Question Advice on RF convertible fit in Toyota Yaris

U

Unregistered

DD is 5 months, 15.5 lbs, 27" (long torso- currenty about 2" from top of shell of Peg Perego Viaggio SIP). We're looking at getting a convertible, either the TrueFit Rebound, Radian XT, (or possibly Complete Air?) but are concerned about the fit in our 2007, 2dr Toyota Yaris hatchback...any advice? We'd like DD to stay RF for as long as possible. I don't think we'd be able to try the fit of all three (haven't seen Radian in stores). It would probably stay behind the passenger seat ( Our back seat is split 40/60, so I don't think middle is an option?) and 6'3" DH would drive. Also, we're in Canada.

Thanks in advance!

ADS

LittlePeanut

Well I can tell you that the XT installs fine RF in the centre (seatbelt) and is just off centre enough that the driver seat can move freely as far back as necessary. It's a huge pain to get in because the longish belt stalks and the relatively low belt bath in the RN. The seatbelt stalks were twisted 2 full revolutions (I believe that was all we could manage). I was installing it for someone who has a 2.5 m/o so the angle needed to be much closer to 45* than you might need for your child (assuming normal neck muscles). It did leave very little room for the passenger. It installs great FF using both the seatbelt and the UAS (but not together obviously). We actually had to fit 2 RN seats in this vehicle (one centre and one passenger side outboard) and we did seatbelt installations for both.

The driver in this case is 5'11". I sat in the passenger side (5'5") and my knees were about 1" from the dash. It was a 4 door Yaris though and I'm not certain on the year but I can find out.

Once the seat is able to be installed more upright, the passenger will have more room.

Where are you located? Perhaps there is someone local to you who has the various seats you could try out in your car.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
This is based on an '07 Yaris sedan:
  • there is no child restraint that will fit in the centre position and between the front seats. Any centre installed seat will affect both front seats (except for apparently the Radian which can be offset a bit as said by the above poster) so outboard install will work better unless the driver is shorter. If installed directly in the centre, the child restraint keep both front seats quite a bit forward and you lose the capability of having anyone sit on either side of the child restraint (seriously, my 12 year old could barely fit beside the MA when we tried a centre install) so with an outboard install at least an adult can sit on the other outboard side.
  • A True Fit and a My Ride both can be installed at a nice upright angle giving the passenger decent leg room. The front seat can't be put all the way back though. The Marathon fits too, but the TF and MR fit just as well and provide way more leg room than the MA. Plus the MA base is really hard on the foamy seats in the Yaris and really pulled on the fabric and looked like it would damage the seat.
  • The Radian put the passenger seat too far forward to be comfortable for the 5'2" passenger. If installed in the centre slightly offset, I assume it would affect the front passenger seat in the same way.
Sorry I couldn't help with a 2 door, the Yaris sedan is a close as I could get to helping you!

Last edited:

sparkyd

I agree with TechnoGranola, the True Fit and the MyRide are probably your best options. If you think DD is going to be tall you might want to give the True Fit a try. I have no experience with the Yaris, but I have 2 True Fits installed RF in my '06 Ford Focus hatchback. They are both at a more upright angle and give acceptable passenger space for an average-size person. There is exactly enough room for me to have the driver seat in the position I need. I am 5'3". My 6'3" DH avoids driving (or riding in since we have child restraints behind both seats) my car. He can, but it isn't ideal.

My son was 6 months when he moved to the True Fit and he has been OK at the more upright angle although if I think he is going to fall asleep I usually tuck a blanket next to his head as kind of a pillow to lessen the chances of his head flopping forward.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC