Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Carseat Crazy

Saab 9-3 carseat feedback - MyRide, TFP, Radian

Trying to fit a carseat RF in my car has been a challenge, so I figured I would post some of what I've found here in case anyone else has a similar car. I drive a 2006 Saab 9-3, which has a very small back seat!

I bought both a My Ride and a True Fit Premier to try out in my car The MyRide fits perfectly in the middle back - the shape of the back of the seat allows the front seats to go almost all the way back. Not reclined back, but the whole seat moved back. My 5' 11" husband was able to position the driver's seat back comfortably. And the seatbelt install is so solid. It doesn't move at all. I didn't have it checked by a tech yet, but I will soon!

The TFP was too wide to fit in between the backs of the front seats . It was preventing the back seats from being moved back. I also tried the Radian XT we have in the middle back. The had the same problem with hitting the front seats. It fit in between the seats, but was rubbing pretty tight in between the seats.

None of the seats fit in the middle with a Chicco Keyfit 30 next to it. But the MyRide will work RF behind the passenger's seat with the Keyfit behind the driver's seat. So I won't necessarily need a new car when child #2 comes along in the next couple years

MyRide:

True Fit Premier (c670 in Retro Geo):

Radian:

And here are some comparison pictures of the My Ride and the True Fit:

And some of the True Fit Retro Geo pattern for anyone interested:

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Saab 9-3 carseat feedback - MyRide, TFP, Radian

Thanks! The Radian can touch and brace against the front seats, unless you have advanced airbags and your car doesn't allow it, which is possible.

Is that a bundle me on the Keyfit? Do you use it? hehe They're not allowed. They can cause the harness to not be routed properly, which is an ejection risk. They can add bulk between baby and the seat, which is an ejection risk. I doubt they're flame retardant, though I could be wrong. They're high on the Do Not Use list of things. We prefer the shower cap style covers, which don't affect the harness in any way, or just use blankets over baby.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 61", 99#, seatbelt
    laine 9/16/09, 46", 54#, Diono Monterey, Chicco KidFit Zip Air
    in a 2015 BMW M235i, and my 2011 Mercedes E350 wagon

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    Is that a bundle me on the Keyfit?
    Yeah - I just took the bundle me off after I took the pictures. I didn't realize how bad they were until recently. Especially since the marketing for them says they are fine to use.

Does the angle for the My Ride install look ok to you? The little adjuster thing was in the green, so I think it is ok. I'm going to get in touch with Murphy'sLaw and see if she can do a check for me next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy7707 View Post
    Does the angle for the My Ride install look ok to you? The little adjuster thing was in the green, so I think it is ok. I'm going to get in touch with Murphy'sLaw and see if she can do a check for me next week.
    It needs to be in the green with the child IN the seat, so check once baby is in the seat. Also, I found our MR settled in a bit over a few weeks and reclined a tad more, so just make sure check it with your child in it after a few weeks just to make sure it's still good.
    TechnoAdult Driver's seat
    TechnoTween Clek Oobr Britax Parkway SGL
    TechnoKid Britax Frontier ClickTight Graco Tranzitions

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by TechnoGranola View Post
    It needs to be in the green with the child IN the seat, so check once baby is in the seat. Also, I found our MR settled in a bit over a few weeks and reclined a tad more, so just make sure check it with your child in it after a few weeks just to make sure it's still good.
    Good to know - thanks! I'll check it with him in the seat and keep an eye on it once we start using the seat.

Another thing I didn't mention in my original post - the MyRide doesn't dig into the leather seat anywhere, which pleased my husband. When I had the TFP installed, it was digging into the seat to the point where DH thought it would have ripped the leather or the stitching over time.

Is the TFP fitting differently than the TF did, or do you have the seats moved back more?

If you only need to have one seat all the way back, one thing I do in my car is to slightly angle the carseat so that it's off to one side. Install the seat properly, and then grab the head end of the seat and move it. Or, just install it crooked to begin with. I do that so my Big brother can fit in my small car. I can switch which side the carseat is on depending if he is driving or in the passenger seat, and not have to reinstall.
    Melissa, CPST and Mom to three

Carseat Crazy

Pixels - it just fits different. I think the rebound bar makes it stick out a little bit more, which makes the fronts seats ok for me, but not for DH. I'm happy with the way the MyRide fits so I think we're just keeping that one. Thanks again for letting my try out your TF!