Seats that fit in the Mazda5

essnce629

I notice that upthread Defrost mentioned that according to her Mazda 5 manual (2007 model), the third row headrests must be down before installation and tether routed over the headrest.

Shoot! I never noticed that in my 2009 manual! I'll have to look it up since all the installs I've ever done in the 3rd row have been with the headrests completely removed!!!! Luckily I rarely have seats in my 3rd row since the kids are always in the 2nd row except for when my mom comes to visit.

For some reason I can't edit my OP and I have some more seats to add:

Britax Frontier 85: 2nd row, LBP, no problems (I can't get solid install with SBP like I used to with the original Frontier)

Britax Roundabout 50: 2nd row, rf'ing w/ LATCH, no problems

ADS

luckyclov

Originally Posted by Defrost
Well, I suspect no one's replying because we know we have differing opinions on this. It's all in how you translate the Mazda 5 owner's manual. It does state to push the 2nd-row seats all the way back when installing carseats, but it's debatable whether they state that as a recommendation for ease-of-use, or as a firm rule that has to do with a safety issue.

I'm not sure what the newer manuals say on this, but I personally (saying this with my tech-hat OFF) choose to interpret it as a suggestion for ease-of-use. Technically, the manual says to push the seat back, so as techs we can't do much more than just shrug and say "That's what the manual says." As with any decision, it's up to you to decide what to do, yk?
My '08 manual said the same thing. I didn't have a tech hat to take off, but I chose to interpret it the same way. I just called it one of those parental decision things...and I was perfectly OK with it.

amyd

Shoot! I never noticed that in my 2009 manual! I'll have to look it up since all the installs I've ever done in the 3rd row have been with the headrests completely removed!!!! Luckily I rarely have seats in my 3rd row since the kids are always in the 2nd row except for when my mom comes to visit.

For some reason I can't edit my OP and I have some more seats to add:

Britax Frontier 85: 2nd row, LBP, no problems (I can't get solid install with SBP like I used to with the original Frontier)

Britax Roundabout 50: 2nd row, rf'ing w/ LATCH, no problems

I *think* that the change was written into the manual for 2010, but don't quote me on that. What are your headrests like in the 2009? Are they the ones that hang over the seat back when they are down? I suspect that's what prompted the change in the manual. There's no way I can get a FFing seat installed properly with my headrests down because of how they hang over the front of the seat. I usually take them off, do the tether & then put the headrest back on backwards so I don't lose it somewhere.

luckyclov

The headrests on my '08 didn't "lock" when they were in backwards - did that change with newer models? I know they redesigned the 3rd row seatbelts in, I think, '09...it would be nice if they made the headrest change, too.

amyd

The headrests on my '08 didn't "lock" when they were in backwards - did that change with newer models? I know they redesigned the 3rd row seatbelts in, I think, '09...it would be nice if they made the headrest change, too.

No, they don't lock when they're in backwards, but I figure in & not locked is better than laying on the floor or stuck in the cargo area (as far as projectile risk goes anyway).

luckyclov

No, they don't lock when they're in backwards, but I figure in & not locked is better than laying on the floor or stuck in the cargo area (as far as projectile risk goes anyway).
True.
I had to remove my headrest in the 2nd row when installing my DD's Regent...I just stored it in a garage cabinet since it didn't "lock". It would have been easier to leave it backwards, though, since we spur-of-the-moment stopped at a dealership on the way home from a 1,000 mile roadtrip and traded the 5 in for a minivan. I had to ship the headrest to them when we got home.:p

amyd

True.
I had to remove my headrest in the 2nd row when installing my DD's Regent...I just stored it in a garage cabinet since it didn't "lock". It would have been easier to leave it backwards, though, since we spur-of-the-moment stopped at a dealership on the way home from a 1,000 mile roadtrip and traded the 5 in for a minivan. I had to ship the headrest to them when we got home.:p

Yep, nothing that belongs with the car is allowed out of the car here. I know myself (and my basement clutter) too well;)

Aurezalia

Bumping because this thread is a good idea. :p

Everything fits in the second row. Everything. I'm not going to bother to list. ;)

However, third row of a 2010:
  • Truefit works FF.
  • Evenflo Sureride works FF.
  • Peg70 works FF.
  • Britax TWE works RF and FF (in both rows).

The Radian does NOT work FF in the third row.

tesslouise

2010 Mazda5.

I've had a Chicco Keyfit 30 in the second row, a Chicco Nextfit RFing, and a Britax Pinnacle.

I've had an Evenflo Triumph Advance RFing and FFing in the second row. RFing, the install was fine, but the knob to adjust the harness tightness was jammed into the seatback and almost impossible to use.

I haven't used the third row for seats yet but I'm subscribing to this thread for future reference.

Last edited:

tesslouise

Come June I'll need to fit three kids in my Mazda5. I have a Britax Pinnacle for the 5-year-old, a Chicco NextFit RFing for the 2-year-old, and I'll get my KeyFit back from my SIL for baby #3. Who goes where?

Ideally the NextFit would go in the second row, on the driver's side, for the preschool carpool line (starting in September after DD2 turns 3), but it's not required. (And she'd rather sit in the Pinnacle like a "big girl" anyway. :p)

Aurezalia

Come June I'll need to fit three kids in my Mazda5. I have a Britax Pinnacle for the 5-year-old, a Chicco NextFit RFing for the 2-year-old, and I'll get my KeyFit back from my SIL for baby #3. Who goes where? Ideally the NextFit would go in the second row, on the driver's side, for the preschool carpool line (starting in September after DD2 turns 3), but it's not required. (And she'd rather sit in the Pinnacle like a "big girl" anyway. :p)

I have 2 RFers in my 2nd row and my FFer in the 3rd, and it works very well.
I'd do Nextfit 2nd row driver, newborn second row passenger, and 5yo third row passenger. Have 5yo climb in the passenger side while you buckle in 2yo, then go around to the other side and lean over the baby's seat to help buckle (if necessary), then click on the keyfit last.
You can also help 3rd row rider buckle from the trunk if needed. It's really easy to reach in. :p

nataliem257

Come June I'll need to fit three kids in my Mazda5. I have a Britax Pinnacle for the 5-year-old, a Chicco NextFit RFing for the 2-year-old, and I'll get my KeyFit back from my SIL for baby #3. Who goes where?

Ideally the NextFit would go in the second row, on the driver's side, for the preschool carpool line (starting in September after DD2 turns 3), but it's not required. (And she'd rather sit in the Pinnacle like a "big girl" anyway. :p)

All 3 of those seats should fit in all 4 positions. I've done a frontier and RF boulevard 2nd row and Keyfit 3rd row and I found that quite easy...for me it was easier to scoot the seat up and snap the bucket in than try to help buckle in the 3rd row.

tesslouise

I have 2 RFers in my 2nd row and my FFer in the 3rd, and it works very well.
I'd do Nextfit 2nd row driver, newborn second row passenger, and 5yo third row passenger. Have 5yo climb in the passenger side while you buckle in 2yo, then go around to the other side and lean over the baby's seat to help buckle (if necessary), then click on the keyfit last.
You can also help 3rd row rider buckle from the trunk if needed. It's really easy to reach in. :p

Any problems with leg room in the third row? I know the Pinnacle will fit but will the 5-year-old's legs fit? I've sat back there as an adult and tucked my feet under the seat in front of me but that's not a choice for a kid with dangling legs.

tesslouise

All 3 of those seats should fit in all 4 positions. I've done a frontier and RF boulevard 2nd row and Keyfit 3rd row and I found that quite easy...for me it was easier to scoot the seat up and snap the bucket in than try to help buckle in the 3rd row.

So you moved the captain's chair with the RFing seat in it to reach the baby's seat into the third row? I'm trying to picture this. I'm wondering if leaving the big girls in the second row and loading just the baby from the hatch makes sense.

nataliem257

So you moved the captain's chair with the RFing seat in it to reach the baby's seat into the third row? I'm trying to picture this. I'm wondering if leaving the big girls in the second row and loading just the baby from the hatch makes sense.

I moved the frontier forward, but this only works with latch. My DD still hasn't hit 40 lbs. You could also drop half the back and pop the carrier in that way.

Aurezalia

Any problems with leg room in the third row? I know the Pinnacle will fit but will the 5-year-old's legs fit? I've sat back there as an adult and tucked my feet under the seat in front of me but that's not a choice for a kid with dangling legs.

Kind of, but not really? I moved the baby's seat forward extra to give my FFer extra legroom and chose a seat where his knees would bend at the edge instead of needing to stick out, but beyond that I haven't had to give it a second thought.
Having half the third row down makes it really easy to help whoever is back there load/buckle, though.

KateJMEvans

Hello all - new member here. Hoping to revive this thread WRT the latest generation of Mazda5 (2012-2015).

We're looking to buy a 2014 or 2015 and are wondering whether our 2 Radian RXTs will fit FF (and as boosters) in the 3rd row.

I saw that a few folks said Radian RXTs didn't work FF in the third row for the prior Mazda5 generation (why??), has that changed for the new gen?

Thanks!!

lgenne

I have a 2014 and a Radian. I've had it RF in both the 2nd and 3rd rows (I think just with latch 2nd row; if I tried a seat belt I don't remember). Always with the angle adjuster. I've had the Radian FF in the 2nd row (seat belt install only--kiddo over the latch weight limit). All of these installs worked great. I haven't tried FF 3rd row, though.

KateJMEvans

Bumping because this thread is a good idea. :p

Everything fits in the second row. Everything. I'm not going to bother to list. ;)

However, third row of a 2010:
  • Truefit works FF.
  • Evenflo Sureride works FF.
  • Peg70 works FF.
  • Britax TWE works RF and FF (in both rows).

The Radian does NOT work FF in the third row.
Can you please elaborate on *why* the Radian doesn't work FF in the third row?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC