Radian owners-Satisfy my curiosity?

Cattitude

I've seen a couple of threads where kids much older than mine are on lower harness slots. I know that all kids are different and are different sizes but it just has me curious.

If you have a Radian, how old is your child, how tall, torso height, and weight and what harness slot are they on?

I think it's weird that my DS is on the 4th slot.
He's 18 months, approx.34 inches tall, 13 inches torso height, and approx. 28 lbs.

(the harness is just ever so slightly below his shoulder)

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

Madeline is almost 4 1/2 and she could either be on the 3rd or 4th slot. Sometimes, when she settles down into the seat, it looks like the 4th slot is right there or just a tiny bit above her shoulders....but when she's put into the seat, it's the 4th slots (so we have left it there).

Here is a pic of when she is on the 4th slots when just getting into the seat (she can and has settled down enough to put the straps like I said, a little over her shoulders than at or below them)

IMG_5771.jpg

nmb

My son's 3yrs, 3mos, and on the top slots FF, 2nd to top RF. His torso is 16-16.5" (hard to measure and I haven't tried to in awhile). Stats in sig are from his 3yr checkup in early Dec, but he's the same size now.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
J is in the neighborhood of 38-40lbs (he's been fluctuating for the last year or so.) He's 39" tall and I measured him yesterday at a 13" torso. I'm not sure what slots he's on, lol, I know it's the last set of angled ones before they go straight. I had him on the first straight ones, and they were just a bit above his shoulders, so I moved him down.

CC just turned 4, she's teeny for her age, is in the low 30s weight (32-33?) and about half an inch shorter than J. Her torso is 12.5" and when she rides in the Radian, it's without changing the settings (aside from harness tension, obviously,) so she's at the same spot J is.

Funny enough, the baby (13mos, 25lbs) is on the same slots. Not sure how tall he is, I would say average height for a 1yo. Just heavy, lol. Though he doesn't ride in the Radian, I wanted to know in case J asked to ride in the MR and I needed to switch them. I can change the height on the MR much more easily than the Radian, lol.

I put a six year old in the seat (just 'cause I was curious) the other day and he was just at 1". He would have been in the top slots. No official measurements, he's small though, 44" or so I would guess, weighs in the low 40s.

DahliaRW

My 2 1/2 yo would be on the 4th slots rfing. He's around 36-37" (been a while since I measured, so possibly taller) and 35ish pounds.

Pixels

DD is 21.5 months. She was 22 pounds, 30.25 inches at 18 months. I don't know her torso height, but she is outgrowing 18 month size shirts. Her proportions (torso/leg) seem to be pretty normal.

She is on the third slots of the Radian. She is just slightly above the slot, at most like the pic babygirlsmom posted. She is basically right at (just a hair above) the second slots in her TrueFit.

She's fit her seats like that for a long time. I'm expecting a torso growth spurt any day now.

JOII

My just 5 y/o is on the 4th slots RFing, top slots, FFing. He is just above the 4th slots and has been at that point for quite a while. He is 34lbs and 43"

My 2y3m old is on the 3rd RFing. She is 29lbs and 33".

Last edited:

o_mom

2.5 yo (30 lbs, no idea how tall - maybe 36 in?), third set RF, almost even with the 4th set.

4.5 (41 in, 36 lbs) and 6.5 yo (44 in, 40 lbs), just above the 4th set, using the top set FF.

ETA: those are all from the bottom up.

Last edited:

christineka

5 years, 3 months and 31 pounds. She's on the second from the top slots for both rear and forward facing.

3 years and 30 pounds. He's on the third from the top slots for rfing.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
DN1- I'm not sure which slots (I don't use this seat for her)
DN2- 4 years, 1 month. 37 pounds. Top slots for FF, second-to-top slots for RF
DN3- I'm not sure which slots (I don't use this seat for him)
DN4- 2 years, 0 months. 25 pounds? Third-to-top slots for RF.

tiggercat

My 4 yr old is on the top slots for FF, 2nd from top slots RF. She is 42 or 43lbs at last check. She's been around the same torso height for years now. She used to be all torso, then she grew legs.
My 6m old is on the 2nd slots (RF of course), I think he was pretty close to the 3rd slot.

abigaylebelle

My ds will be 3 next month, weighs around 28lbs/36" tall/11.5" torso. He was on the second slot rf in the radian but close to the third. He is unusually short waisted though.

Cattitude

This is what's weird to me. It seems that there are lots of 4 & 5 year olds with the same torso height (or close enough to it) as my 1 1/2 year old, strange! So kids just grow leggy between 2-5 :confused::p?

JOII

This is what's weird to me. It seems that there are lots of 4 & 5 year olds with the same torso height (or close enough to it) as my 1 1/2 year old, strange! So kids just grow leggy between 2-5 :confused::p?

Some may, that's totally the case for my son. He used to have a fairly long torso but at about 2.5 years old his legs finally started growing. Honestly his torso has maybe grown 2" in the last 3 years, and the rest of his growth has been legs. His legs are insanely long now (you can kinda see in my siggy)

tiggercat

Yep! That's what happened to my 2 eldest anyway. Think about how a baby's proportions are as compared to an adult. Big head, big body, small arms and legs. As they age, the rest of the body catches up, then the arms and legs.

fyrfightermomma

d1 is almost 5, 43", 32 lbs, 15" torso and RFing is on the third from bottom(she never rides RFing anymore though

DD2 is 3 next week 38", 32 lbs, 15.5" torso and on the fourth from bottom RFing and top slots if FFing

AtTheSouthDam

DD2 3y 8m, 30#, 39" with a 12.5" torso on the third slots. The child has a tiny torso. She use the 3rd slots FF on the plane in Oct because when sitting upright she is just a tiny smidge over, I'd be willing to say even once she settles in. She is only on the 3rd slots in the MR as well.

TiaxMarie

DD is on the 2nd slots from the bottom. RF. 27 months old. 28lbs, 37 inches tall. Not sure about torso though.

stephcali

The stats in my siggy are accurate, they both had a check up last week :)

DD1 is FF in the Radian right now and is on the top slots, I'm guessing her torso is around 16" because she has almost completely outgrown the Marathon FF.

DD2 (18 months) hasn't ridden the Radian for a while, but last time she was on the 3rd slot RF and was just a tad above so I'm sure it hasn't changed. She is over 2 inches shorter than DD1 was at the same age so I'm thinking she's going to be my shorty :) She'll be moving to the Radian full-time soon since she's getting closer to the Marathon's RF limit (33lbs for ours)

ETA: I just looked up the specs on my car seats to try and figure out what my kids torso lengths are. I'm pretty sure I'm right about DD1, probably a little over 16". DD2 it looks like should be right around 13" judging by which slots she's on in the Marathon and the Radian (2nd slot for Marathon and 3rd slot for Radian). I would double check your DS's torso length because the 4th slot on the Radian is actually 15" the 3rd is 12". So if he is on the 4th (counting from the bottom) then his torso would be over 15" which would be a very long torso for an 18 month old, he'll definitely be a tall one!

mommyof3tx

My youngest is on the 3rd slot, he's 33 1/2in tall and 29mo. I'll be moving him up pretty soon though I think, we'll have to see how his spring clothes fit because sometimes he seems even a hair above the 4th slot and then other times he's def below it

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC