Bigger = safer?

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
On my way home from the post office today, I saw the aftermath of a collision involving a 15 passenger Ford van and a Suburban. This was not a high speed crash, yet at least one person left the scene in an ambulance.

Size isn't the most important factor in safety! Proper restraint use and other safety features in the vehicle are just as important, if not more so.

ADS

Robert

CPST Instructor
I couldn't agree more. No matter the size, crash forces are still in play. Numerous time I have handled serious crashes where when you arrive on the scene you expect the worse due to the amount of damage only to find out the occupants are nearby on the phone to their family and are perfectly fine. Why? they were wearing occupant restraints.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
True, but-

IIHS statistics show that the advantages of mass level off around 4000 pounds as far as fatalities go.

Another factor is the stiffness of the frame. The crushing frame of a vehicle is the single best chance occupants have to increase the time for them to decelerate, thus decreasing the force on them in a severe crash. Rigid truck frames do not usually crush as well as unibody car platforms, and that is one reason why large trucks often do poorly in single vehicle crashes.

U

Unregistered

what's best when 3 kids need to be in car seats?

Next March I will need a vehicle to transport 5 people (+STUFF). Kid's ages will be 0, 3, and 5. Kid 1 and 2 are both very tall. Currently we drive either a company car Trailblazer or our own Denali. The Denali also pulls a boat and goes hunting. But with kid 3 coming, the Trailblazer can perform those duties usually.

Contrary to reports on handling, etc., I would put the Denali up against most other larger SUVs and vans. It has the tightest turning radius I have ever seen on a vehicle its size.

My question is, besides gas mileage and ancellary crap like that, what will be the safest vehicle to move about 3 kids who must all be in baby carrier and booster seats and a spouse?

It sure appears a 3 seat vehicle will be needed, and it seems I might want a larger vehicle (3 seat Suburban/Denali XL/Navigator, etc.) if at least 1 kid must be in very rear of vehicle...we also live in WI where snow is usually a factor...

What would you do? WWJD?

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Tough choices-

If heavy duty towing is needed, then a large truck-based SUV is the only option.

While the turning radius may be OK for parking, it's unlikely that many large SUVs handle nearly as well as most car based minivans with lower centers of gravity and independent suspensions. At least the Suburbans and older Expeditions I've driven are not in the same league- they are very optimized for smooth ride at the expense of tight handling. The higher rollover risk is also a concern, as these are the cause of a high percentage of fatalities in large SUVs.

If it has to be a large SUV, I'd consider an Expedition. The new models have wider tracks, a new independent rear suspension, lap and shoulder belts in every seating position and optional stability control and side impact protection system.

I'd still rather be in something like the 2004 Sienna with AWD if poor weather traction is a concern, but it may not be up to the towing task...

Also:

http://www.car-safety.org/family.html

U

Unregistered

thank you

Thank you Darren - my wife also mentioned the latest Expedition with the new lower SOG. Will look at Sienna and other website.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC