Booster or no booster?

Lena

9.5 yrs old
4'7"
abt. 75 pounds

Recently switched to a backless booster. He outgrew the back of a turbo booster. HATED the Monterey to the point of not sitting properly.
Now hates the backless booster too. He's convinced he doesn't need a booster anymore.
Is the lap belt too high up without the booster? It feels like it's on his hips.
What about the gap between the shouler belt and collar bone?
He passes everything else.
I know the booster can help absorb some of the impact, is there any other reasons to keep him in it?

IMG_0472.jpg
IMG_0476.jpg

ADS

Lena

Now that I've stared at the pictures for awhile I think I really want to keep him in a booster.
Is there a wider more comfortable backless?
Or am I still just not wanting to accept that he's a big kid and not my baby anymore?

Maedze

He's close, but the lap belt is still too high. I agree that he might be a lot more comfortable in the Combi Dakoto or Harmony Juvenile:thumbsup:

How did he like the Monterey in backless mode?

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
I agre, he is *close* but not quite there without the booster. The harmony at TRU and the dakota are wider. Actually, the Nauti as a highback booster is also wider....I can squeeze my 5 foot 2, 115 lb 12.5 yo dss into dd's nauti...I noticed a nauti in the pic...how does he like that?

Kat_Momof3

he's close, but he definitely needs the booster... here's a video I made of my boys to help with this question

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zxFJ9xoTGM"]YouTube- Booster Or Seatbelt??[/ame]

I am going to do an update to it this summer... after Jeffrey turns 9... he's about the size of your son now.

I kind of feel bad that I didn't use the Monterey to make that video, but I thought using a backless booster would help illustrate I was talking about a very big kid.

Qarin

Token "make sure you have the screws in the Turbo Booster" post.

You can see that the screws are in (at least on the right side) in the picture of him without a booster (it's sitting in the Nautilus in the background). :thumbsup:

Lena

Screws are in the arm rests. Seat belt covers it. ;)

Already checked and we have a couple TRU with the Harmony's in stock so we're headed there tomorrow to check them out.

I really didn't want to take him out but sometimes I have to step back and see if I'm really that parent that won't let their child grow up.

THANKS!

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Nah, keeping them safely in a booster long enough has nothing to do with not letting them grow up. Seatbelts are like clothes and shoes, it doesn't matter what size you need, as long as it fits, and it's not a reflection of im/maturity or parenting, right? :)

babyherder

If you still want him in a booster when everyone on here says the seatbelt fits him correctly without the booster then re-evaluate. Until then you're just keeping him safe and that's your job.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC