Why am I starting to like the Ford Flex?!

Jenng22

Hi Ladies,

You know I posted so much about the Mazda 5 here, and was like so set on that car as our next vehicle, but now my Husband and I are really considering the Flex. I have to say the looks threw me off at first, but it's growing on me. The space and quiet interior is probably fantastic as well!

Anyone have one of these cars here on the board?
If so, do you like it?

You know I am so struggling with my next car choice... I have one Son, and want one more child in the next year or so. I have an Acura RDX now but want something bigger, with AWD (preferrably) and something somewhat more affordable.

Decisions, decisions!
:D

ADS

The interior is supposed to be wonderfully flexible.

The exterior is supposed to be unique but trendy, but I think it looks ugly. It's hard to do boxy but cute.

Jenng22

I agree Codex57! I think its ugly, but I might be able to get over that if I have a great interior ;) It reminds me of those old surfer wagons, which I am sure was the intention, or a blown up mini cooper... just curious about it. My DH is going to speak with the dealership tomorrow. Not sure what lease/financing rates are like nowadays...

ILoveMy3Boys

On vacation last summer my husband and I walked by a Ford lot and he said he liked the Flex and I told him it was disgusting. Fast forward a few months later and we are at a Ford dealership in town and decide to test drive one... OMG I love it so much. The inside is so beautiful, its so comfortable and just hard to describe! It is way out of our price range but when we are done having kids if we fit in one it will be in the top slot for possibilities for our next car. My husband who is usually a truck or SUV guy said even if our family doesn't fit in one then he'd like to have one as his car.

All I can say is go test drive one... they are awesome!

Last edited:

Jenng22

The more I ask people, the more I get the same answer! I hated it, then I LOVED IT! I am sure if my DH goes in to the dealership tomorrow, he'll work a deal and we'll probably get it in the spring. It is pricey, but I might just lease it... I wanted to buy my next car, but I work at home, so mileage is not a concern at all. I am just struggling with how much room do I really need type thing... good to hear though!

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I went to the auto show and played with one. If it had 4 wd, it would be on my short list.

The inside is great. I don't see that installing seats would be an issue.

The ouside, black with the silver, I like it! The look, I thought was a little weird, but I like it.

Heather98012

When you say it's growing on you, do you mean like a fungus? ;)

I think they are fugly. There is no way anyone could get me to drive one. But regardless of that, I think they are insanely overpriced. DH kinda liked the looks of them until he saw the price & actually laughed out loud. For that kind of cash, he'd just get a new Sequoia to replace his old one.

BudgieStew

I went to the auto show and played with one. If it had 4 wd, it would be on my short list.

The inside is great. I don't see that installing seats would be an issue.

The ouside, black with the silver, I like it! The look, I thought was a little weird, but I like it.

It comes with optional AWD, is there a difference between 4WD. I've goggled it before but can't remember now. Not surprising since I have a big Drama King whining in my ear right now.
Our 09 Limited has AWD, first car I've owned that has it and and I could not live without it without it now. In fact I don't think I could live without the car. DH and I were looking at a Honda CrossTour the other and I told no way no how was I driving anything but the Flex(unless we could not afford it but I would cry for a long time)

Last edited:

BudgieStew

I was one of those that hated it based solely on the outside. I told DH there was no way I would ever drive one and then when we were at the dealership got in a few, I fell in love. It is defiantly not a Ford inside.

We got our 09 Limited AWD in August, It is a Cinnamon with White Roof, 6 Seater with console with Charcoal Leather ,Vista Roof, Nav System with back-up camera, sensor and front DVD, Overhead DVD for the kids, Remote Start and Tow Package plus the Limited comes standard with a million things. Ihaven't even set up the Sync yet.

I wanted the dual headrest DVD player for the second row which is now standard on the 2010 and the refrigerator/freezer console but was unable to find one with it. The freezer/fridge console would really have been overkill. In fact if one used the third row that often the second row console would be a pain.

I've installed a Radian in the second row and third row and after figuring out the trick had no problems. The Marathon and GN are easy as pie to install. B

I love love love the Flex. The only thing I hate is the dinky windshield wiper for the back window. It needs to be bigger. And at first the headrest bother some people as they are protruding but once you get the memory seat adjusted to how you like it you don't even notice it. And the second row console opens from the back, the front would have been much easier for someone sitting in the front or second row to open. I think those were my only issues.

It also drives really well. I have no hesitation on taking it out in a winter storm, the Advance Trac has only come on once this winter whereas our Freestar it was only all the time in the winter. Granted it does not have a great pick up but it is not a sports car and it is a very heavy so it is understandable. The 2010 with EcoBoost has more horsepower and better fuel milage.

Last edited:

It's like my Ridgeline truck. Just Fugly on the outside, but man, the interior and storage possibilities are awesome! The AWD is like a cherry on top. I haven't tried, but it seems like 3 across won't be a problem even with wide seats.

Mirandagrate

DH and I were considering a flex but we got a Saturn Outlook instead (GMC Acadia/Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave) and we LOVE it! I've never had trouble installing a seat so far! It's one of the top safest too!

kathysr98

I :love::love::love: the Flex. I WILL own one...eventually. It is the most awesome vehicle I've looked at in a long time. I loved it before the EcoBoost version came out, but now I REALLY love it. Dang you people for making me want to buy a new car now!

Jenng22

I have to say I will be starting a new thread soon, lol. I started this one here about the Flex, thinking I needed a ton of space... but it turns out, I decided on a 4dr sedan instead.

If anyone has ever owned an Acura, or has dealt with them for either buying/leasing knows one thing... they keep their customers happy.

I test drove the Acura TL, 2010 base model today and all I can say is WOW. :D
Beautiful car, and the salesman said 5 Star Crash Test Rating for Side Impact/Rear Passengers. Actually, the entire car got 5 Stars across the board!!!!
And the room in the backseat is HUGE, bigger than my RDX Suv!

So they made me an offer I could not refuse. I am getting it tomorrow... I now have to see if my TFP fits in there. But actually if it doesn't I don't care, I will find a seat that will. This car was way too gorgeous to pass up!

And maybe I will switch to Ford someday, but for now, I am an Acura/Honda girl.

Thanks for the replies here, so much fun to read while car shopping!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC