Best FF seat to remain harnessed?

U

Unregistered

I need to figure out a new seat for my 3.5 year old daughter. She is 42lbs and 41 inches tall and her weight is increasing too quickly to make the Radians worth it simply to RF for another few pounds. I need to keep her harnessed for as long as possible since she has a mood disorder and cannot sit still on her own, my goal is to keep her in a harness until she is 7 years old if not longer. She was in the Graco Nautilus I purchased last year in order to move her Britax Marathon into my Dad's truck but I want something built better, the fabric has already worn through and it's less than a year old, besides it only goes to 65lbs as a harnessed seat.
Im debating between the Britax Regent, Sunshine Kids Radian 80, Sunshine Kids Radian XTSL and the Britax Frontier 85.
Which has the highest harness slots?
What is the SuperLatch on the Radian?
I drive a 2006 Dodge Grand Caravan and can place the seat in a captains chair or on the bench in the rear, wherever it fits best.
I don't know enough about any of these seats to make a decision at this point. What are the pros and cons of each? Are there any which may not install well in my van?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd look at the Frontier 85 when it comes out. It has 20" top slots, 2.5" higher than the Radians (which are often outgrown around 60 pounds). It also turns into a booster, which none of the others do.

The Regent has top slots about the same, and an 80 pound harness limit. No booster. But the price is nicer than the others.

If you're going to forward face I'd ignore the Radians.

The SuperLATCH means you can use LATCH to the limits of the seats, rather than the 48 pound limit your van has, if your vehicle is made after September 1, 2005 (for your vehicle you'd have to check when it was actually made. It may be before or after that date).

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thank you, Graco has a new cover for the Nautilus in the mail now. Im putting that one in my Dad's truck so it gets less use, I'll use the Marathon until she outgrows it then go for the Frontier 85. I checked my van and it looks like the SuperLatch would be worthless for us anyways. Thanks for your help! Next time I'll go straight from the Marathon to the Frontier 85

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC