A few Car Seat questions...

U

Unregistered

Hi, I am looking to buy a new car seat for my 18 month old. Right now she is in her Sister's old Cosco Scelera (sp?) It is still ok to use since it was manufactured February 2006. It is starting to get old looking. We don't have a car so it has been installed, uninstalled, used as a seat in grocery carts, etc. We are buying a car soon so I would like to get her a new car seat that I can get installed and kept in there. My daughter is 25 pounds 1/2 ounce and 83 cms tall (just had her 18 month appt today) and I am looking for a carseat that forward faces past 40 pounds. I want one that will last a long time. Something not too expensive either. Around 100 if possible. I live in Newfoundland. The only places we have to buy a car seat is Zellers, Walmart, Canadian Tire and Sears. We don't have credit cards for Babies R Us is out.

Also I wanted to ask a question for my Sister in law. She is due to have twins next month and we were wondering what is the best way to put the carseats in the car? One on each side or one in the middle and one behind the passanger seat?

Thank you for your help!

ADS

mommycat

ETA: I just read back and saw your budget... so that changes things somewhat...

(Note to self: 83 cm =32.7")

Good job keeping your child safely restrained all this time even though you don't own a vehicle. :)

Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have your 18mo FF? At 18mo she should really be rearfacing, and continue to RF for a long time yet. RF to the limits of the seat is recommended by Transport Canada and the minimum age we like to see kids RF is 2yo because of the very significant safety benefits of RF over FF for younger kids. For some more info, please ask us or see:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube- Rear facing is safer[/ame]
http://www.joelsjourney.org/

I would get a seat which will RF as long as possible, then harness for a long time FF. The new models of the Scenera are actually a good option as they RF to 35lbs but they don't FF for very long.
ETA out of the ones I told you about I would really only leave *the First Years True Fit (Zellers - often on sale for about $150, online at BRU). I would also add to your list the newer models of the Cosco Alpha Omega 3in1s - they RF to 35 lbs, then FF harness to 50 lbs with 17.5" top slots which is a nice height, BUT these make a very POOR booster for the majority of kids so I would definitely NOT plan to use it as such. They can be found for a decent price at Zellers and Walmart. Zellers quite often has these on sale for $119-$139. Do make sure to check the stickers for a 35lb/50lb seat though, since there are still some 30/40 seats with low top slots around. Oh oh oh! And also look at the Evenflo Triumph Advance (NOT the Titan). It RF only to 30 lbs but you still have another 5 lbs to go, and has a nice tall shell, and then FF to 47lbs with pretty tall top slots. It's at Sears for $169.99, I think (some) Walmarts have them, and online at BRU for $159.99.

If you really can't go over $100, I would buy a new Scenera to RF in (~$90, Walmart), and then save up for a good FF seat for when that is outgrown.
Canadian Tire really has a pretty poor selection of car seat choices at this time. :(

ETA these may be too m uch over your budget though they are great seats so if you could extend the budget, they would be nice choices:
So, I would look at [well over $100: the various models of Sunshine Kids Radian (you would have to buy this online, most likely unless there is a small baby store near you which carries these)], TF moved above*, [the Graco MyRide (Walmart, Sears, online at BRU) - also over $200, sometimes on sale for ~$180ish],
[over $200 as well: the Safety 1st Complete Air (Walmart or online at BRU)].

This thread will give you some stats:
http://car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=36056

You want to look at a higher weight limit, tall top slots and a tall shell. Most kids outgrow seats by height before weight, and your DD sounds fairly light, so you don't need to worry too much about getting a seat which will FF to 65 lbs vs say, a 50lb seat. We can give you more detailed reviews of the seats after you have a look around and see what you like.

If you are only going to FF, then we can suggest other seats which will last longer.

It might also help if we know the age, height and weight of your older DD, and what seat she currently rides in, as sometimes it makes more sense to pass a seat down and get a new one for the older child.

For your SIL: If you can fit the seats side by side, the center seat provides some additional protection, and I believe being installed next to another seat also provides some additional protection, so I would do that. It would also allow someone to ride in the back next to the babies. However, in many cases it is difficult to get 2 seats side by side, depending on the vehicle and the seats. So if she can't do it, installing both outboard is fine as well. My kids ride outboard in the smaller vehicles and side by side in the truck.

Last edited:

mommycat

I need to start reading more carefully! I updated above, and THEN saw the no-CC comment. Short story, look at the TF, EFTA and AO at Zellers/Sears/Walmart. Wait for a sale if you can. Or get the new Scenera.

If you are only FF (though I urge you to look at the benefits of RF longer) then the seat I was going to suggest, the Evenflo Maestro, is at BRU. :( But then, I would like to hear what your older DD is riding in in case you can trade down the seat.

featherhead

I need to start reading more carefully! I updated above, and THEN saw the no-CC comment. Short story, look at the TF, EFTA and AO at Zellers/Sears/Walmart. Wait for a sale if you can. Or get the new Scenera.

If you are only FF (though I urge you to look at the benefits of RF longer) then the seat I was going to suggest, the Evenflo Maestro, is at BRU. :( But then, I would like to hear what your older DD is riding in in case you can trade down the seat.

Also, I saw the Evenflo Chase (forward facing only seat) is on Rollback at Walmart for $79 I think. But like mommycat said, please consider rear-facing if at all possible.

mommycat

The Chase is a pretty good option for harnessing past 40 lbs (up to 47lbs) and doesn't break the bank, especially on sale - thanks for pointing that out. If you get it, please check booster fit carefully when the time comes as it often doesn't make that good a booster either.

U

Unregistered

Thanks for all of your replies. I have kept my 18m old rear facing until she was 15 months. Then we decided to turn her around. I find it easier to install the carseat forward when we are in a hurry. (waiting on cabs) I can get it in a lot tighter then if I put it rearfacing.

My older daughter is in a graco turbo booster (highback). I know that she is young to be in a booster but she is 60 pounds and 44 inches tall. She is a very big girl for her age.

My SIL has a 2005 Chevy Impala. I don't know if that will help and and she has two brand new Designer 22 carseats made by safety first. I think the DOM is October or November 2009. They both have bases.

U

Unregistered

I don't mind having to buy a booster after my younger dd outgrows her car seat. I am just looking for a good, inexpensive ffing carseat that harness past 40 pounds. I would like to keep her in a harness for a long time. My older daughter was such a big baby that I am always worried about her. She will be 4 this month and in a booster. I have looked into getting her a carseat that harness to 65 but that only leaves 5 pounds. She could gain 5 pounds in a very short time.

mommycat

I think you are right that it may not make much sense to buy a harnessed seat for another 5 lbs. However, if you feel that she is not able to sit well in the booster yet it might be worth it to keep your younger DD in her current seat (assuming you feel it is still safe) and get a 65lb seat for your older child. At this age they do slow down the weight gain so she may have a while to go after all. Then when one of them outgrows her seat, pass that down to DD2 and bring the booster back out for her then. Is DD1 very tall as well as heavy? Could you sit her against the wall and measure from the floor to her shoulder? If your car as headrests, you might be able to find a Safety 1st Apex (it needs the headrestraints though) for about $100-$150, it would keep them harnessed to 65lbs.

U

Unregistered

That is a good idea. We just bought a car today. Is is a Volkswagen Passat and it does have the headrests in the back. On both back side seats. I did notice they have the Safety 1st Apex 65 on Babies R Us for $100. Maybe I can see if my Grandmother or Aunt will buy it for me on one of their credit cards and I pay them cash.

Hmm maybe I can try and see if we can afford two of those seats. Would it be ok to have one on each side? Are they good seats? When my oldest outgrows that seat I can put her back into her booster and pass that seat to my Sister in Law.

LittlePeanut

IMO I don't think 2 Apex 65 seats would make much sense. If I were in your shoes, what I would do is buy an Apex for DD1 and have her harnessed to 65 lbs, whenever that may be. I would leave DD2 in the Scenera and since you now have your own vehicle and installing "on the fly" is no longer an issue, I would install it RF until she reaches the 30 lb limit. You could save up and consider a seat that would allow her to RF longer or flip her FF (hopefully she will be at least 2 y/o by then) and use the Scenera to FF to 40 lbs. Once DD1 reaches 65 lbs she can move back to the TB and when DD2 reaches 30 lbs, if you decide to flip her at that point, move her to the Apex if it's not in use.

Does that make sense?

Alternatively, you could also buy a new Scenera that RF to 35 lbs and then you will have a nice new seat. They go on sale approx every 6 weeks at Zeller's for $65-70.

IMO I would sooner use an old looking Scenera RF for an 18 m/o who is well within the limits than use a new Apex FF.

mommycat

I agree with LP, I wouldn't buy two of the Apex65s. Definitely measure DD1s torso height (sitting down by wall, bum to shoulder) to get an idea of fit, or best yet, go see if your Zellers has the Apex for you to try her in - our does. The top slots are about 17" and at 44" tall, it will depend on DDs proportions whether she would still fit the harness by height or not. The straps need to come out at or above her shoulders in a FF seat. If she doesn't fit anyway, I might not get that seat. The Evenflo combination seats are also all out since DD1 is over the weight limit on all of them, and the Nautilus and Frontier are the only seats which would probably fit, but they are both over $200 at full price.

If you can't swing that then keep DD1 in the Turbo booster HBB, which usually provides good fit, and get another seat for DD2 since since she sounds like she might not need the high weight limit as much. In that instance I would consider getting the Evenflo Maestro, it is $129.99 at BRU and has 18" top slots and a 47lb harnessed weight limit. It would buy you more time in the harness by height. It makes a pretty well-fitting booster as well but it doesn't adjust higher, so if DD2 outgrows the harness by height she won't have much time left in it as a booster, either. If you worry that she will gain weight quickly and outgrow by weight, then stick with the Apex, keeping in mind that for carpools, etc you will have to remember to check that DD has head support from the vehicle seatback/headrest up to at least the tips of her ears.

I am hoping DD1 has room to grow in the Apex, though.

And another thought - you could try to find and buy a new Scenera cover. Advertise a wanted ad on kijiji for a Scenera cover in good condition, maybe someone with an expiring or crashed seat will see the ad and let you have a newer looking cover for peanuts.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC