Which one for a newborn?

TiaxMarie

I am due in August. I have two True Fits. One is being used in DH's car for DD, but I also have a MA I can switch it out with if I have to.

In my car, DD is RF in a Radian XTSL.

I can't decide what to do for the new baby.

True Fit
Radian XTSL
Keyfit

My daughter was 9lbs, so I'm not worried about a tiny baby fit. I know it's really going to come down to a personal choice, but what would you do in my situation. Money isn't a problem. I have awhile before I have to make any purchases.

I'm just debating whether the infant bucket would be a pain or helpful. We have really cold winters so it would be nice to have the bucket for the colder months, but since I have big babies, I'm not sure if the Keyfit30 would be to much to carry around with my chunky 5 month old.

I do babywear and breastfeed, so we wouldn't use the bucket for shopping or sleeping in the house or in a stroller, but it would be nice to have one for when we go out to eat.

DH thinks we should just get 2 Radians, and then buy a used/expired bucket seat to keep in the trunk to use if we go out to eat. I'm not sure I want to do that though. He even suggested replacing the cover on the bucket with one of those handmade mommy covers that we say never use. But since it would not be used in a car he doesn't see a problem with it. But, I'm not sure I want to support any businesses like that. I also don't want to be lugging around an expired carseat. I know its not being used in the car, but others might not know that.

Ah, what to do?

ADS

Spam

I'm going with a KF30, for basically just eating out as well, and hoping that I can maybe get through the winter with the bucket since that would be nice and easier for me. Then we'll move into the tfp and mr. I'm also not expecting a small baby ;)

TiaxMarie

Thanks! I am leaning towards the KF30, but DH wants to skip it and just go with the Radian.

I'm going to have to save up my stipends from carseat checks and buy it with that, then he can't complain. Haha.:p

Kat_Momof3

you know, I actually agree with your dh... about the older infant seat just for lugging around... I wouldn't pay for a custom cover, but I'd probably take the time to make one... along with a tag sticking out of it that says... carrier only - not for use as carseat - ask my mommy why - she's a Child Passenger Safety Technician

if you aren't handy with a sewing machine, I'd see if Shaunam or one of the other sewing crafty moms on here would do it for you at a low price.

However, seeing that you are in Maine makes me think of winters... and an infant seat is something I'd want for that first winter (RSV/Flu Season)... with a large baby, I'd actually go for a seat taller than the keyfit 30... like the Onboard 35.

bensmom

Admin - CPS Technician
I'm going with a KF30, for basically just eating out as well, and hoping that I can maybe get through the winter with the bucket since that would be nice and easier for me. Then we'll move into the tfp and mr. I'm also not expecting a small baby ;)

I'd go with the KF too. DS3 was 8.5 lbs at birth and the KF 30 lasted him 8-9 months. If money is not an issue, than I think that an infant seat is very helpful both in the winter and with an older child that you're also chasing around.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I have a TFP for my baby and a recalled-used-three point Evenflo Discovery in my trunk that Laine sits in when I do carseat checks. I make it well known that it's NOT used in the car, but I think it's a hoot that I'm using such an awful seat to hold my baby in while I do a check.

I like Kat's idea of a label.

Wendy

MissAllyLou

I agree with Kat, I'd get a bucket seat but would look for a bigger one, like the Onboard 35 or the Snugride 35. Once winter is over, sell it and move on to the Radian ;-)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC