feedback please

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
I've mad the suggested changes, added different videos and bullet points and removed some of the issues to make it shorter. Any new suggestions?
So I've composed the following letter to parents that I plan to carry with me and hand out at stores, wherever I am plus I'm fairly certain my Pediatrician will give them to their patients. What do you think? Any feedback would be appreciated. Of course, my phone # is on the bottom.

Dear Parent,
My name is Lori. I am a Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST), or Car Seat Technician.
Congratulations on your baby! My goal as a Technician is to help parents make sure their child is as safe as possible when in the car.
Did you know that 96-98% of all car seats are not used properly?
• The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends that ALL children ride rear-facing until at least age 2 and preferably up to the limits of their car seat (usually 30-45 lbs.)? You can watch two very short videos here (each one is less than 15 seconds):
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMFPSStXfqE"]YouTube- Forward facing crash test[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K62Ea8Fs4ng"]YouTube- rear facing car seat crash test[/ame]

that explain how rear-facing is so much safer for your little one.
• Did you know that when your car seat is installed, you should not be able to move it side-to-side more than 1” (where the seatbelt goes through)?
• Did you know that the harness should be snug, so you cannot “pinch” any of the harness strap by baby’s shoulder.
There is much, much more information I’d love to share with you if you are interested. I also offer to do FREE, no-cost car seat inspections/installations to help you be sure your precious little one is as safe as can be.
Lori Farnsworth, CPST

Last edited:
ADS

babygirlsmom1005

I have always loved that video - Madison is adorable and it just makes me smile.

But it's now outdated with seats now reaching 40-45 lbs rear facing and the same seats being able to harness FF'ing beyond 40 lbs up to (well when it's released) 85 lbs.

I think parents need the latest information in order to see that hey - they are reaching greater weights for rear facing, so why would I turn my child who weighs half (or less) that the max allowed of the seat when they can just stay? :twocents:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I think you brought up too many points. Pick three and do those only. Also, seats go rear facing now to 35-45, not just 30-35. Misuse is 96-98%, not 80%. Misinstallation is around 80%. But misuse is much higher.

I don't know if I was just a lay parent if I'd read the whole thing. There are a lot of words there. I'd probably focus on the misuse, the moving to the next step too soon (2+ years rear facing, 5-6 until booster, 10-12 until seatbelt), and then your offer of free and no cost checks.

Wendy

BookMama

Senior Community Member
You might turn that paragraph of "did you know"s into bullet points - I think it would be more readable that way, and more digestible for readers. (And I say this as a writer/editor by profession. ;))

karina250

I think it sounds good, although maybe you ask too many questions "Did you know..." in the last part. I agree with Wendy that some parents might not read it all since its so long.

noahsmom24

Yes Bulletin Points are a great I dea!!
I'm one of those parents that when I'm in a rush I like to SKIM things so Bulletin points to get the gist of things might be a good idea. Those parents that might not be that interested will probably skim as well and those Bulletin points can be where you provide your most important info & HOPEFULLY something will at least stick the next time they are installing their child's seat & give some things a second thought. :)

I think its great what you are doing though!! :thumbsup:

lorismurph

Senior Community Member
Okay, I've edited the letter and made the changes (there will be one other change to the wording about the videos to say that it shows, not explains how RF is safer).
Now what do you think?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Much better, other than:

"The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends that ALL children ride rear-facing until at least age 2 and preferably up to the limits of their car seat (usually 30-45 lbs.)?"

Is that a question?

I'd take out the links to the videos. Maybe link to c-s.org or link to cpsafety.com, but don't make them type out random video links.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC