Question Cocoro or Zeus for a one year old

mlohry

I don't know a whole lot about these seats, but I like the small amounts that I have heard about the Cocoro. I also saw the Zeus on the Combi website and the idea of it sounded really cool. We have a DD who will be one on Wednesday, she is about 19 lbs and 28 inches. I have a feeling she will be a peanut. Her brothers are average height, but skinny. My 5 and a half year old just hit 40 lbs. He is still harnessed in a GN and our 7 year old just came out of the harness in the GN on his B-day. Would one of these seats be a good buy for my DD? We do a lot of in and out, so the Zeus is really cool looking to me that it rotates for easier in and out. We have a 2005 Odyssey, she is currently in the middle row with the passenger seat pushed to the middle, but may have to move to the driver side in the fall, when both of her brothers are in school. Thanks for any thoughts!

ADS

Evolily

Your child is small. But I would not get either seat, because although she is small, I doubt either would take her to her 6th birthday. Both have very short top harness slots. Plus both are rather expensive, the combination of both these facts make it, to me, not a good buy. Plus she could just take off in size- who knows. I believe Zeus has top slots of 14.5 inches, the Coccoro has top slots of 15 inches- these are both *very very very* short.

Because she is small there are many, many convertibles that will likely last her to booster age. I would go with one of them. The Evenflo Triumph Advance, Graco My Ride, Sunshine Kids Radian, First Years True Fit, Evenflo Symphony, Safety 1st Complete Air- all of these will probably last her until she's booster ready. If budget is a concern, there are a few convertibles for under $100 (Cosco Scenera and Safety 1st Avenue) that will last just as long or longer, for cheaper. All can be found for less than the Zeus, and most for less than the Coccoro.

Now, you definitely could get her either seat, and for her they would probably last longer than the average child. But I doubt either would take her to booster age.

abigaylebelle

I would buy a smallish one year old a coccoro with the understanding that it might be outgrown early at which point I would have to buy another convertible seat. It would be cute and convenient for now and that works for me. The question I guess is whether that works for you.
I will say that my smallish child can still rf in a cco at nearly 3 with plenty of space left above his head.

mlohry

I am really struggling with find a convertible that I like for my DD. Everyone that I have tried there has been something that I do not like, the biggest issue is that the harness adjuster is really tough to loosen and tighten. I thought the design of the zeus would help this out, because I could face her to me and then rear face her. We are really busy doing a lot of in and out of the car, so this is a huge factor to me. I am OK with not getting her to booster size, with this seat because I am amazed by how much seats change from year to year, so I would be OK getting an inbetween seat, I just wish the Combi's went to a higher weight limit.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If you like the Zeus, I highly suggest playing with it. It isn't as easy as you would think to switch from forward to rear facing.

mlohry

I live in MN, I don't think any stores around here sell the Combi seats. I could check a specialty store if I get a chance this weekend.

Evolily

You can always take her in and out without loosening the harness adjuster :thumbsup: that's what I do with A & C. The nautilus has arguably the smoothest harness adjuster available, but I still find it easier not to mess with it.

Kat_Momof3

honestly, I think the rotating and that really only helps in tiny cars... the coccoro has a very smooth adjuster, as does the Graco Myride... which one to get would depend on how long you need/want the seat to last.

the coccoro wouldn't be a bad choice, as it would probably get her rearfacing to age 3 since she's smaller... but the Myride could probably get her to age 6-7 in the harness (age 4-6 rearfacing, depending how small she stays)

skipspin

First, I love my Coccoro! My 30# 3 year old fits Rfing still, so it's not a particualrly short-used seat for me. I don't love it FFing, but as long as you are okay with buying another seat I wouldn't worry about that. If you want her to last in it till booster age or 6 I'd look at another seat altogether.

I would only spend the money on the Zeus if I had a 2 door car that was difficult to get baby in and out of a RFing seat in. Also, keep in mine that it's MUCH higher off the seat and it will probably be hard lifting an older child in and out of.

You could get a Coccoro AND another larger RFing seat or taller FFing seat (depending on how old she is when she outgrows it) for the price of the Zeus. :)

henrietta

The Evenflo Triumph Advance has a super easy harness adjuster! I have trouble w/my hands (arthritis and numbness) and this is one of the few that is really easy for me.

GL!

henrietta

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC