What are your opinions on seat belts in buses?

nomatt

Please move this if it isn't an appropriate place for the question... I live in CT and there is a law being discussed to mandate seat belts on buses. I have a lot of questions - mostly that I'm obviously for seat belts but what does that mean for little kids? If it goes forward, should my 5 year old have a booster on the bus? Will the schools check how the seat belt fits every child? Our 3 year old pre-schoolers have safe-go harnessed seats to wear if they ride the bus, but at 4 right now, we have nothing.

Thoughts? Anyone have knowledge on this issue?

Thanks,
Sandy

ADS

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I'm against seat belts on large buses. An unbelted child (and face it, if you stick 40 kids on a bus with 1 adult, somebody is going to unbuckle at the first opportunity) can cause serious injury to a belted child sitting in front of them. The unbelted kid would load into the seat back and trap the belted kid between the seat back and the belt. The risk of injury from everybody being unbelted is actually smaller than the risk of injuries to belted children if some children are not belted.

Also, you have to consider the cost. Adding seat belts to buses is not as simple as just bolting on some webbing. The structure of the bus has to change dramatically. The seats have to be farther apart, thus requiring more buses for the number of children. The number of children who die is bus crashes is astonishingly small. Less than 10 per year on average. Many districts would just have to do away with busing altogether because they could not afford hundreds of thousands of dollars in retrofits. Those kids would then be passengers in family cars and pedestrians and you would actually see the more kids die than if those kids had been unbelted on a bus.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I am strongly against lap-only belts on buses.

I am strongly in favor of mandating harnesses on buses for children under age 6/1st grade.

I am very slightly in favor of lap/shoulder belts on buses if funding is readily available and booster and harness provisions are made appropriately; otherwise I am slightly against.

Not very helpful, I suppose.

InternationalMama

If they put lap-only belts on the buses and your son is in a booster he won't be able to use it, right? Because boosters need a lap-shoulder belt. Or would these belts be 3-point? This sounds like a crazy idea given the cost it would involve and the budget cuts schools are already facing.

Is this a law they are trying to pass for school buses or for all buses?

nomatt

The Gov. of CT just put aside 2 million for buses for our voc. high schools to have seat belts. I am not 100% sure, but I believe the legislation that is coming to the state house is for shoulder belts. After it passes, the districts will have to begin implementation (if it passes).

We did just have a bad bus accident where a student died and many more were injured. This prompted the legislation.

I'm really nervous about it... lots of questions. If it were harnesses, I'd feel a lot better. It may be a few years away from implementation. I just wondered about it and if there was research on the issue.

Thanks,
Sandy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC