What are the risk factors for submarining?

katieinqc

Age, height, weight, and build (both torso vs legs and stocky vs skinny) are the possible factors I came up with, but not only do I not know if/how much they do, some I'm not even sure which way some would sway the risk, if that makes sense. Basically, I'm thinking if I have a Parkway SG and another booster available for 2 kids (and the fit looks good for both kids in both boosters), how would I know which kid is more likely to benefit from the SG? I think the answer is going to be "we don't know" but I'd like to hear people's thoughts even if that is the case. Thanks.

ADS

barnmama25

I think that weight, bone maturity and size of the child play a big factor in submarining.
I personally feel comfortable for my 65 pound 5 year old riding in a booster, but I do not feel the same for my 3 year old 40 pounder.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
There are only a handful of kids in boosters who suffer abdominal injuries, it's quite rare. It's kids NOT in boosters that are really at risk, and the kids who do suffer these injuries in boosters are very likely, in my opinion, to be in boosters with terrible belt geometry, like the Dorel or Evenflo combo seats that hold the belt up on the abdomen, rather than a good booster with proper belt guides that keeps the belt low on the lap.
I do not really think there's an age difference, I've never seen any evidence that littler kids suffer more abdominal injuries (*head* injuries are the big problem for kids age 2-4 in boosters...). This is the IIHS article about booster fit, it's not hard to imagine that poor girl just slipping right under that belt, while the boy seems like all would be well for him... http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/boosters/default.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC