Sign on 4th street

Splash

Fourth street is the main road in Saint Petersburg, super busy.

Yesterday there was a electronic marquee up that said "Buckle up. Your kids need you" or something to that effect, and then listed the CPS number in St. Pete (892-KIDS).

Today it was changed to "Kids under 40 pounds need car seats. Boosters are for big kids. Call 892-KIDS"

Yippee!! I love it!

I happen to have a whole host of 892-KIDS business cards that I leave everywhere. I'm glad to see them getting the attention they deserve!

The area code is 727, if anyone wants to call :)

ADS

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
FANTASTIC!!! :D Last time I was in St. Pete (10 years ago :rolleyes:) I never ever saw a kid in a carseat (judging by the highschool kids' younger siblings) -- only the smallest infants & even then they were usually FF way too soon :( FL isn't exactly known for CPSafety ... this is a great improvement! :)

Splash

Yeah, hardly anyone uses car seats around here. Which shocks me, really, because St. Pete is a very high income city... these are rich people driving around in the $40,000 vehicles with unrestrained kids, not people who can't afford seats.

Pinellas County DOES have over 100 CPSTs though. It's the smallest county in Florida (size wise), but also the most populated. We have tons of people stacked on top of each other, and they all drive Hummers. I was expecting NYC to be a nightmare, but I found it LESS crowded than St. Pete, and FAR more easy to navigate. Even rush hour in downtown Manhattan in a taxi was nothing compared to rush hour around here, where it takes me 30-40 minutes to drive the 6-7 miles home.

Victorious4

Senior Community Member
LOL -- yup ... I got my lisence 6 months before I moved to St. Pete, but I refused to drive there :p LA & NYC are easier :rolleyes: (DC still sucks, though!)

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
I was expecting NYC to be a nightmare, but I found it LESS crowded than St. Pete, and FAR more easy to navigate. Even rush hour in downtown Manhattan in a taxi was nothing compared to rush hour around here, where it takes me 30-40 minutes to drive the 6-7 miles home.

Northern VA is like that too. The traffic is terrible here.

One of the schools where I used to work was 6-7 miles away. If I tried to take any highways, it took me about 45 minutes to get there. Taking backroads cut down the commute time to about 30-40 minutes. That wasn't during the peak of rush hour, though. :eek:

I am taking a graduate school class right now that requires me to drive about 9 miles. I leave my job at 3:00 to get to class and I usually arrive at class at about 4:00 or so. That is technically driving against traffic, but there is always traffic, no matter which way you go. :rolleyes: It is crazy.

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
(DC still sucks, though!)

LOL! You are right!!! DC is impossible. It was designed to be difficult (it is not a standard grid like NYC is), but it has been made FAR more difficult by all the random street closures and strange things they have done to the roads. :rolleyes: The DC metro area (MD and VA suburbs) is also REALLY bad, but I think the city itself is impossible.

super_grape

When we were living in Florida there was a set of road signs...can't remember
where, possibly somewhere down the east coast or on your way to the East coast from Haines City:) ...that said something like "To protect from spills you use a lid, so why not get a seat and protect the whole kid" and then it had some info on CPS.
I thought that was pretty impressive...but signs like that should be EVERYWHERE!

southpawboston

i find driving in NYC far easier than around boston, where the streets just can't handle the volume of cars and the signage is very poor.

Splash

The sign is still there! Today it says "Your kids are worth a professional. Get your car seats checked. Call 892-KIDS"

I love this!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC