Is it safe to install a convertible seat in a 3rd row that doesn't have LATCH or tether points?

aspiemama

We are about to buy a new car and have it narrowed down to a couple options. We love the Land Rover LR3 and intend on keeping all 3 kids in the second row for the most part.
However, there will be many times when I need to use the 3rd row and the LR3's third row does not have tether anchors. Is it still safe to do a solid seatbelt-only install without using the tether?

Seats we're using are:

FF Radian XT for DS (42 lbs, age 6)
FF MA for DS2 (40 lbs, age 4)
Graco Snugride 32 for baby due in May

Thank you!!

ADS

Maedze

It is always safe to use a seatbelt to install a seat.

You *may* install a forward facing seat without a top tether, but I do not recommend it. That top tether significantly reduces head excursion, which reduces the risk of head and neck injuries.

If you must put a child in the third row, put the infant seat or a rear facing convertible back there :)

Particularly in a car with available top tether anchors, I would never put a forward facing seat in a seating position without one for simple convenience' sake.

My forward facing children are not allowed to ride in a vehicle without a top tether anchor available.

mylittlet

Senior Community Member
We have a truck that only has a lapbelt in the front middle. We have 2 ff kids and 2 kids with no seats. We put one upfront, where there is no tether. Its the only way for us to safely all travel in the truck. We don't do it everyday, but will on weekends over the summer. For the most part both ff ride in my minivan tethered, but I won't not allow them to ride in the truck just because it doesn't have them.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
If I had to put a seat back there, it would be the radian. It does well without a tether, and that is the reason I bought it. At the time, I had 2 vehicles without tethers.

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
One other idea: would you be open to booster training your 6yo? If so, on the occasions you need to use the third row he could go back there in a booster, no tether needed.

Otherwise, I'd put the baby back there in a RF convertible.

If you must put all three back there, I would booster the oldest, RF the middle one in an XTSL, and of course RF the baby, but that's a lot of cash to spend for an occasional need.

My gang doesn't ride without tethers unless there's no other option. If there isn't, I would do it in either a Radian or Nautilus, which both test well without a tether, I believe. The seat is fine installed with seatbelt, though.

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
If I were in a situation where a child REALLY needed to be transported in a vehicle without top tethers available, period, I might do it, until i could get tethers installed or something like that(like in a situation where a family only has an older vehicle without anchors, etc). However..someone contemplated getting a new Rover certainly doesn't have that type of exterme financial obstacle to safety. I would absolutely never, ever, ever do it if I could possibly avoid it. Sorry. It's a ridiculous risk, and "convenience" is simply not a good enough reason to risk my childs life. Put the rearfacer back there, or child in a booster, or an adult/teen in just a seat belt. I would NOT sacrifice the FF'ers safety simply because that's the most "convenient" person to put in the 3rd row. And, to be quite honest, the number and placement of tether anchors in a new vehicle would be EXTREMELY HIGH on my priority list of features for any potential new vehicle purchase..absolutely as important as gas mileage and safety ratings.

aspiemama

Good news!

We took our seats to the dealership and lo and behold, there *were* two spots to tether in the 3rd row. They were just very well hidden! ;)

So all 5 rear seats have top tethers while only the 2nd row outboard has lower anchors. It seemed as though the Nautilus would work well as a booster too in the 3rd row. I tried a TB back there and it didn't fit flush against the seat. Not a big deal since it's an extra and we don't use it.

I feel much better knowing if I have to put a FF seat in the very back, I can tether it after all. The LR3 does score "Good" for rear impact too which was a selling point since there isn't a lot of space between the third row and rear windshield.

For the record, I would never buy a vehicle that I didn't feel completely safe putting my children in, whether it be the vehicle itself or a poor fit with the child restraints. :)

Thanks for all your replies!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC