I'm worried I picked the wrong infant seat!(keyfit)

american_mommy

So I did so much back and forth between the SR and the KF and got the Miro KF.I love the seat. But I wasn't expecting on having a 10 lb baby! My last baby was 6 lb 2 1/2 oz at birth and he was my 4th so we had no clue what to expect. My other kids were all bigger. Now Carter is a month old and weighs 13.6 lbs. I will have to take the insert out soon and he just looks kind of big. I am worried he will be squished in there.
Has anyone had a big baby in the Keyfit? I wanted to have it for the extended weight limit now I don't know that I will benefit from that! I don't want to even mention it to dh that he looks big in there after all the stressing I did trying to choose.
But I do love that seat :)

Tammy

ADS

barnmama25

First off the bottom insert needs to be removed by 11 pounds. The head pillow insert is optional, so if you want to you can remove it (as are the shoulder pads).
I think that if you had gone with the Snugride you would have been even more dissapointed, unless it was the SR32.
At only 13.6 pounds I don't think your seat is a bad choice for him. As long as his head is within one inch from the top of the shell and he is below the 30 pound weight limit, he still fits.
I bought the Mia Moda Viva supreme for my sister (22 pound weight limit) and regretted not getting her the Keyfit30 once her son started reaching the weight limit at six months, although I just found out it was recalled so that makes me regret it even more!
FWIW, I would have used the KF30 for my daughter until she was around 18 months, if it had been on the market when she was born (and yes she looked squished at that age when I tried her in it, but she was still within the limits).

Jennifer mom to my 7

Eh, I loved my keyfit! My ds was 8lbs, 15 oz at 37 weeks 3 days, and needed a nicu stay. He was close to 14 pounds at 12 weeks, and has a huge torso. Even my "average" ds was only a month behind that (he was 21+ pounds at 10 months, baby was 21+ pounds at 9 months). But, 3 year old would have made it to 9+ months in it, and 1 year old only about 7 (if I was lucky:p).

baby at 1 week (it is a 22 pound keyfit) coming home from the hospital
_MG_2949_19.jpg

at 1 month
Vinnykeyfit1.jpg

at 6 months
IMG_5436_1.jpg

I wouldn't stress too much, yet. ANd even so, I heard the snugride 32/35, isn't "that" much taller. So, I don't regret getting the keyfit, at.all.

Spam

I wouldn't stress about it either. I also a KF30 in Miro :love: for the little one coming, and i'm not expecting it to be small. A was 8.10, dh and i were both 10lb babies. I used a ss1/sr32 for A, and still moved him out of it at six months. He had a long torso and would have out grown it before a year anyway. I like the kf more than the sr32/35. Here's a pic of him at 8 months i think in the kf30
austinMay092009-05-10_4.jpg
austinMay092009-05-10_6.jpg

essnce629

DS2 just turned 9 months old and is not a heavy baby (only 18lbs), but he's really long (30") and has a really long torso (he's in 18 month clothes for the length). He was 8lbs 10oz at birth and we needed to move his Keyfit30 straps to the second slots when he first rode in the carseat at 2 days old. We moved the straps to the highest position at 6 1/2 months I think. He's a smidge away from outgrowing his Keyfit (probably has about 1/4" of growth left) and we have a TFP coming next week. I thought the Keyfit would have lasted till he was at least 1 since DS1 lasted in his 22lb infant seat till he was 10 months old and the seats are bigger now 6 years later. At first I was bummed and thought I should have went with the SS1/SR32, but I tried him out in one just recently and he probably had about a 1/2" more of growth than the Keyfit, so it wouldn't have lasted him that much longer. I wouldn't stress about it too much since he'll probably make it to at least 8 months in the seat and the SR32 wouldn't give you that much more growing room either.

american_mommy

Thank you all! And crap I was thinking I read the insert could stay till 14 lbs now I have to remove it! It is more of a pain really since he is so big. I also hate using the cover we have to keep the cold off him. My sister has a 4 mth old and said she stopped using her cover, she joked it was like giving birth trying to squeeze him in and out :) And trying to take it off and on is even more annoying. This is my first real winter baby and I am not enjoying the nuisance!

Tammy

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
you know what, it's okay. for whatever reason, we spend all this time and usually bucketloads of money on the infant seat, which is gnerally only used for 6-18 months at the most. Because you're pregnant and it's fun to look at tiny things for your new baby, and you are so excited and it's all so fun. But really, the seat that is the most important, that you will use the longest, is the convertible seat you will buy next. it will last your child from when they get out of teh bucket, usually around 9 months, until they are 5-7 years old or so. So go ahead and start now!! Start drooling over all the pretty convertible seats. Remember, what you are looking for is a tall shell with high slots and weight limit. you want something to keep your child rearfacing for a few more years, and then forward facing until they are ready to go into a booster. Happy Shopping!

Meg

I bought the Mia Moda Viva supreme for my sister (22 pound weight limit) and regretted not getting her the Keyfit30 once her son started reaching the weight limit at six months, although I just found out it was recalled so that makes me regret it even more!
If you haven't already done so, fill out the form on Mia Moda's website to get your money back! I bought the Viva in the Fall and once I got the recall notice I filled out the form and had my $110 check in the mail from Mia Moda in no time. All they require is for you to send in the crotch buckle, so hopefully your sister still has the seat.

icnee

My last baby was 9lbs 4oz and did not out grow his keyfit30 till about 12m
this is him napping at about 12m. we were not in the car he just likes to sleep in his seat.

Last edited:

american_mommy

you know what, it's okay. for whatever reason, we spend all this time and usually bucketloads of money on the infant seat, which is gnerally only used for 6-18 months at the most. Because you're pregnant and it's fun to look at tiny things for your new baby, and you are so excited and it's all so fun. But really, the seat that is the most important, that you will use the longest, is the convertible seat you will buy next. it will last your child from when they get out of teh bucket, usually around 9 months, until they are 5-7 years old or so. So go ahead and start now!! Start drooling over all the pretty convertible seats. Remember, what you are looking for is a tall shell with high slots and weight limit. you want something to keep your child rearfacing for a few more years, and then forward facing until they are ready to go into a booster. Happy Shopping!

Unfortunately I won't get to go shopping just yet. This is my 5th baby and we already have a Britax Decathlon from dd that he will use until it expires. And I will keep him rf as long as I can. My 2 1/2 yr old is still rf now :)

barnmama25

If you haven't already done so, fill out the form on Mia Moda's website to get your money back! I bought the Viva in the Fall and once I got the recall notice I filled out the form and had my $110 check in the mail from Mia Moda in no time. All they require is for you to send in the crotch buckle, so hopefully your sister still has the seat.

Thank god for the recall announcements on MSN or Yahoo (can't remember which one I was on, all I know is the old Evenflo convertible they had pictured caught my eye so I clicked the link). I called her right away and she luckily had an Eddie Bauer Designer 22 to use until she picked up her MyRide, which I installed this past week, and I must say, One of the easiest seat belt installs I have ever done.
Anyway that was off topic!! Sorry!

american_mommy

So I took out the infant insert. I wish I had done it awhile ago, I don't know why I thought it could stay till 14 lbs. He looks so much comfier in there! I do wish the canopy was bigger but I love this seat and its so pretty :)
Thanks everyone for making me feel better!

Tammy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC