse control too.It's only the 3 blocks to my moms or the 8 blocks to the store for now. She does AWESOME! the first few times she was scared "Cops would see her" (she's convinced it's against the law;))I've assured her it's OK for short trips to see how she does. She sits still. she won't reach for anything. She is a perfect angel.Somehow I knew this would happen to me.:rolleyes:

I always hear that 4yo's are not mature enough for boosters..... it's her sister that isn't mature enough.:rolleyes:

For DD, At 7, what can I do to help her???

HELP!!??

Well my autistic 4 year old who has ZERO impulse control, has never listened to a word we say or obeyed us without being disciplined 40893 times first and has never sat still a second in her life, had absolutely no issues riding in a booster. She has done perfect everytime with zero reminders. Go figure :rolleyes:

I agree, a SG clip, lock the belt, and immediate consequences. Hope it works out for you. I always wondered how I would put E in a booster with her behavior, but strangely enough, I don't have to worry. Maybe I'll have your problem and S will be the trouble maker and be 8 and still won't sit still in one. Kids never cease to baffle me! LOL

Maedze

I like the SG clip idea .....I forgot I could get one....:)

It's not a discipline problem. DD has a bad wiggle problem. She is always moving and has a few sensory issues. She really can't help moving. The comment she made was more her narc'ing on herself than backtalk.;)

Ah gotcha. Either way, I'd lock the belt and get the SG clip. But probably without a punitive overtone :p

mamabear

Or get the Frontier 85 when it comes out if she'd fit in that harness? Supposed to be almost 2" taller for the harness.....

WOW 2" more inches...I wonder if I could swing it and re harness her:whistle:

I'd lock the belt and get the SG clip. But probably without a punitive overtone :p

Thanks! I wasn't sure locking the belt was still considered OK, I thought I remember seeing conflicting opinions on it.....

I'll do it, even if it is SUCH a PIA to have to retract the belt all the way back in to unlock it every time we want to re buckle....

Kat_Momof3

do you have a seat with a lap-only belt? if so, what about getting her an ezonpro harness to use with the booster until she can control her impulses better?

sounds like my kids, my 7 year old is horrid about it and I have to get on her a lot, and my 4 year old if I tried it I bet would sit perfect, she is calm and does as she is told cause she likes to please people lol

sounds like my kids, my 7 year old is horrid about it and I have to get on her a lot, and my 4 year old if I tried it I bet would sit perfect, she is calm and does as she is told cause she likes to please people lol
oh locking the belt worked she hated it so much locked that she shaped up and all I have to do is threaten to lock the belt again and she sits back correctly.

mamabear

do you have a seat with a lap-only belt? if so, what about getting her an ezonpro harness to use with the booster until she can control her impulses better?

all 3 back belts are lap/shoulder.

I'll try locking the belt, It's been a while since I tried it and don't remember if it was super helpful, but worth trying again right?

I'll report back after we see.....

yep, my 7yo has the impulse control of a toddler.....someone tell me it gets better???

Louisa

CPST Instructor
do you have TA's could you use a ridesafer travel vest? with the TA's attached to the shoulders my DS can't move

all 3 back belts are lap/shoulder.

I'll try locking the belt, It's been a while since I tried it and don't remember if it was super helpful, but worth trying again right?

I'll report back after we see.....

yep, my 7yo has the impulse control of a toddler.....someone tell me it gets better???

I hear ya on that.. sounds a lot like my 7 year old.. I really hope it gets better!:eek:

Louisa

CPST Instructor
Hmmmm can you explain this in more detail?? I'm intrigued......:)

sure :)

check this out

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

you could have her use the vest, with the lap/shoulder belt and the tether if needed, the tether would keep her from being able to move her shoulders very much and she would not be able to lean out of position or slouch, it kept my ds in place even when he fell asleep, hopefully you could ween her down to the vest with out the TA's and eventually just the belt

the vest alone, even with out the tether really attaches the child to the belt and restricts movement especialy accidential wiggiling, as you would have to try prety hard to move away from position.

mamabear

sure :)

check this out

http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/

you could have her use the vest, with the lap/shoulder belt and the tether if needed, the tether would keep her from being able to move her shoulders very much and she would not be able to lean out of position or slouch, it kept my ds in place even when he fell asleep, hopefully you could ween her down to the vest with out the TA's and eventually just the belt

the vest alone, even with out the tether really attaches the child to the belt and restricts movement especialy accidential wiggiling, as you would have to try prety hard to move away from position.

Thanks!
Our top tethers are on the ceiling...I wonder how that would feel for her....:scratcheshead:
I'm definitely getting 2 of these anyway for vacation this summer (lots of shuttle van travel)
Thanks again!!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC