Question NEWBIE...Car Choices

1stTimeDad

SO!

After 2 months of research we've decided on 1 of 3 scenarios for our "new" car:

1) we swindle an unbelievable deal and get a 2010 Honda Pilot LX for tax,tag, and title $25k. And pay it off in 5 years (yeah, but we are going to get quotes from like 5 or 6 dealers in our area this weekend...it's worth a try)

2) I found a few 2007 Pilot LX in my area for under $18k with about 40k miles on them that we would be able to pay off in 3 years with my trade in.

3) I also found a couple of nicely equipped 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe in my area for under $18k with 30k miles or less.

From what I hear whomever has a Pilot is IN LOVE with them. Especially after seeing all those pics with like 35 car seats in them at the same time they look like one of the ultimate family cars (besides the minivans of course). Talk to me...is it worth even looking at the Santa Fe? They look nice, have good reliability ratings, good safety ratings, and are a good size overall. Or should I just stick with the Pilots? Thanks all!

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Especially after seeing all those pics with like 35 car seats in them at the same time they look like one of the ultimate family cars (besides the minivans of course).

I had to reply, this quote made me laugh really hard. I'm one with "35 car seats" in my Pilot -- it's actually six (or seven in some pics, if I had one sitting on the passenger seat.)

In the interest of full disclosure, you need to know that if you're planning on having a large family, I would strongly consider a minivan. We make the Pilot work, because it was the best (maybe only safe) option available to me in a crunch. And I've grown to love it, even if I do look like a nut throwing a bunch of kids in the hatch. But, unless you're going to load your 3rd row kids through the back, it is a PAIN to get kids back there. (Dogs OTOH... might work better. Just don't forget the petbuckles!) If you're planning on not more than three or maybe four, the Pilot would probably work well for you, if you're really sold on getting a giant car (I dream of getting something small, but it will probably never happen!)

I got an '06 for just over 12k, but it's only 2WD. It did have about 86k on it, but those puppies are spec'd for a couple hundred thousand, and my mechanic declared it "barely even broken in," so the extra miles doesn't bother me. That would put it closer to your price range. Just FWIW.

All of that, and I'm no help with the Santa Fe. I just had to reply because your post made me *actually* laugh out loud. :)

1stTimeDad

Indeed it was you with the pics....you are my inspiration! I don't know how many kids we are planning to have, but I figure the Pilot would offer us some good flexibility for a number of years. Thanks for the info about the '06 with a lot of miles on it. That sounds like a great deal. I guess I am leaning towards a Pilot for the sheer flexibility in the space/number of seats. I just wanted to hear options just in case we can't get the new pilot. Thanks again Carrie.

TXDani

Senior Community Member
Whats the tax rate on cars in Florida? Are you trading anything in and if so do you only pay taxes on the difference?

Invoice on a 2010 Pilot LX FWD is $25,282 and there are currently no advertised rebates. If Honda comes out with at least a $1500 rebate I am sure you would no problem but depending on how much your sales taxes are that is going to be a hard deal to swing. Maybe you can find a demo or something ever so slightly used in a 2010 model.

I have always been able to secure cars at $300-$500 over invoice (just purchase price tax, title and licence fees are always on top of this price) but that takes work in itself so I can't see you getting a car at lower than invoice with TTL unless there are some rebates in effect.

Let us know how you do on your deal!

1stTimeDad

The taxes here are 6%. Don't know if I would pay takes on the agreed price or the difference after the trade-in. I'm pretty sure it's the latter. We know its a stretch, but with 5 or 6 Honda dealers within a 40 mile radius here we figured we'd give it a try. One very big dealer is advertising a 0% interest rate for 60 mos. That would help a lot. If this doesn't work I am highly leaning towards a 2006-2007 Pilot. They seem very reliable so 45k-60k miles doesn't sound too bad. Especially because I'll be mainly driving it and I drive less than 10k miles/year.

Whats the tax rate on cars in Florida? Are you trading anything in and if so do you only pay taxes on the difference?

Invoice on a 2010 Pilot LX FWD is $25,282 and there are currently no advertised rebates. If Honda comes out with at least a $1500 rebate I am sure you would no problem but depending on how much your sales taxes are that is going to be a hard deal to swing. Maybe you can find a demo or something ever so slightly used in a 2010 model.

I have always been able to secure cars at $300-$500 over invoice (just purchase price tax, title and licence fees are always on top of this price) but that takes work in itself so I can't see you getting a car at lower than invoice with TTL unless there are some rebates in effect.

Let us know how you do on your deal!

THere's a $1500 manufacturer to dealer rebate right now. Which means a dealer could sell for $1500 below invoice and still make money (through the holdback).

npauli

My advice: wait

Why? Because you'll learn an awful lot about how you use your car differently with kids in just the first few months. You may change your mind about what to look for and what's important to you. Here's a head start:

1) Imagine loading and unloading one-handed.
2) Get a feel for sizes and shapes of typical objects you'll be carrying: carseats, strollers, diaper bags, booster seats, (dogs)...
3) Think about where to put kids for safety and ease of loading & unloading
4) Where can you change a diaper in the car if it's pouring outside?
5) Can you reach the baby to reinstall a pacifier, etc. from the driver's seat?
6) How will you shield baby from the sun? Shades needed? They don't fit weird shaped windows well.
7) When kids are older, what could they reach that you don't want them messing with?
8) When kids are older, will they be able to climb in by themselves, or will they need a boost?

You and others might notice different things, but the point is that you'll know a lot more about what you want after you've hauled kids for a while.

1stTimeDad

Wow....that was a heck of a post. You did make me think though. I'll probably still get a car before the baby is born, but if all those things can (and I'm sure will) happen I wouldn't want to "experiment" in my little car. Thanks for the advice. I guess many parents have adapted to whatever car they have. My sister spent most of her time in a 1980 something corolla wagon and survived with all 3 of her kids. She's one of those "amazing" moms though. That "rain + changing a baby" image made me cringe and laugh at the same time. Never considered the pacifier realism either. Another sister of mine commented about the changing thing and LOVES her Odyssey for that. Ayeeeee. :eek:

TXDani

Senior Community Member
My advice: wait

Why? Because you'll learn an awful lot about how you use your car differently with kids in just the first few months. You may change your mind about what to look for and what's important to you. Here's a head start:

1) Imagine loading and unloading one-handed.
2) Get a feel for sizes and shapes of typical objects you'll be carrying: carseats, strollers, diaper bags, booster seats, (dogs)...
3) Think about where to put kids for safety and ease of loading & unloading
4) Where can you change a diaper in the car if it's pouring outside?
5) Can you reach the baby to reinstall a pacifier, etc. from the driver's seat?
6) How will you shield baby from the sun? Shades needed? They don't fit weird shaped windows well.
7) When kids are older, what could they reach that you don't want them messing with?
8) When kids are older, will they be able to climb in by themselves, or will they need a boost?

You and others might notice different things, but the point is that you'll know a lot more about what you want after you've hauled kids for a while.

Eh a car isn't something you have to keep for a lifetime. And it isn't like he wants a 2-door couple and we are all saying "NOOO those suck for kids" he is getting a car that a good percentage of parents drive and love.

Like Codex said...if there is a $1500 rebate to dealers right now you might be able to get your deal secured...especially if your trade-in negates some of the sales tax charged.

Are you familiar with getting the best deal via e-mail? There is an art to it but with some patience you can get a very very good deal on new cars if you play the "game" right.

Citrine

I had an 06 Pilot and cried the day we traded it in last June 2009. We got a 09 Odyssey. We needed the room with 2 kids and traveling 17hr one way every 6mo. The Odyssey makes the trip so much more enjoyable. It has great pick up and super on gas. I just went 315mi on a tank of gas which =out to be 22 miles per gallon. I average 350 miles on a tank of gas but needed it sooner, could have gone another 40 miles. With the Pilot I went 250mi during the summer months with AC on low speed, I live in SC. In the winter I got 300mi. I cant remember what miles to gallon was though. I live off of a road where the speed limit is 60MPH for 15 miles then its city driving for 3mi. When we took our first road trip to Georgia in the Odyssey in November 09, I no longer missed my Pilot. The seats I had in my Pilot were, Graco Safeseat1 driver and passenger side latch and sometimes seatbelt install. Britax regent seatbelt and tether install in all seating positions. Graco Nautilus all seating positions using seatbelt or latch with tether install and Britax Wizaed RF driver and passenger side using latch and tether install.

1stTimeDad

Thanks for all the advice. We made it through the weekend without compromising what we want...which means we didn't buy a car just yet although we got REAL close. One last question...leather or cloth. Leather is obviously more expensive terrible feeling her in the Miami heat, but I hear cleans easier/is better for kids....true or false. Anyone have any feelings towards this. There are a number of 2007 Pilots being returned as many leases are coming to an end. Therefore it looks real promising for us to get a good deal. Thanks everyone!

Oh yeah...the new ones were just WAY out of our price range.

ProudMommysince09

Id get leather for the reason you pointed out, great for cleaning up messes. I dont wanna know how many times I had to give my daughter a bottle on the road to keep her happy, just for her to drink half of it and throw the rest on the seat drooling all over:p. I dont wanna imagine what a nightmare clean-up that would be on cloth..;)

1stTimeDad

DONE!

Picked up a 2008 Honda Pilot EX last night.

Now the fun begins....

I already wrote down some of the car seats someone else had used in a pilot, but if you are a Pilot driver please send me your suggestions/what you use. Thanks in advance.

PS. Carrie you might need to PM me because I'm not sure if there's enough room to write all the names down of all the car seats you fit into this thing. ;)

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Chicco Key Fit works great in the middle of the back seat with the seatbelt or outboard with LATCH. Probably the Graco Snugride 35 would work, too. You can start a new thread in the carseat section for heaps more advice.

Congrats on the new ride!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC