I'm ready to cry...

DahliaRW

Ds2 weighed 36 lbs at the dentist yesterday. :crying: He's only 2 1/2. I have him rfing in a complete air, and when I weighed him 2 weeks ago he was right around 32lbs. :( I'm hoping he just went through a growth spurt and I still have time, but I was really hoping the CA would keep him rfing to 4. The radian overreclines in my vehicle, so it's not an option...

And now I feel really bad for putting him in a 33lb rfing radian a weekend ago. :whistle: I knew it was pushing the limit, but he might have actually be over the weight limit...

ADS

babygirlsmom1005

The scales maybe off.....for that much of a weight gain in 2 weeks - one or the other is off.....I would go with a 3rd scale and see what it says.

monstah

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the scales wasn't accurate. But, having a son myself who weighed 40 pounds on his second birthday, I know all to well it could happen.

kandamom

DS2 is just a week older than your ds and also weighs 36 lbs. In your case, I'd double-check the scales, though, just to be sure. My ds has been steadily gaining. I am hoping that the next 4 pounds take him a while to gain.

We do the best we can, as far as rear-facing. Weight gain is so hard to predict at that age. I am hoping that my ds won't officially hit 40 until at least next fall sometime. Great job keeping him rear facing for so long. If you do need to turn him before age 4, you will know that you did everything you could to keep him rear facing as long as possible.

Best of luck.

Jhockley

There's a lot of factors in getting weight- though 4lbs is a big difference. One of the scales was probably off a bit. It'll depend on his clothes, shoes, how full his tummy and diaper are etc. I normally weigh 1.5-2lbs less in the morning (even after breakfast), the Wii keeps telling me it's only accurate if I do it at the same time everyday :)

jennzee

Yeah, I'd check another scale. I took DS to the doctor on a Friday for a well-child checkup and he weighed 30 lbs. Two days later we were back for an ear infection and he weighed 33.5 lbs. on the same scale....even after being sick and cranky for several hours and not eating.

I'm intruiged though....they weighed him at the dentist? I've never heard of that before!

rodentranger

Just to offer a bit of reassurance, my ODS was 33 lbs at 2 yrs, and 35 at 28 months. He's still 35 lbs, almost a year later.:twocents:

DahliaRW

Yeah, not sure why they weigh at the dentist, but it's not a big deal to do.

I would think the scale was off, but my 5yo weight 41lbs which is what he weighs at home.

I will try ds2 on our home scale again. I just have to get him to cooperate!

CarSeatPoncho

Definitely, use the same scale that told you he was 32# -- first oppty in the morning, no bkfst, without his night dipe, before the morning one. If he is feeling squirmy, weigh yourself and then hold him and both step on the scale.

Good luck! Don't feel bad about the rf radian... nothing bad happened, and it's done. :)

DahliaRW

I just weighed him on our home scale again and he's right at 35. So it does seem the dentist's scale was pretty accurate (he had his shoes on then and had just eaten lunch - shoes off at home). Hopefully he'll slow down in growth for a while!

brooklynsmommy

Definitely, use the same scale that told you he was 32# -- first oppty in the morning, no bkfst, without his night dipe, before the morning one. If he is feeling squirmy, weigh yourself and then hold him and both step on the scale.

Good luck! Don't feel bad about the rf radian... nothing bad happened, and it's done. :)

We want fully clothed and a full tummy weight. If they're 34 lbs nakey and hungry, they could easily go over the limit when clothed and fed,

Kat_Momof3

I sympathize... Ruthie was similar at 2.5yrs (but first at 23.5 mo, which was harder) and hit the weight limit of her Marathon (at 23.5mo, she'd hit the 35lb limit of the scenera)...

at least you have the option of rearfacing in the CA or getting another seat... I hated (though I knew I'd done the best I could by rearfacing her as long as I did) having her ff all the time at that age.

DahliaRW

I sympathize... Ruthie was similar at 2.5yrs (but first at 23.5 mo, which was harder) and hit the weight limit of her Marathon (at 23.5mo, she'd hit the 35lb limit of the scenera)...

at least you have the option of rearfacing in the CA or getting another seat... I hated (though I knew I'd done the best I could by rearfacing her as long as I did) having her ff all the time at that age.

Well, the CA is it. Once he's 40 (or very close) he'll have to go ffing. The radian overreclines rfing in my captain's chairs. I might be able to make it work in the 3rd row, but honestly I can't spend that amount of money for another year or so rfing. So I'm going to just see how long it takes him to get to 40. Hopefully with summer apparel soon. that will help too!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC