Question What do I do now? 19mth old and 6 month old

cjfrogg

Hi!! I have a 19 month old son and a 6 month old daughter. My son is currently in a Britax marathon, daughter is in Chicco carrier. Both of my kiddos are tall and carry their height in their torso. My DH and I are looking into what car seat to buy next. Do we buy a new marathon for my daughter, or do we pass the Marathon onto her and buy him a differant car seat (one that can be used longer) I was looking at the Britax Frontier but it says from 2 yrs old (I anticipate that my daughter will be too tall for her carrier before she is 11 months old)... Any help/suggestion/ideas?? TIA!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Your son is at an age where it is much safer to keep him rear-facing. Rear-facing as long as possible is the safest choice! I'd get him a seat that will last longer by both weight and height rear-facing, and pass the Marathon down to your daughter. :)

I'd look at the Sunshine Kids Radians (all models rear-face to either 40 or 45 lbs. with tall shells) and the Safety 1st Complete Air (all models rear-face to 40 lbs. with an even taller shell) for a long-torsoed child. :)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I agree with KQ. I'd look at the Radians or Complete Air, give your daughter the Marathon for now, and rear face your son for a couple more years. THEN look at the Frontier, or whatever similar is out then.

Wendy

Mommy2Marcus

I agree with the other 2 lady's that posted! I had my son RF till he was 3 years & 4 months old. He liked it, was safer & was much more confy when sleeping on long rides. So deffinatly look into keeping them both RF for a long while to come. Also know that when they're older & RF that they can be more upright, so a convertible will actually take up less room RF for either one. Here is a video showing WHY to keep them RF.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyIv9QVRBE"]YouTube- Rear facing is safer[/ame]

DahliaRW

I totally agree with the above posters. Both the radian and the complete air are great for long torsoed kiddos (both my boys are and I own both seats!). The radian can take up a lot of room front to back, depending on your vehicle, so make sure you buy somewhere with a good return policy if you go with the radian.

armywife12

I, too, agree with the previous posters. A child under 2 yrs old should definitely stay RF for a while longer. I also agree with the recommendations you already have. I would pass down the Marathon and buy a Radian or Complete Air for your older tot. I prefer the Radians and love our XTSL for my tall torsoed 2.5 yr old.

swtgi1982

Here is a picture of my 2yr 9mon old in the Complete Air and also my 4yr 1mon old in hers as well (neither are installed) but this is what both of mine use ERFing. Yes, both are still RF.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

this is also a good video
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWKm7SenDHU"]YouTube- Keep Kids Rear-Facing![/ame]

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC