Stay at Home Mom with Income?

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
I am jsut learning (as of three hours ago) that I am getting laid off. I am really having a hard time with it because the company I worked for was super flexible with my hours ( I worked when my husband was home, and got off when he had to go to work) and I really don't feel comfortable leaving my DD with anyone. Yea, so besides my sob story, does anyone know of some real good stay at home income ideas? A website that is for real? Just thought I would ask you guys.

ADS

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
You could try Stayin Home & Lovin It or the Mom Team or CEO Moms. They are all Melaleuca teams. I am a Mela customer and tried the business for awhile. My income was rising pretty rapidly, but I didn't like the marketing part of it. It just wasn't for me, but I know there are lots of moms who stay home and make really good money with those teams!

lovinwaves

Aawww bummer... Sorry to hear that. Hang in there, things will get better.

I sell Mary Kay, and to be honest it is a FULL-time job, and you can make however much you want to make. I mean when I first started it was crazy!!! I actually had to step back and refuse people, because it was taking to much time from my kids and family. It is an awesome company to work for, and several of my friends make 6 digit salaries. They work VERY VERY hard though... It is definitely possible to make this a full-time job. At the very least you could give it a shot and just try it. You really can't lose anything, I promise :) If you end up finding another full-time position then you could sell on the side for extra cash! We live on my husband's salary very comfortably so whatever I make with MK is just fun play money!!! hmmm......I think I need another Britax.....LOL :D If you want some more info please feel free to PM me.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Well this isn't for everyone, I am an Early Childhood Educator and couldn't stand the fact that I would pay someone to raise my child while I was raising someone else's! So I brought children into my home! I have two extra little girls 3-4 days a week! I still make a little money and I am at home with my precious little guy :)

CrabbyBunchX3

Sorry to hear the news.
I did Stayin' Home and Lovin' It and was not fond of it. I disliked that I had to purchase the Mela products. After a while of doing it, I ran out of local resources and did not want to spend money advertising elsewhere.

You can become a work at home agent, through workathomeagents.com
You would field phone orders for different companies like HSN and the likes. Plus there are different companies that you would offer customer support for. I did this for a while as well and really enjoyed it.

arly1983

I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and just couldn't leave my son and I was pregnant with my little girl. After some research, I decided to do State Certified Home Daycare. That means I am state regualated and they also pay me to feed my little ones balanced meals. You will have to take CPR, First Aid, and Child care classes and your home will have to be up to code. There are great benefits like I can take almost anything off of my taxes (phone, cable, light, internet bills, 1/3 house payment, any home improvments) The amount of money you would make, however, depends on need for quality child care in your area. This is not really a job for anyone, you are tied down and you would have to like kids alot. But it is an option. If you are interested you would need to find your states childcare website.
Some people also take children into their homes without a license but it really dangorous in that you are not protected against lawsuits, etc. In the state of GA it is actually illegal to do that but every states laws are different. This is not an option that would work for most people but I am loving it.

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
Thanks for all of the ideas. I really appreciate your help. I have a paralegal cert. and some experience, and I know that some people do paralegal work from home, I just dont know how...lol.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I'm about to start work PT out of the home in a month. I haven't figured out a way to make money at home... but I did get free preschool for my son by keeping one of the teacher's little girls in the evenings while she waits tables. I guess if we were doing this conventionally, then I'd get paid instead of getting free tuition for my son. But I guess in a way, it's making money along the lines of child care...

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I have done the Mary Kay thing for about 9 months, i did the whole in home day care thing for 2 years, i didn't really like or love or make great $$ of either of them... Now i work at home as an IBCLC/peer couselor for WIC and i LOVE my job don't make great $$$ at all but i do LOVE it and my kids NEVER have to go to a day care, i arange to see clints when my dh is off work or when they can stay at a family member home...

BABYGIRLLYNDSEY

Sorry to hear of your situation. I am a stay at home mom that left my 17 year career as a bank officer when I had my fourth child. My husband is a teacher, and I have child care in my home. It is alot of work but I it is rewarding too. Hubby helps with the kids when he gets home at 3:30. We budget everything. I clip coupons. The cashiers at Walmart hate to see me coming. I ususally have about 30 coupons and save about $30 on our grocery bill each time I go. It helps. I also buy and sell on ebay. Sell the kids outgrown and buy bigger. Best of luck to you.

I'm sorry to hear about the lay-off. :(

I've been mostly a SAHM for the past 14 years, but I have done in-home childcare, been a Mary Kay consultant, and even WOH FT for about a year in a group foster home for teens. If you want to do a home-based sales business, I recommend choosing something you can really believe in, otherwise it can be very difficult to self-justify trying to convince people they *need* to spend their hard-earned money on your products. This obviously won't be a problem for everybody, but it was for me. :rolleyes: I was a Mary Kay consultant for about 2.5 years, and although I love their products & think they're a great company to join up with, selling skin care products ended up being too hard on my conscience... :(

I also agree with whoever said that doing in-home daycare takes a very special person. I found over the years that I really enjoy watching other peoples' babies & toddlers, but not-so-much the preschoolers & older kids. Too much conflict between my own older children and my charges, and to be honest I don't enjoy having to discipline other people's kids all day. Babies & toddlers are just plain fun to be around, though, so if I ever choose to go this route again, I will be one of the odd ones who takes in only the little ones.

I know several people doing customer service/support from their home for other companies. Most of them are very happy with the arrangements, although I can't speak for the particulars. Good luck with your search for the right job!

stayinhomewithmy6

Senior Community Member
I do daycare, too, BTW. I have a bachelor's degree in early childhood studies, so I can teach birth - age 8 (up to 3rd grade). I know it's not for everyone, obviously. It is alot of work and there is lots of wear & tear on your house. For me, it is great to be able to work in my chosen field and also stay home with my children. It's the best of both worlds.
Also, Jessica said she didn't like having to buy the Mela products. I know some people feel that way, but I am personally addicted to them. I do not know what I would do without them, so even though I only tried the business part of Melaleuca for a few months, I have been a very happy customer for more than 3 years now. As with any sales or marketing opportunity, you have to believe in the products and use them yourself in order to be able to sell them.

KaysKidz

Senior Community Member
If home daycare isn't for you, I found a legitimate WAH business. http://www.alpineaccess.com/external/agentFAQ.html#general They did a feature on the news about it. I was going to look into it if I was unable to continue doing daycare while being a foster parent. But fortunately, it looks like I'll be able to continue doing both.

Another option I'm considering is making cloth diapers. Problem is, I don't know how to sew! LOL Well, that's not entirely true...but I don't excell at it, although I'm sure I could learn!

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I know that some people do paralegal work from home, I just dont know how...lol.

That and medical transcription were my thoughts. (I was going to ask if you had any specific training.)

So ask 'em!! (not to be obvious. . .but that's what networking is all about)

If that doesn't work, contact your local Workforce Development Office. Every state has to have at least one (Dept. of Labor). They have tons of resources for employers and employees, even special programs for groups/industries facing mass layoff. Search "Workforce Development" + your state for the websites and physical locations.

Someone there should be able to tell you have to get connected.

Good Luck!

Lilsid

I am a stay at home mom with one DD and another baby on the way. I do Mary Kay on the side, but at times it can be over whelming. My DH makes all the money for our household to live comfortably. We also invest in Real estate; we have homes that we rent as well as quite a few shopping centers. I do the Mary Kay to keep from getting bored. Since I use to run an international floral business and I was always go go go.

I don’t know of any online businesses that I would really trust, but if you are crafty you may want to make and sell items that you can do from home with your kids kelp.

racesmom

Senior Community Member
I did child care when my oldest was little then went back to work. Now I'm doing child care again. I make more than I was working and can homeschool my oldest- and youngest when the time comes. I'm so thankful to be home with them! I worked until Zane was 14 months and hated it.

With your skills I really think you should be able to find something from home. Work Force Development is a great suggestion.

Sorry about your lay off! I'm sure it can work out for the best.

AdventureMom

Senior Community Member
I had another idea for you. I have had a friend who did a type of personal assistant/receptionist job from home for an attorney who worked from home. She had to do pick up the mail for him each day and drop it off at his house, schedule his appts for him, etc. We were both in grad school at the time (long time ago!) so I don't remember the details of her job or how much she made.

Also, there may be some folks who will give you a dedicated line at home to be a receptionist. The adoption consultant that we are working with has 2-3 people who help her and they all work out of their home.

I'm not sure how many of these jobs are out there or where to find them, but it may be worth looking into if you're interested.

Something that we're trying to do this year is rent out our basement. I'm not sure if your home has the space to do that or not, but if so you could try that. I wouldn't feel comfortable renting out a room in our house so we are going to install an outside-type locking door going to the basement (it has its own outdoor entrance) to partition off the tenant from our family home.

Don't know if these will work for you - seems like you've already gotten some great ideas :)

rlsadc

Senior Community Member
i applied for the alpine at home cust. serv. and they arent hiring in my state...and i dont know how i would do watching other peoples kids. i feel overwhelemed with aleah lol. i had a few friends try markykay, and i have dicussed it with my DH...and i just dont think it is right for me. i think that on manday i will contact my local dep. of labor and see what they say. i also applied to be a WIC bf peer consultant, so hopefully that goes through. thanks again for ALL of your great ideas and thoughts...i really do appreciate them:)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC