flying w/ 4yo and 18mo

lizajane30

We're planning to fly cross-country (CA to PA) next month. Our kids will be 4y4m (riding in a BLVD) and 18m (riding in an RA) at that time. We will need both CRs at our destination. My question is, if we don't want to install the 4yo's seat on the plane(s) how should we handle the seats? In the past I've gone on board ahead to install seats and DH boards at the last minute with both kids.

My thought is that we should have the 18mo ride in the BLVD and bring the RA on board with us but not install it. Is this even possible? I'm thinking it is, because last time we travelled (with both kids in CRs on the plane) the airline tried to get us to stow the CRs instead of using them on the plane.

If possible, I want to avoid installing TWO seats on every leg of the trip because honestly it was a PITA last year (worth it, I guess, for the peace of mind). They wouldn't let us pre-board, and the FAs were absolutely no help in carrying the seats down the aisle or installing. (When I asked for help one even dropped the seat and said--and I quote--"Oh my god, that's heavy!" DUH. That's why I asked for help!)

I also don't want to pay extra money to check the extra seat, not knowing if it will get lost or damaged.

So, WWYD?

Thanks.

ADS

Eclipsepearl

First of all, keep in mind that F/A's are not there to haul or stow luggage. It's not their job! Passengers are supposed to be responsible for their own carry-on's. We could actually get in trouble with the airlines if we were injured carrying passengers' things and were told that it was not part of our duties. Injured F/A's cost the company money.

Sure, I helped parents carry stuff but usually I took the smaller bags while they took the seat. The F/A probably made the comment that the seat was heavy as a hint. I would have been more direct and told the passenger to carry it themselves (offering of course, to carry the other lighter bags or even the baby).

Also, you should be the one to install the seat. I would not let a stranger do it in any circumstances unless it was a car seat tech, the seat's owner, etc. Many F/A's don't have kids and wouldn't have a clue how to install a car seat. I used to hold the child while the parent did it.

Also, I don't understand the logic of bringing a car seat on board and not using it. For the safety and comfort of your child, it makes more sense to put your child in it. There are limits to the size that carry-on's so you don't have any recourse if they insist on taking it. Good luck trying to stow it somewhere. With the new baggage fees, people are bringing all their worldly possessions on board and there is no room to stow a dead hamster, let alone a RA!

You'll probably be stopped and asked to gate-check it. Don't ask about putting it in a closet (if there are any, they'll be stuffed and/or in business and First).

By contrast, if the child has a seat and the seat is FAA approved, it's your right to use it on board so take advantage of a privilege that we don't have in other countries.

lizajane30

Thank you for your response. I didn't intend to offend, and I stand corrected about the duties of FAs. I mistakenly thought they could help passengers get onto the plane with their things. It sounds like the FA in question should just have said, "I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to do that," instead of initially taking my CR, then dropping it on the floor.

I had asked for help because I couldn't carry two CRs to our seats at once and it's damn near impossible to get back to the front to get the second seat when other passengers are boarding. (DH had the kids and all the other carry-ons, waiting until everyone else had boarded.) I was not allowed to pre-board, and I knew I had limited time to install both seats. When I wrote about getting help installing, I didn't mean that I expected them to install for me. I meant that they were reluctant to get me a seatbelt extender and expressed doubt that I would be able to install the CRs using one. The FAs *did* try to get me to stow them, but I have no idea where they would've put them. I didn't ask, since I intended to use them on the plane. There was also an issue with which spot in the row they would allow me to install in.

One reason I'd like to seat my son without his CR is because he will have less legroom and will therefore have more opportunity to kick the seat in front of him. It was a problem last year, and he's even taller this year. I'm also remembering how stressed out I was trying to get both seats installed before the plane filled up completely and our row-mates were waiting to get into their seats. I think at this point DS would do okay in the regular seat, but it sounds like we'll just have to suck it up and use both seats unless we're willing to check one.

TnT's Mom

What we have done when we travel is book seats so that 2 of us sit in front of the other 2. My oldest sits with DH in front of my younger son and me. That way younger son was only bumping his brother's seat back. I don't know much about the Roundabout but we did have a Boulevard that we used on the airplane in the past. Is your younger child rear facing in his/her seat or could he/she fit rear facing in it? You could install the seat RF and sit with him/her and then put your older son in his Boulevard behind your younger child and DH behind you. Or if he is FF, his/her legs might not reach the seat in front with any great force if he/she kicks them.

As far as carrying the seats on...could DH carry one and you carry the other...older child walk and younger child in some type of carrier on your back? We also strapped our car seat to a regular luggage cart in order to haul it through the airport. Others here have strapped 2 seats together on one luggage cart as well.

If you have the airplane seats I would use both seats and not risk having your Boulevard gate checked were it could end up damaged.

Oh, I can't remember if the Boulevard and Roundabouts have the same issue as the Marathon when installing on a plane but with our Marathon we had to flip the buckle of the airplane seat belt, so it was facing the back of the plane seat, so that we would be able to get it unlatched at our destination. I didn't do this once and I lost a lot of the skin on the top of my hand trying to get that seat undone! I just can't remember what I did with the Boulevard because it was a long time ago, now.

Good luck! It is a lot of lugging and juggling when traveling with car seats. And if someone gives you a hard time because one of your children is in their car seat behind their seat and they can't recline their seat you can just remind them that there is no guarantee that you will get a seat that reclines on a plane. Then just do the best you can about feet bumping the seat of the person. I once had a lady get all bent out of shape with me because my son banged the back of her seat...when he was climbing into his seat! I politely told her that we hadn't even gotten settled yet and the plane was still loading...to please give us a chance before yelling at us!

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
If you really don't want to carry and install both seat, you could buy a saferidervest for the 4y depending on weight. Its for use in the car, but not on the plane. They are a wearable 5-point.

Evolily

if your 4 y/o is over 30 lbs and you can afford it I would definitely buy a ride safer travel vest for him. It will let you avoid installing the seat and it will lessen the amount you carry. Plus, if you fly once or twice a year it should save you many headaches before both kids outgrow it :thumbsup: .

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC