Kindergarten Bus Trip - What do I do?!

Smeggles

Hi,

My 4 year old's Kindergarten class is going to the aquarium and will be travelling via the motorway on a bus for about 20 minutes.

I am thinking of driving her there and back rather than allowing her to go restraint free on the bus but everyone (including her teachers) thinks I will be denying her the experience of travelling on a bus with her friends.

What do I do?

ADS

Smeggles

PS: Buses in New Zealand have absolutely no restraints and my daughter is only 16 kg at 4.5 years. I considered installing my carseat in the bus but as there is no seat belt it won't work - plus I am not sure if the foot in the Multi tech will extend as far down as would be required in a bus.

DahliaRW

In the US school buses for K+ don't have seatbelts. I have no issue with my ds1 riding the bus to school next year, even though it will include 10 minutes on a 55mph 2 lane freeway. I will talk to him about how to sit properly.

Evolily

In the US bus travel has been shown to be extremely safe- I am as comfortable taking a city bus with A & C as I am taking a car. Here, school buses are even safer because they rely on "compartmentalization"- how the seats are engineered provides a sort of passive restraint. For little kids, they often use harnesses, but for older kids they usually do not.

Minnesota

CPST Instructor
I agree that school bus travel is extraordinarily safe, and think that you should allow her to ride the bus. I know it's scary after all the effort of keeping her safe in the car to think of her on a big ol' bus without any restraint, but keep in mind that school buses are designed to keep their passengers safe just exactly how they are built. :thumbsup:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
She's eight times safer on the bus than she is in your car, even unrestrained. I'd have no problem with my daughter riding on a bus with kids her own age.

My biggest concern would be a little kid riding with the big kids. But if there are no big kids, then no worry.

Wendy

Eclipsepearl

I'm glad you posted this because I was worried about this too.

I posted it on another car seat forum and a tech explained about this compartmentalization theory and seat belts actually make it less safe.

I took my dd by car because I had my car and I was accompanying them anyway. Now I realise that she would have probably been safer on that silly bus!

babygirlsmom1005

I'm glad you posted this because I was worried about this too.

I posted it on another car seat forum and a tech explained about this compartmentalization theory and seat belts actually make it less safe.

I took my dd by car because I had my car and I was accompanying them anyway. Now I realise that she would have probably been safer on that silly bus!

All the busses here are now required to have seat belts? Does that not make them safe?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
A lap belt on a school bus is safer in a rollover accident (holds the child in place). In all other instances it increases the risk of spine and neck injuries. Since bus rollovers are remarkably rare, they generally don't come into play.

A lap and shoulder belt, OTOH, well fitted, is remarkably safe. It's about as good as it gets on four wheels.

I've told Piper that if she rides a bus for some reason to check. If it's a lap belt leave it off. If it's a shoulder and lap belt use it.

Ok, here's a crash test. It's by Safeguard. They make bus restraints. You can see the lap and shoulder belt in use. You can also see the unrestrained passengers behind them. It's important to note that the spines of the unrestrained kids stay straight and in alignment throughout. I haven't seen a lap belt only on a bus, but I have another video that's very similar, though imagine the front seat even closer. The head and neck snap back with a lap belt only.

Bus
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvpDwoC7naY&feature=related"]YouTube- SafeGuard school bus barrier crash test (interior view)[/ame]

Lap belt:
http://depts.washington.edu/booster/images/video/DRIV754_6yr_lap.mpg

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC