Seats that fit in the Mazda5

amyd

I notice that upthread Defrost mentioned that according to her Mazda 5 manual (2007 model), the third row headrests must be down before installation and tether routed over the headrest. At some point, that changed. My 2010 manual states that the tether must be routed under the headrest in the third row, not over (same as the second row).

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
My 2010 manual states that the tether must be routed under the headrest in the third row, not over (same as the second row).

Cool, good for them! They must have really changed the headrests. Can you post some pics for us? :D

teekadog

Wow, if your head restraints are different that would make it a pretty different install IMO. And I would love to see pics too.

It would be in tighter than tight- broken nails, aching muscles, bruises- but if you tugged on the front of it, say to tighten the harness, it would slide forward. I was able to get it tight enough not to slide forward more than an inch, but it still unsettled me so much that I returned the seat. It was the SAME problem I had installing the Radian. I tried installing with and without the head restraint, made no difference. I also tried twisting the buckle stalk (first a little, later A LOT) and still not enough improvement. I think if I could have twisted the buckle to halfway underneath the seat it might have worked...

amyd

Wow, if your head restraints are different that would make it a pretty different install IMO. And I would love to see pics too.

It would be in tighter than tight- broken nails, aching muscles, bruises- but if you tugged on the front of it, say to tighten the harness, it would slide forward. I was able to get it tight enough not to slide forward more than an inch, but it still unsettled me so much that I returned the seat. It was the SAME problem I had installing the Radian. I tried installing with and without the head restraint, made no difference. I also tried twisting the buckle stalk (first a little, later A LOT) and still not enough improvement. I think if I could have twisted the buckle to halfway underneath the seat it might have worked...

Okay, I tried it and I'm having the same issue with the front sliding forward. IMO, it's not sliding forward so much that I'd be totally uncomfortable using it (less than an inch and I had to pull it really hard...like 2 hands...to move it). I'd be okay with it, I think.

Debbie, I'll take pics of the headrests tomorrow in the daylight. They're essentially the same as the 2nd row ones, maybe a bit smaller. They're the typical ones that hang over the edge of the seat and poke you uncomfortably in the back if you don't have them raised.

teekadog

Has anyone tried a new britax in the second row? Will it fit without touching the front seats pushed all the way back if fully upright?

I tried an Advocate CS 70 rear facing in the 2nd row. It took up less front-to-back room than my Marathon Classic. Front seats can be pushed all the way back, and reclined a couple clicks before it touches.

This was with the new Britax in recline mode, but without a noodle. I think you would need a noodle to get the proper recline for a newborn.

HTH

legaleagle

Yes, perfect! My husband is 6'3" so the seat has to be all the way back when he's driving. My 8 month old has been rf'ing in a coccoro since birth behind the driver but he's ridiculously tall - wears 24 month onesies and halfway between the 2 and 3rd harness slots on the cco. I was thinking about getting a britax (or other seat) for him when he gets a little bigger. At the rate he's going he's going to outgrow the cco before my 2.5 year old turns 3 and I really want to keep the 2 year old rf'ing longer if possible to keep them both in the 2nd row. My also very tall 2.5 year old is rf'ing behind the passanger in an XTSL but that definitely won't fit behind the driver's seat. We own a blvd 65 and a TF (in other cars) but I couldn't get those in behind the driver without touching the seat, even with somewhat upright installs (and we need those other seats where they are anyway so I would have to buy another seat regardless).

legaleagle

Just wanted to update that I got a marathon 70 and installed at 32-33 degrees in the 2nd row it takes up just about the same front-to-back room as a coccoro installed at the same angle. Really amazing how little room it takes up. And, of course, it took about 30 seconds to install.

legaleagle

Double posting with a question. I installed my cco rf'ing in the 3rd row (very easy with the euro routing and very easy to load my 20lb 9 month old in through the hatch) and even upright to 30-35 degrees, I had to move the 2nd row seat up about 5 inches. I know the manual says to have the 2nd row all the way back, so do you just not install seats in the 2nd row? If you don't, would a booster seat be ok?

FWIW, this was just to see how it would fit, I moved it back to the second row after trying it out. Oh, and my 2009 manual has the 3rd row over-the-headrest instruction

Lizzy

Just wanted to update that I got a marathon 70 and installed at 32-33 degrees in the 2nd row it takes up just about the same front-to-back room as a coccoro installed at the same angle. Really amazing how little room it takes up. And, of course, it took about 30 seconds to install.

really? isn't there more head room in a Marathon 70 though? I realize it's an inch lower than the classic marathon seats (I believe that's what I read on car-seat org).. I was looking at the cco for our newborn, but maybe I'd be better off with a snugride 22 and then move to the marathan 70? (we're getting a Kia Soul.. , not a mazda 5, but in a couple of years, we'll get the mazda 5 as well) if the marathan 70 has more head room than a cco? not sure if it would be worth it by the time baby outgrew the cco? to then go into a seat like the marathan 70? (of course, I know different seats will be out by then) my dd still has more than an inch before her head reaches the top in her BLVD 65 classic (probably 2 inches) and she turns 7 in may (she was rf to 33lbs and 5 years is when I turned her ff in that seat)... so I'm assuming nb will be of similar stats since petite is what runs on both sides of the family ;) the blvd will be retired by the time we would need it with nb.

legaleagle

When they're both at the newborn angle, the marathon takes up quite a bit more front-to-back room, it's just when you sit them upright at 30-35 degrees that they take up similar room. Something to do with the way the base is constructed I guess. Also, the marathon won't fit smallish newborns even with the insert while the cco is awesome and snuggly for newborns. The marathon is quite a bit wider too, though I'm no expert on puzzling seats together.

I don't like infant seats so I went with the cco because it was the only seat I could find on the market at the time (last spring) that would fit behind the driver's seat pushed all the way back. It measures in between a regular convertible and a large infant seat in headroom, I think. I'd definitely classify it as a niche seat - perfect for small cars and tight 3 across but definitely won't last as long as many convertibles. My very tall 2.5 year old had pretty much outgrown it by 20-ish months (he never actually used it and has way outgrown it now) but has several inches left in the marathon.

Lizzy

oh, I see :)... the cco is also ONLY 15" wide ;).. so if you needed two together on the rear seat of the Mazda 5 ;)

Yes, I forgot about the Britax not being nb friendly :confused:

I don't really have a preference over convertible or bucket for a nb.. however, we don't plan to carry the seat around - unless we travel with it by plane, taxi etc. I do LOVE the cco though :love:

legaleagle

Yes, it would be pretty easy to get 2 cco in the back row I think. I have no idea how'd you actually buckle in 2 rearfacing kids without contortions though! I only have 2 kids so they're both in the middle row but a friend of mine with 3 was asking about the back row.

chay

oh, I see :)... the cco is also ONLY 15" wide ;).. so if you needed two together on the rear seat of the Mazda 5 ;)

Even with really wide seats you won't have a problem with the width 3rd row, there's quite a bit of room and only 2 seats. I've yet to have an issue and I've had some pretty wide combos in there. It would only be an issue if you wanted to use the seat in a 3 across in another car.

legaleagle

Double posting with a question. I installed my cco rf'ing in the 3rd row (very easy with the euro routing and very easy to load my 20lb 9 month old in through the hatch) and even upright to 30-35 degrees, I had to move the 2nd row seat up about 5 inches. I know the manual says to have the 2nd row all the way back, so do you just not install seats in the 2nd row? If you don't use a harnessed seat, would a booster seat be ok?

Sorry to quote myself but I just wanted to make sure this didn't get buried...

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
Sorry to quote myself but I just wanted to make sure this didn't get buried...

Well, I suspect no one's replying because we know we have differing opinions on this. It's all in how you translate the Mazda 5 owner's manual. It does state to push the 2nd-row seats all the way back when installing carseats, but it's debatable whether they state that as a recommendation for ease-of-use, or as a firm rule that has to do with a safety issue.

I'm not sure what the newer manuals say on this, but I personally (saying this with my tech-hat OFF) choose to interpret it as a suggestion for ease-of-use. Technically, the manual says to push the seat back, so as techs we can't do much more than just shrug and say "That's what the manual says." As with any decision, it's up to you to decide what to do, yk?

Also, just to make a note about the seats - you can fit two Husky/Regents side-by-side in the 3rd row, so width is definitely not going to be an issue with any carseat/booster combination.

amyd

Well, I suspect no one's replying because we know we have differing opinions on this. It's all in how you translate the Mazda 5 owner's manual. It does state to push the 2nd-row seats all the way back when installing carseats, but it's debatable whether they state that as a recommendation for ease-of-use, or as a firm rule that has to do with a safety issue.

I'm not sure what the newer manuals say on this, but I personally (saying this with my tech-hat OFF) choose to interpret it as a suggestion for ease-of-use. Technically, the manual says to push the seat back, so as techs we can't do much more than just shrug and say "That's what the manual says." As with any decision, it's up to you to decide what to do, yk?

Also, just to make a note about the seats - you can fit two Husky/Regents side-by-side in the 3rd row, so width is definitely not going to be an issue with any carseat/booster combination.

The 2010 manual says the same as your 2007 does. I choose to interprete it the same way you do (also with my tech hat off;))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC