Evenflo Chase LX 2 in 1 20lbs-100lbs Car Seat

BellasMom

Hi...I just had this seat given to me and I was wondering what people's opinions are on it...the manufacture date is October 2009 so its basically brand new... I would greatly appreciate any comments or concerns thanks...

Lauren

ADS

Maedze

It's a harnessed seat from 20-40 pounds. It's not a bad choice for a lighter, older kid. I wouldn't use it for a kid under three as a child that age is ideally rear facing.

It then converts to a very bad booster which creates a very poor belt fit. Despite the fact that it's rated to 100 pounds, no 100 pound child will fit into it. I imagine most kids would outgrow it in booster mode by the age of 6 or so.

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Everything else applies, though--it doesn't make a very good booster, so once your child either reaches 47lbs or his/her shoulders are even with the top slots, it would be highly recommended that you purchase a good dedicated booster.

-Nicole.

BellasMom

The seat was free...my daughter can not use it right now as she is only 10 months old and 21 lbs so I was a little disapointed when I noticed it wasn't rear facing...I guess I'm debating whether to store it until she can use it or maybe keep it as a seat for when the grandparents have her once she is 1 and can technically sit in it...or whether I should give it away ?

Maedze

The seat was free...my daughter can not use it right now as she is only 10 months old and 21 lbs so I was a little disapointed when I noticed it wasn't rear facing...I guess I'm debating whether to store it until she can use it or maybe keep it as a seat for when the grandparents have her once she is 1 and can technically sit in it...or whether I should give it away ?

I would not recommend using it as even a spare seat for a one year old. Ideally, she should be in a rear facing seat in all vehicles for several years to come.

Is the seat new or used?

QuassEE

Moderator - CPST Instructor
If the seat came from a trusted source, has never been in a crash, has the manual, and all of the parts..there's no harm in storing it until you need it. While your child should be rear-facing until at least 2, and ideally longer, you could use it as a secondary seat and/or travel seat at or after the age of 2.

-Nicole.

tjham

Yes, to that! I had one as a travel seat and it worked quite well. It is pretty light. The top slots are pretty high. I could have used it much longer with my short-torsoed granddaughter but she outgrew it by weight (in the US).

BellasMom

I would not recommend using it as even a spare seat for a one year old. Ideally, she should be in a rear facing seat in all vehicles for several years to come.

Is the seat new or used?

it was given to me by a trusted non profit organization that helps families in the community...our problem is money is tight, my husband is laid off and I'm on mat leave so they were suppose to help us out with a rear facing car seat so when I picked it up I didn't read the box and then got home and realized it was a forward facing...so we will have to buy a seat for our car anyways ... I guess if people didn't think this was a very good seat then I wasn't going to waste the space and store it

Maedze

it was given to me by a trusted non profit organization that helps families in the community...our problem is money is tight, my husband is laid off and I'm on mat leave so they were suppose to help us out with a rear facing car seat so when I picked it up I didn't read the box and then got home and realized it was a forward facing...so we will have to buy a seat for our car anyways ... I guess if people didn't think this was a very good seat then I wasn't going to waste the space and store it

It's a perfectly safe seat :) Can you call the organization and explain you were supposed to get a convertible and somehow ended up with a combination seat? They absolutely shouldn't have given you that seat considering your child is 10 months old.

If you haven't taken the tags off, I'd repack the seat and see if they will do a switcheroo, because someone messed up on their end.

BellasMom

It's a perfectly safe seat :) Can you call the organization and explain you were supposed to get a convertible and somehow ended up with a combination seat? They absolutely shouldn't have given you that seat considering your child is 10 months old.

If you haven't taken the tags off, I'd repack the seat and see if they will do a switcheroo, because someone messed up on their end.

I think the girl who I was talking with gave me what they had...I dont think they have alot of them laying around

LittlePeanut

I have some money set aside that I raised in a car seat clinic to assist with car seat purchases. I was planning on buying a Scenera (basic seat that RF to 35 lbs and FF to 40 lbs) with some of the funds. Perhaps, depending on your timeline (as I won't be in ON until the end of April/early May), I could help out? We could swap a new Scenera for one of your FF combo seats and then I could donate that seat to another family in need?

LMK if I can help out :)

mommycat

I like LittlePeanut's idea if you can wait that long. While the seat is ok to store it also has a 6 year expiry, so if you can trade it in for a convertible then you won't have to spend any money now and you won't have to store a seat you can't really use while its life is ticking away. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC