Question they do not use a booster,

Janet

Hi, Any ideas on how I tell stubborn, stubborn relatives that their 5 year old needs in a booster? Thank You

ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
A lot of times people just won't listen, so it might be a lost cause.

Videos are often compelling. I don't have links to any right now, but hopefully someone will post some links.

It always helps to have the law on your side. What state are they in?

MomToEliEm

Do you have the opportunity to talk with this child directly? Sometimes if the parents aren't willing to listen, you can still try to convince the 5 year old that a booster is a good idea so that the child will then ask the parents to get him/her a booster seat. If you have the chance to drive this 5 year old around, you can show him/her that booster seats are really comfy and how much better his seatbelt fits while using a booster seat. If you have another child who is of a similar age, have your child talk highly of his booster seat and how nice it is to sit in (maybe also demonstrate the cup holders or pretty fabric). Hearing the information from another child can go a long way persuading a child to using a booster seat.

If you don't have contact with the child directly, there probably isn't much you can do to get the child's parents to listen. You can bring up pieces of information in a conversation, though bombarding the parents with videos or information will probably not be productive. Do you talk with these parents via facebook? If so, maybe post information there for everyone to see in hopes that the parents will view the information.

BellesMom

Hi, Any ideas on how I tell stubborn, stubborn relatives that their 5 year old needs in a booster? Thank You

When is this child's birthday? You could get a pretty pink one for a girl - or a cool one for a boy - so then the child would want to sit in one. I imagine all of the child's friends are still sitting in a booster (at the very minimum), and at age 5, a child just wants to be like his peers! (Which is why I have my nearly 5 y/o begging me for a booster, even though she's staying harnessed for at least another year!)

Melissa

babyherder

I have talked to the people I babysit for about their carseat usage. I usually start by telling them that I know this information so I feel I should share it with them and then they can make the decision about what to do with it. I promise I will only ever mention this one time. Then I gently point out the misuse and explain how to correct it. If they want to talk about it further/ask questions that's fine. If they seem to be done I smile and say I just wanted to share because I would feel bad if I had this information and they as the parents didn't. Sometimes I throw in something about how horrible it is that this knowledge isn't widely known (not in a way that blames it on anyone, just that I think its a sad situation). Then I change the subject. Most parents take it well.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Do you have the opportunity to talk with this child directly? Sometimes if the parents aren't willing to listen, you can still try to convince the 5 year old that a booster is a good idea so that the child will then ask the parents to get him/her a booster seat. If you have the chance to drive this 5 year old around, you can show him/her that booster seats are really comfy and how much better his seatbelt fits while using a booster seat. If you have another child who is of a similar age, have your child talk highly of his booster seat and how nice it is to sit in (maybe also demonstrate the cup holders or pretty fabric). Hearing the information from another child can go a long way persuading a child to using a booster seat.

I have a few problems with that tactic. First, if the parents still don't buy one, the kid is left disappointed (or worse, feeling unsafe). I also have a philosophical problem with using someone's child to influence their parenting decisions, even if it's for a good reason.

Depending on the state, it may very well be illegal for the child to ride without a booster. If all else fails, a call to the cops might be the only option.

Janet

we live in ohio and I have mentioned that she needs in a booster before and they say they have one, but I've never seen them use it. I may try the facebook thing. I have a 5 & 7 year old, still in 5 point harnesses, so maybe I will use that as a conversation starter. I have a feeling it will fall on deaf ears. I will give it a go. I will also mention some you tube videos to them. We'll see how it goes. I will hope they listen!

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
As I'm sure you know, in Ohio it's now illegal to have a 5yo without a booster... although the law is secondary so the cops won't help much.

I watch a 6yo whose dad will NOT put him in a booster... some days I think he does it just to get my goat. When I brought up the new law, all he had to say was, "They're not ticketing yet." Thanks, the fact that you won't get a ticket for it totally negates the fact that your kid could end up dead.

As far as talking to the relatives, I find that your first chance is your best chance. I've talked to lots of people in the last year since I learned about proper carseat usage... the best tactic I've found is a "one and done," starting with, a "Did you know?!" and emphasizing, over and over, "I always thought I knew a ton about carseats, but then I learned how much I didn't know, and it scares the heck out of me!" while peppering in the relevent stats and suggestions. I'm a blabbermouth, so although I succeed in not accosing people as often as I'd like to (like every day at preschool!) I still manage to have about a carseat confrontation a week, lol. That tactic may not work for everyone, but it's what I've found the most success with. That, and emphasizing a little more... not necessarily encouraging RFing to 4 or boostering to 12, but mentioning those goals in passing as I emphasize the minimums (and explaining why, say, most kids still need boosters past why the law says they do.)

You might even try talking about the new law, and how you learned why they changed it, and that in your research you learned that it's actually still too soft of a law! Scary but true!

If you've already talked yourself blue in the face, unfortunately there's nothing more you can do. Give it a rest and one day they might surprise you. All you can do is keep the child safe while they're in your "posession." I've had to rest in that with some of my kids, although luckily most of my gang has had parents receptive to my new education, lol.

ETA: I don't have the link handy, but the most compelling video to me is the one from Today (I think it's on MSNBC) regarding Ford and their seat belt air bags. It tells the story of a child (or two?) who suffered SBS and is now paralyzed from being moved out of a booster too young. She wasn't super-young, either (6 or 7?), so it really brings the point home, IMO. And makes me terribly sad at the same time. :(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC