trying to decide between coccoro and keyfit

I know ones an infant seat and ones a convertible but my dilemna is which one will fit better in my 4 door 2004 cavalier. I already have a radian for my two year who will be three in a June (I would love to have her rf, but it takes up too much depth with the driver and passenger seat.) I also have a six year old in a graco hbb. My third is due is April. I would love the convenience of the infant seat, especially trying to get three in the backseat, but I'm concerned about how long it will last. My odd is really tall and 2 dd is average height so I have no idea what this third will bring. I would hate to get the keyfit and find it wouldn't take us to year an than have to get something else, but I'm really concerned about what may fit into the car now so that way it buys us a bit more time before we had to absolutley get a new car. It seems that the coccoro could be difficult to install to as well. Seeing as I am almost 8 months pregnant I would like something that would be easy to install. Anybody's thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!:)

ADS

NVMBR02

How much do you think you would use the infant carrier? I used mine for awhile but quickly switched to the Coccoro when I got it in December. I wore all of my kids as babies but I do so even more with dd2 because I need the extra hand. Even though ds is 4 he tends to run off if he is not holding a hand. I really love the Coccoro and I have not had any issues with installing it in my car. I haven't gotten a chance to try it in other cars yet because it has been a bit cold and I have been busy.

I currently have 3 across in my Ford Fusion. C occoro behind the passenger, Radian XT in the middle and Parkway SG behind the driver. It is a tight fit but it does work and there is enough room to buckle the Parkway, although dd sometimes needs a bit of help. I have a Turbobooster as well and that seems to give a bit more room. I have not measured but I am 90% sure the Turbo is more narrow.

Is there anyway you can try the seats out in your car? I think the Coccoro would give you more front and back room and probably last a bit longer rear facing.

autumnlily

I have both and love them both. But, I'm dealing with short kids.

As far as depth - I find the Coccoro to take up less front to back room. But the Keyfit is SO nice!

Thanks so much for the responses! Of course now it just makes it even harder to decide to hear positive things about both. I do usually babywear, I just wasn't sure if that would pose a few extra streps getting in and out of the car with a newborn, which is why I thought the infant seat might come in handy for at least the first couple of months while we all adapt. After that I would most likely leave the bucket in the car unless he were still sleeping or we were at a restaurant or something. But I certainly don't want to have to get another car seat sooner if not needed. It sounds like the coccoro might give us a big more room all around. Unfortunately I can't find any store locally that carries it instock to try to find out how it fits. I was able to try the keyfit and it did seem to fit, I just didn't spend along time trying it out in different positions b/c of the parking lot and the weather. Any other ideas that can be contributed to help me figure this out would be great!

NVMBR02

If there isn't somewhere local to you that carries it I would either buy it online from Walmart or target where you can return in store or purchase from a place like elitecarseats.com that has a return insurance policy.

If you give a general area where you are located it is possible that a memeber here has a Coccoro and is close enough for you to try it out.

I live in the Twin Cities and if you are close to me I would be happy to meet up with you.

NVMBR02

Oh, and I think diapers.com has free returns? They also price match, have a 10 percent off discount for new customers and have free 2 day shipping.

I have ordered a few times through them but I have never needed to return anything.

I live in MD so that won't work,:( but I appreciate the offer. I know Target has it online as does BRU but I wasn't sure if they would accept opened carseats for return. I actually got my radian from diapers.com and they assured me they would take it back if it didn't fit, I just wasn't sure how much of a hassle it would be. But I figure that is what I'll probably wind up doing....I'm leaning more towards the coccoro I think. What why of carrier do you use for your newborns when carrying to and from the car? I'm leaning towards a wrap but have never used one before and the learning curve seems steep to me.

NVMBR02

I am wrap challenged. :eek: I had a moby with my second child and I didn't like it but I kept it and tried again with #3. It still didn't work well for me. Yet I just ordered a wombfruit wrap because of a thread onhere and I am going to give it another shot.

I have a Beco that I like and I have a baby hawk I like. I also have a hotsling that is nice for quick in and out trips but gets uncomfortable fast. None of my babies really liked being in the cradle position though.

For a little one I would try a mei tei if you don't want to give the wrap another shot.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
I live in MD so that won't work,:( but I appreciate the offer. I know Target has it online as does BRU but I wasn't sure if they would accept opened carseats for return. I actually got my radian from diapers.com and they assured me they would take it back if it didn't fit, I just wasn't sure how much of a hassle it would be. But I figure that is what I'll probably wind up doing....I'm leaning more towards the coccoro I think. What why of carrier do you use for your newborns when carrying to and from the car? I'm leaning towards a wrap but have never used one before and the learning curve seems steep to me.

I use my Beco when we are going somewhere like Walmart, but when it is just in and out I like a wrap.

I normally put my wrap on before I leave. When dh helps me in the car or I don't have my hands full, I'll tote her out and put her in when we get to the destination. On days full of errands, I wear it from the time I leave until I get home.

autumnlily

I'm a baby wearer too - My oldest child was only in her bucket for the vehicle and always promptly taken out and worn in a maya ring sling, moby or beco.

But, once I had more than one child (just happened to be twins the second time around), I truly appreciated having the ability to keep the babies in a bucket. It made transitions between house and vehicle SO much easier.

I know I'd struggle with this decision.

Buy a Keyfit that might be outgrown too quickly to counter cost but have the security and simplicity of a bucket seat when traveling with all three children.
OR
Buy the compact convertible, Coccoro, that will last longer but require you (unless you unload it with baby... which is doable - but I find hard to install with child in the seat) to remove your infant in most travel scenario's. Which is really only inconvenient for the first 5/6 months?

Tough call!

Autumnlily you summed it up nicely for me! And I'm still indecisive. I guess the positive is it will be warm so I won't have to worry about getting in and out of house/car quickly, and by the time it gets to be winter he would probably be too big to lug in and out with the bucket (unless dh is around...but during the day and errands that's not too usual) So I'll probably go with the coccoro and hope it's not too difficult to install and I also hope it might give us an extra inch or so to buckle dd in her booster. You all have been very helpful in this.....as for bwing, I have an MT will probably get another SSC for when he gets a bit older, but I didn't know about a wrap for the newborn stage. I don't care for ringslings or even a hotsling b/c I did find them very uncomfortable...I may however need to look into a wombat wrap(?):)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC