Question Help me decide please, please give me your opinion

horseymom

Can you guys give me your opinion or WWYD in my shoes?

I'm trying to decide if I should buy DS a MR or CA (athough I think the CA is over priced $280 Can) and keep him RF. He was just weighed at the doctors and he is now 32lbs. Or do I flip him FF? I could use TF FF or give him his sisters FR and get her the new FR XT (which I am going to be buying her anyways).
How is the TF FF? I'm so undecided on turning him:confused: I never expected him to RF this long and now I can imagine him FF LOL I know you know what I'm taking about. On the other had he is almost 3.5 (in June).

thanks for all you help:thumbsup:

ADS

babyherder

I would get a seat to rear face him longer as long as you have the money (sounds like you do since your consider a new seat whether it rear faces or forward faces). I'm the kind of person that never wants to be in a situation that ends badly and look back and wonder what if I had done something differently.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
The seat has a 35 pound rear facing limit? Those three pounds could take months (or if like Piper, nearly a year). I'd wait until 35 pounds, and if he's 3.5 or older then I wouldn't consider a new seat. If it's next week, I probably still wouldn't.

Wendy

emandbri

Never mind I thought you had a MA.

Yeah you could wait and see. My daughter was 31 lbs for 9 months but then shot to 35 really quickly.

horseymom

The seat has a 35 pound rear facing limit? Those three pounds could take months (or if like Piper, nearly a year). I'd wait until 35 pounds, and if he's 3.5 or older then I wouldn't consider a new seat. If it's next week, I probably still wouldn't.

Wendy

I do feel like it will take him a while to gain the weight he seem to take for ever to gain. But just back in Dec on his bday he was 29 lbs so this is a pretty big growth spurt for him.
So if I do FF in the coming months would you FF him in the TF or the FR and put DD in the FR XT. (I do also want to get her a booster too for short rides, she is 48" tall and 51/52 lbs. She has also just had a growth spurt from 47lbs to 51lbs!:eek: but I'm really lost on what booster to get her, would a monterey work? I can get of the older DOM for $99 but we have no latch)

see why I'm so confused:whistle:

thanks

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
FFing him in the TF and Frontier sounds fine when he hits 35 pounds.

The Monterey doesn't require LATCH. But unless you buckle it in I'd probably go for a lighter seat without LATCH. Maybe a Turbobooster. But the Monterey is fine and should work well for her.

Wendy

arly1983

If it were me I would wait and see. I can't tell you how many times I have freaked after a growth spurt for nothing. DS had a smidge (a little less than 1/2) in in the frontier before Christmas after a growth spurt. He still has a smidge and now I have a monstorous seat I have always hated and wish I didn't have. :whistle: Oh, and now Britax is coming out with a taller Frontier. :rolleyes:

horseymom

I think I'll hold on and see I guess. plus with the warmer weather coming up he'll be in shorts and t shirt too. How is the parkway booster? maybe I should concider that one?

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Personally, I wouldn't flip him FF at 3 years 3 months. At 3 years 2 months, DD was 33# with jammies on, and over 34# with socks, winter coat, toque, mittens, so I was a little wary of her weight in the TF so I bought her a MR. She loves it and I didn't have to worry about checking weight. It's 4 months later and she has gained a little more than half a pound, so 33.5# with undies on.

That being said, your DS is 32# so you've got a pound more leeway than I had, AND the weather is going to be warming up. Soon he won't need all the winter gear in the vehicle so even if he gains weight, he will lose the weight of the winter wear.

Now, if you're just itching for a new seat, then heck ya, just go buy him a MR or CA now. :D

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC