Question What to do after a crash?

E

emk78

We were in a car accident 2 days ago. DS is 25 months old and he was riding rear-facing in his Boulevard, and he wasn't hurt. I checked the manual and it says to replace the car seat after a moderate or sever accident. But how do I know if the accident was moderate or minor?

The Britax website says we don't need to replace the seat if we answer yes to ALL the questions in the list: http://www.britaxusa.com/customer-service/faq/after-a-crash

My husband and I have minor neck injuries (sprains) from whiplash, so should I count that as a yes for "There were no injuries to any of the vehicle occupants"? We were hit from behind at about 40 mph by a compact car after we had to stop suddenly for another car, and we were in an SUV (Ford Escape). Our car has a lot of hidden damage (the entire floor of the trunk is bent upwards).

So my question is: should I get a new car seat?

ADS

Maedze

That doesn't mean the qualifications for continued used, so yes, it should be replaced. The insurance of the at-fault party will generally cover the cost unless you're in a no-fault state.

E

emk78

Thanks!

I just read in another thread that seatbelts and LATCH anchors may need to be replaced, too? I'm guessing that applies to our accident?

E

emk78

That doesn't mean the qualifications for continued used, so yes, it should be replaced. The insurance of the at-fault party will generally cover the cost unless you're in a no-fault state.

Sadly we moved overseas 2 months ago, and here insurance does not cover the car seat. Still, I'll pay for a new one for our peace of mind (but I can't feel too happy about paying $500 for a new Boulevard).

Maedze

Sadly we moved overseas 2 months ago, and here insurance does not cover the car seat. Still, I'll pay for a new one for our peace of mind (but I can't feel too happy about paying $500 for a new Boulevard).

Goodness, where do you live? I can't in good conscience recommend paying 500 dollars for a Boulevard. Or even, really, 300 for one :p

Depending on where you live you may have more affordable choices that create a much better product.

How was your seat installed, what seating position and what vehicle? (good on you for the rear facing!)

E

emk78

Goodness, where do you live? I can't in good conscience recommend paying 500 dollars for a Boulevard. Or even, really, 300 for one :p

Depending on where you live you may have more affordable choices that create a much better product.

Mexico, every baby product here costs up to 3 times as much. I've seen Cosco Sceneras at $200, Peg Pereggo Primo Vaggios at $630, etc.
I'm also considering getting an Evenflo Triumph, instead of the Boulevard, but DS has an insane attachment to his car seat. I'll be flying to Texas next month so maybe I'll get a Britax there and then use the cheaper seat I get now for DH's car. There's also some brands here I've never heard of, so I'm trying to stick to Evenflo, Graco, etc.

How was your seat installed, what seating position and what vehicle? (good on you for the rear facing!)

Our seat was installed with LATCH in the middle position of the back seat of our 2002 Ford Escape, the tether was hooked to the base of the front seat. And I was so glad he was RF, thanks to that he was not hurt, I'm sure he would have hurt his neck if FF, since DH and I did get hurt. After this experience I'd like to keep him RF as long as humanly possible, LOL!

E

emk78

What if you got one shipped from the U.S.? Would that work?

I think the savings wouldn't be to significant, since I'd have to pay a tax of about 20%, plus shipping and handling... I'll check it out anyway.

mommy-medic

Check the owners manual of the vehicle, but I don't think that vehicle has center LATCH (can anyone verify?)

If your vehicle doesn't allow center latch, you can still use the center, just use the seatbelt for installs. The latch anchors are two anchors attached to one solid bar inside your vehicle seat. Most vehicles have them outboard. Using two separate anchors to "create" a center LATCH position unevenly distributes the forces and is NOT allowed.

If your vehicle does in fact have center latch anchors then disregard the above- maybe someone else can benefit from it though.

As per your original question- if you got rear ended at 40 mph enough to cause structural damage to the floor of the trunk then yes, I would absolutely replace the seat. It did it's job. :thumbsup:

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Check the owners manual of the vehicle, but I don't think that vehicle has center LATCH (can anyone verify?)

If your vehicle doesn't allow center latch, you can still use the center, just use the seatbelt for installs. The latch anchors are two anchors attached to one solid bar inside your vehicle seat. Most vehicles have them outboard. Using two separate anchors to "create" a center LATCH position unevenly distributes the forces and is NOT allowed.

If your vehicle does in fact have center latch anchors then disregard the above- maybe someone else can benefit from it though.

Good idea to double check on that, and in the OP's case, it's an allowable installation for the Blvd. :) The '01-'09 Ford Escape allows for a center lower LATCH anchor installation if the carseat manufacturer also allows it with the borrowed lower LATCH anchors spaced at 16 inches apart. Britax allows borrowing when the vehicle permits when the spacing between borrowed lower anchors is between 11 and 20 inches, so it's all good in this case, as long as the kiddo weighs less than Ford's lower LATCH anchor installation weight limit of 48 lbs. :thumbsup:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member

From the LATCH manual:
2nd Row Center: CAN install flexible LATCH CR if CR instructions allow. Spacing between center anchor si 400 mm(16 inches).

Here's what's in the LATCH manual re: Britax & center installs:
Center Position use with non-standard spacing: inner bars of outboard lowe anchors can be used with models wiht flexible attachments if: (1)spacing between innerbars is between 11 and 20 inches; and (2) the vehicle manufacturer dows not prohibit use of wider-spaced bars.

So---per those 2 passages, she's allowed to install a Britax seat in the center of that vehicle.

Susan

E

emk78

Thanks for all that info on the center LATCH. I've been using my mom's car while my car is in the shop, and I didn't even think to check the manual to see if I can use center LATCH in her car. I'll do it right now. It's a Volvo XC90, 2004 I think.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Hi there again. :) LATCH equipped Volvo models have dedicated sets of LATCH in the outboard seating positions only, and Volvo doesn't allow borrowing to do a center lower LATCH anchor installation. You'll need to install in the center with the vehicle seatbelt, or do an outboard LATCH or seatbelt installation in your mom's Volvo.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
What if someone in the States bought the seat you want (hopefully at a good price) and then sent it to you as a gift (possibly after you "gifted" them the same amount of money? :whistle: ) Would it still be taxed that high?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC