Question Safety 1st vs Britaz Advocate

C

Carta5455

I've been researching and researching and researching, and I'm about brain-dead still thinking about this. My son is almost 1 year, 24 lbs, 31.5" tall.

What's the overall safety difference between the Safety 1st Air Protect (inside the seat) vs Britax Advocate and the wings on the outside? I know they are designed to do two seperate things, but is one safer than the other? Do they offer the same protection overall in the same areas?

If the Safety 1st seat is only 15.5lbs and for instance the True Fit Premier is 24lbs, wouldnt one think that the heavier seat would protect the passenger within the carseat better?

Ugh, help!

ADS

Maedze

No, there's absolutely no reason to believe that a heavier seat will offer more protection than a light seat.

What we DO know is that rear facing provides the most protection. The Complete Air will last longer, possibly a year or even more longer, in the rear facing position.

steph_s

We have no way of knowing which is safer, which "technology" on what seats work better than others, how they preform in crash tests (minus the sunshine kids products because they released their data). Every car seat on the market has a pass/ fail rating that is it. Will the side impact of one seat work better than another? Will the air pockets in the complete air work like they say? We have no idea nor any way of knowing.

What I can say is that the Britax seats are highly overpriced for what they are! They do not last very long rear facing compared to other brands (and rear facing is statistically better we know that for sure) and children who are rear facing feel squished and run out of leg room even with their legs crossed in the Britax seats.

If I were in your shoes I would look into these seats as they last a good long time rear facing:
-Radian xtsl (has those side impact wings you seem to want)
-Complete Air
-MyRide (deep sides to provide SIP, however will only last about as long as a Britax convertible overall, but will provide more leg room)

Other seats we recommend frequently:
-Truefit
-Evenflo Triumph Advance

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC