Seats that fit in the Mazda5

essnce629

Someone suggested we start a thread about which seats fit in the 2nd and 3rd rows of the Mazda5. So I'll go first with what I've tried.

2009 Mazda5

Chicco Keyfit30-- 2nd row w/ LATCH, 3rd row w/ seatbelt, no problems
Britax Regent-- 2nd & 3rd row w/ SBP seatbelt, no problems
Britax Frontier-- 2nd & 3rd row w/ SBP seatbelt, no problems
True Fit Premier-- rf'ing 2nd row w/ LATCH, no problems

Last edited:
ADS

Pixels

Radian 2nd row FFing LATCH
Radian 2nd row RFing LATCH
Radian 3rd row FFing seatbelt - difficult but not impossible. Bottom of the seat can pull forward some but the belt path does not move at all.

chay

2008 Mazda 5

2nd row
- RN XTSL - RF & FF with LATCH
- AOE - RF & FF with LATCH
- MA - RF & FF with LATCH
- MA - FF with seatbelt
- SS1 - with LATCH

3rd row (all seatbelt)
- AOE - RF & FF
- MA - RF & FF (FF - push the seat back so the headrest is squished into the space in the back of the car seat)
- SS1
- RN XTSL RF (I didn't get it to work FF)

Here are pictures in the Mazda 5 thread with a Nautilus in 2nd and 3rd -
http://www.car-seat.org/showpost.php?p=351464&postcount=86

There are also a lot more seats listed in -
http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=18200

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
This is what I can specifically remember right off hand; I'm only going to list 3rd row installs because I don't think anything would be incompatible or even all that difficult in the 2nd row. :) Anything I've installed in the 3rd has also been in the 2nd row and I've never had any issues with 2nd-row installs.

2007, 3rd Row (remember head rest must be DOWN for all installs, per vehicle manual):

Marathon, FF (you have to set it very upright; the back half of the base won't touch the vehicle seat bottom until after you put your knee in it and tighten the seat belt)

Marathon, RF (only location for RF tether is the tether anchor for the 2nd row seat)

Radian, RF - no issues

Britax Frontier - long belt path only; required a bit of finagling to convince the seat belt it was indeed long enough - recommend having a helper for this install

Graco Nautilus - leave a short gap between the bight and the bottom of the back of the GN

BabyTrend Flex-Loc

Britax Husky - long belt path, with the recline bar (it's optional on the Husky, but required on the newer-version Regent)

Jenng22

Yippee, Thank you for starting the thread! I wanted to start it, but I don't own a Mazda 5 yet! LOL

Thank you so much, I will enjoy reading all the responses!

:)

legaleagle

Are there any special tricks to installing an radian upright in a mazda5? We just got a XTSL to replace the blvd my 18 month old is currently riding in. It's be second row, passenger side and the car is a 2009 with the leather seats.

chay

Just the usual Radian trick - stand behind the seat and push the back of the seat with your hips while tightening. I think there might even be some youtube video somewhere demoing the move. My 2008 is leather and I was able to get a great install.

jesster

I've just been playing around with our Mazda5, getting ready for new baby!

Here's what's worked in our 2006
2nd row:
Graco Snugride
Britax Roundabout RF and FF
Britax Marathon RF and FF
Britax Regent
Graco Turbo Booster
Sunshine Kids Monterey
Combi Coccoro

3rd row:
2 Marathons FF
Marathon + Regent FF
Monterey + Regent FF

Here are a couple pics of our 3rd row:
DSCN3465.jpg

DSCN3436.jpg

And just because it's sooo cute, the CCO in the 2nd row:
DSCN3464.jpg

ETA: ewww, please excuse our dirty, crumby car floor!

legaleagle

jesster - do you have any particular tips for installing the CCO? I started a thread since we're having a devil of a time getting the seat at 1) 45 degrees (as measuring by a level line on the side, using an actual level to check) and 2) not too tippy when bumped. I'm beginning to think the issue is more the leather seats than anything else. I do have a tech appt set up for the week after next.

We did get our radian in at 35 degrees with no problems though and it is totally rock solid!

jesster

jesster - do you have any particular tips for installing the CCO? I started a thread since we're having a devil of a time getting the seat at 1) 45 degrees (as measuring by a level line on the side, using an actual level to check) and 2) not too tippy when bumped. I'm beginning to think the issue is more the leather seats than anything else. I do have a tech appt set up for the week after next.

We did get our radian in at 35 degrees with no problems though and it is totally rock solid!

You may have already tried these things but the tech who install our CCO (I am too pregnant to do it properly myself!) pushed the CCO into the seat with one hand while pulling the LATCH belt tight in the direction of the belt. Does that make sense? When he pulled the belt in a more outwardly-type direction he couldn't get it tight enough. The car seat had to be all the way up to achieve the solid install, too. HTHs!

legaleagle

Thanks - I'm pretty darn pregnant myself - 6 weeks to go! - and DH is really tired of wrestling with it, so I'll just wait for the tech appt. I was just surprised we were having so much trouble since the blvd, radian, and TF all installed so easily!

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
You may have already tried these things but the tech who install our CCO (I am too pregnant to do it properly myself!) pushed the CCO into the seat with one hand while pulling the LATCH belt tight in the direction of the belt. Does that make sense? When he pulled the belt in a more outwardly-type direction he couldn't get it tight enough. The car seat had to be all the way up to achieve the solid install, too. HTHs!

It looks to me like her vehicle seat is also completely upright, and I bet that makes a difference in tippy-ness, too. You might even want to try installing the CCO with the vehicle seat reclined a bit, then hold the CCO in place while pushing the vehicle seat into the fully upright position.

(BTW, I am in :love: with that pic - it looks like there's a CCO in MY car! :D And I don't want the baby to go in it, just the CCO LOL!)

legaleagle

Yeah, we experimented with the seats upright/reclined, with and without noodles, which is why I'm now thinking a good part of the issue is the leather seats. I was happy to be able to show the pic to DH to prove that it really can be installed in this car safely! I will update after the tech appointment next week.

teekadog

Bumping this because it's good info in one place and I need to know if anyone has gotten a good install with a ffing TFP in the 3rd row. I'm not managing...

jessi f

I havnt got to play with carseats in one but I'm currently on a mission to convince DH that we really need to buy one :eek::D So I might be stalking this thread a bit.... The seats I have to work with are 2 TFs, 1 CA, and 1 XTSL.

teekadog

Yes, rfing in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and ffing in the 2nd row were all fine with the TFP I tried. But I didn't feel I could get an acceptable ffing install in the 3rd row so I returned it :( I hope someone else figures out how to do it and posts here with tips.

amyd

XmasEve said:
Yes, rfing in the 2nd and 3rd rows, and ffing in the 2nd row were all fine with the TFP I tried. But I didn't feel I could get an acceptable ffing install in the 3rd row so I returned it :( I hope someone else figures out how to do it and posts here with tips.

What specifically didn't you feel worked with it in the third row? Just so I know for when I try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC