Seen the Video?

ADS

crunchierthanthou

yeah, it's terrible. He's using the insert (which is only allowed rf). I doubt he's even 9-10 months or 20 lbs. I'm sure they just moved across the parking lot, but still.

They also borrow the outboard anchors when they install rf with LATCH in the center. Neither Combi nor the vehicle allow that. :rolleyes:

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
yeah, it's terrible. He's using the insert (which is only allowed rf). I doubt he's even 9-10 months or 20 lbs. I'm sure they just moved across the parking lot, but still.

They also borrow the outboard anchors when they install rf with LATCH in the center. Neither Combi nor the vehicle allow that. :rolleyes:

I was just going to post the same things. Get out of my head!!!

Wiggles

I actually don't think the car moved with that child forward facing. I think that was just camera movement to make it LOOK like the car was moving.

Mom2FiveGirls

I actually don't think the car moved with that child forward facing. I think that was just camera movement to make it LOOK like the car was moving.

Maybe it didn't actually move then, but parents are going to see the video and think it must be ok for a child that small to be FFing since its on the company's video and all... Ugg...

Wiggles

I'm not saying it was a GOOD thing. *shrugs* I think children under three should be rear-facing if at all possible in ALL media. Just saying I'm not sure Combi drove off with a baby forward facing.

mum2two

Still, they showed it with all three seats installed RF, why not take the last shot that way...like others have said, the video is demonstrating HOW to use the seats and a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

Combi needs some feedback on that video!

natysr

I sent a PM to their rep who is a member on this forum. Hopefully they will redo the last portion of the video and re-edit it.

Vera@Combi

CPST Instructor
Hello Everyone:

Thank you for posting these comments. We value your comments and feedback.

First I'd like to assure all of you that the child that faces forward in this video is well over 1 year and over 20 pounds. We agree that children should remain rear facing for as long as possible, but the video was made for promotional purposes for the general public -not just certified Technicians. Since the seat CAN be used forward facing when the child reaches 20 lbs, the video is designed to show multiple ranges in the same shot. Unfortunately "allowable" and “best practice” concepts do not always align so manufacturers create safe options for as many "allowables" as possible.

The instruction manual states "- Discontinue use of the infant insert when infant weighs 20 lbs. (9 kg) OR when shoulder straps become too short to fit infant." There is no harm in using the insert as long as the straps are through the harness slots at, or above the shoulders when forward facing and are long enough to allow for the child to be removed from the seat.

Regarding LATCH: the vehicle that the seats are installed in DOES have 3 sets of lower anchors. Unfortunately, due to the camera angle the center LATCH bar location is not very clearly visible.

Regards,

Midwife@heart

If they want to show that the carseat can be used FF why not use a child that looks older? I hate when commercials do that. They put a child that looks like a 12 month old ff and a child that looks like a 2 year old in a booster.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
We agree that children should remain rear facing for as long as possible, but the video was made for promotional purposes for the general public -not just certified Technicians. Since the seat CAN be used forward facing when the child reaches 20 lbs, the video is designed to show multiple ranges in the same shot. Unfortunately "allowable" and “best practice” concepts do not always align so manufacturers create safe options for as many "allowables" as possible.
So is this saying that the general public does not deserve to know that rear facing for as long as possible IS a viable option? It sounds to me like Combi is assuming that only technicians rear-face their kids for a longer period.

As for showing allowables, the seat allows RF to 33# but Combi chose to show the 20#ish FF 1 year old, instead of a RF almost 33# child RF when both are allowed.

If Combi truly agrees, as you stated they do, that children should remain rear facing for as long as possible, then start showing the public that older babies and toddlers CAN and DO rear-face. Unless manufacturers contribute to changing the perception, the general public is going to remain in the dark.

msg221

This reminds me of the video for the Advocate CS on Britax's web site; it simulates a side impact crash which shows a fireman removing a baby from the vehicle. The baby is seated forward facing and the fireman just lifts the seat out of the vehicle, as if it was just sitting on the vehicle seat, unsecured!

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/advocate-cs/videos

kaysmom

Hello Everyone:

Thank you for posting these comments. We value your comments and feedback.

First I'd like to assure all of you that the child that faces forward in this video is well over 1 year and over 20 pounds. We agree that children should remain rear facing for as long as possible, but the video was made for promotional purposes for the general public -not just certified Technicians. Since the seat CAN be used forward facing when the child reaches 20 lbs, the video is designed to show multiple ranges in the same shot. Unfortunately "allowable" and “best practice” concepts do not always align so manufacturers create safe options for as many "allowables" as possible.

There are a lot of us from the "general public" here who are ERF our kids, and are so glad that we know about how much safer it is. It's unfair to the general public to assume that only Technicians should have the information needed to know about best practice.

I agree that the child looks very young, so it doesnt really matter if he actually is over 1/20 that's not how it appears and that is the general problem people are having:twocents:

crunchierthanthou

Thanks for chiming in, Vera. We really appreciate your input and participation. :) You'll have to forgive us. Many of our posters are believers that manufacturers should advocate best practice over bare minimums (myself included). However, I recognize that marketing departments are a force unto their own.

The instruction manual states "- Discontinue use of the infant insert when infant weighs 20 lbs. (9 kg) OR when shoulder straps become too short to fit infant." There is no harm in using the insert as long as the straps are through the harness slots at, or above the shoulders when forward facing and are long enough to allow for the child to be removed from the seat.

We'll have to take your word on the age and size of that tiny guy. I've never seen a 20 lb child who still fits so well with the insert in place. As for the limit on using the insert, I think our confusion is understandable. I read it as 20 lbs or when the straps are too short, whichever comes first, not last. Perhaps in the next revision of your manual you could remove the upper weight limit, as you are stating it can go beyond 20 lbs depending on strap fit. Including the weight appears to be superfluous and is causing confusion.

Regarding LATCH: the vehicle that the seats are installed in DOES have 3 sets of lower anchors. Unfortunately, due to the camera angle the center LATCH bar location is not very clearly visible.

Now that point I'm really not buying. :eek: If it is the same Toyota Corolla shown throughout the rest of the video (as seems to be the case), I assure you it neither has a third set of dedicated lower anchors for the center position, nor allows borrowing of the outboard. In fact, it appears very much like the center LATCH strap is attached to the driver's side anchor while the forward facing seat is still installed - as seen in this screenshot (although the reminder to consult the vehicle manual for LATCH locations is very much appreciated).

coccorovideoanchors.jpg

Again, I recognize that it is a marketing video and those departments aren't always aware of proper installation guidelines. However, you can imagine our frustration that the company that makes the seat isn't even using it correctly. That's not necessarily a reflection on Combi, but more a gripe with the endless variation among vehicles and restraints. Perhaps you can provide them with a copy of the manual, or even a quick training session before they shoot their next video. ;)

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I definitely understand that there's often a disconnect between the marketing department and other departments (not at Combi in particular, but in general).

I, too, would love it if all manufacturers did more to show best practice, not just minimum requirements. Although it's still rare to see a kid rear-facing beyond 1 and 20, the idea is picking up, and the more people see it, the more acceptable it will become.

As for the infant insert: I also interpreted the rules to mean whichever came first. I had no idea you could use it beyond 20 lbs. I agree that clarification in the manual would be helpful.

On a somewhat unrelated note, while I was making dinner the other night I got a catchy song stuck in my head and couldn't figure out what it was/where I had heard it. I finally realized it was from that video. So the marketing department did do at least one thing right (create something that really sticks with people)!

crunchierthanthou

I really hate to belabor this, but I just now had a chance to open up the manual.

On page 14 in section 7 (Preparing Carseat for Use), there's an orange box that says:

WARNING DEATH or SERIOUS INJURY can occur

Discontinue use when child’s weight exceeds 40 pounds
(18 kg) or shoulders are above the top harness slots.
• Children less than one year old and 20 lbs. (9 kg) MUST
use this car seat rear-facing. Serious crippling injury or
death can result if infant faces front of vehicle.
• LATCH or vehicle seat belt MUST be routed though
forward-facing belt path when using car seat forward-facing.
• DO NOT use infant insert with car seat forward-facing.

It's also repeated in Section 12 - Securing Child In Car Seat (page 42).

I really thought that was the case and that I hadn't misread. :eek: It's been nearly a year, but I combed it page by page when I did the review last spring.

Kat_Momof3

good catches guys! I never noticed he was using the insert!

and crunchier... good job remembering the line in the manual!

I also never liked the video much because either all should have been rearfacing on departure, or an older child should have been used for forward facing.

Also, one thing many of us like is that sweet european belt path that lets the shoulderbelt go behind the seat...

not to mention that we often find ourselves advising parents to install with seatbelts when putting 3 in a row because it helps maximize space (I'm sure a tech will explain why that is)... so it would have been awesome to see one, two, or all 3 seats installed with the seatbelt.

Crystal.

CPS Technician
I really hate to belabor this, but I just now had a chance to open up the manual.

On page 14 in section 7 (Preparing Carseat for Use), there's an orange box that says:

It's also repeated in Section 12 - Securing Child In Car Seat (page 42).

I really thought that was the case and that I hadn't misread. :eek: It's been nearly a year, but I combed it page by page when I did the review last spring.

Thank you. I was about to go out to my car and grab the manual. I knew I read that the other day.

Also, in the 'fitting the seat to your child' section it really irks me that the chest clip is never placed back at armpit level... yet the lady has enough time to put the binky back in the kiddos mouth.

Madeline410

Thank you. I was about to go out to my car and grab the manual. I knew I read that the other day.

Also, in the 'fitting the seat to your child' section it really irks me that the chest clip is never placed back at armpit level... yet the lady has enough time to put the binky back in the kiddos mouth.
Yes! This! Show parents that the chest clip needs to be at armpit level AFTER the child is buckled in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC