Heavy(ier) children in GN

autumnlily

So, I'd love to hear fit stories or even pictures of "heavier than average" children in GN.

My assumption is the Frontier would be more comfortable... however, it's not quite an option for the family.

41lb, 26 month old with a torso between 15 - 16"

Thanks

ADS

Raegansmom4

My dd1 is 43" tall and 52 lbs and is very comfortable in the GN. She prefers it over her Regent, actually (maybe it's the cup holders, lol). She's not really "chubby" though, just really solid (like you wouldn't guess she weighs as much as she does).

mominabigtruck

Neither of my kids fit that well in it when we tried it out. Both of them said they were squished and Peyton said he liked his blue carseat better (a husky). Both of my kids are considered "bigger" but they're also used to bigger carseats too so that's their point of reference.

4boysmom

My oldest outgrew the nauti at 65 pounds and the harness at the same time. Never had any issues. He's on the stockier side of things but only a bit.

abacus2

I don't think I have any pictures of her harnessed in it, but my daughter, who outgrew the Nautilus by weight, found it to be very comfortable. I've never tried a Frontier so I can't compare to two.

TnT's Mom

My son is almost 5 and 1/2 and weighs about 47 pounds. He is 44.5 inches tall with a long torso. He is a solid kid and he is still comfy in his Nautilus. We are on the top slots and getting close to outgrowing it and he does not complain about being uncomfortable. I hate the head slump when he falls asleep but he doesn't even complain about that.

Mommy2Marcus

So, I'd love to hear fit stories or even pictures of "heavier than average" children in GN.

My assumption is the Frontier would be more comfortable... however, it's not quite an option for the family.

41lb, 26 month old with a torso between 15 - 16"

Thanks

At 26 months & 41lbs with a 15-16 inch torso, wouldn't the child be better off with a Regent? I know that some have found them for about the same price as the Nautilus b/c they're being cleranced out. I was just thinking to get him to a proper boostering age, that this would be the best option. Here is a link to one for $159.99, so about what the Nautilus would be.

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-regent-youth-car-seat-sahara.html

http://www.hipmonkey.com/Britax-Regent-Youth-5-Point-Harness-Car-Seat_p_1.html

tl01

Here are pics of DS in the GN we had briefly. He is 42 lbs and 42 inches tall. He will be 4 next month. I was surprised by how narrow it is. DS had head flop issues so we returned it.

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

In a Radian for reference sake. He has more space for his arms and shoulders in the Radian.

IMG_2172.jpg

autumnlily

At 26 months & 41lbs with a 15-16 inch torso, wouldn't the child be better off with a Regent? I know that some have found them for about the same price as the Nautilus b/c they're being cleranced out. I was just thinking to get him to a proper boostering age, that this would be the best option. Here is a link to one for $159.99, so about what the Nautilus would be.

http://www.albeebaby.com/britax-regent-youth-car-seat-sahara.html

http://www.hipmonkey.com/Britax-Regent-Youth-5-Point-Harness-Car-Seat_p_1.html

Absolutely! It has been discussed with the family... $$ is an issue and they have a gift card to a store that has GN today. I'm hoping they try the GN first and if it is too snug - we can again talk about the Regent or Frontier *85 would be ideal for this young man!

autumnlily

Here are pics of DS in the GN we had briefly. He is 42 lbs and 42 inches tall. He will be 4 next month. I was surprised by how narrow it is. DS had head flop issues so we returned it.

IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2167.jpg

In a Radian for reference sake. He has more space for his arms and shoulders in the Radian.

IMG_2172.jpg

Thanks for the pics! The little man in question is under 40"... so he stockier than your guy - but it is nice to see the comparison. My DD is only 33lb and shy of 39" and on the second from bottom slot on the GN... so, I've had a hard time envisioning fit for the little man I'm asking about.

tl01

Absolutely! It has been discussed with the family... $$ is an issue and they have a gift card to a store that has GN today. I'm hoping they try the GN first and if it is too snug - we can again talk about the Regent or Frontier *85 would be ideal for this young man!

I wonder how he'd fit in a Radian.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC