4 years, 32 lbs, 41 inches tall

extra long legs... Turned 4 Dec 1st.. I have a radian xt SL, she normally rides ffing since her birthday.

I just turned her for a road trip tomorrow where we might encounter snow, I felt bad not since there was a slightly greater chance of hitting snow and getting in an accident..

Now I ask, was this ridiculous overkill to turn a 4 year old rfing? I just felt that since I had the means, I should. Dh thinks it was over kill and silly to go out in the pouring rain tonight and do that but he doesn't argue anymore.:whistle:

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Your DH sounds like mine. :) Don't argue when it comes to carseats and we'll be happy.

It may have been overkill, but it won't hurt, the recline will help for sleep, and if the worst happens you won't have a nagging "what if?" So I don't see the harm in it.

Wendy

Your DH sounds like mine. :) Don't argue when it comes to carseats and we'll be happy.

It may have been overkill, but it won't hurt, the recline will help for sleep, and if the worst happens you won't have a nagging "what if?" So I don't see the harm in it.

Wendy

Unless she breaks a leg.. haha you totally know I am just kidding around :p:rolleyes:;)

icnee

My 4+ is rfing sometimes she will ff but not when it is raining or snowing. So I don't think your crazy. And if it is a long ride she may be more comfy, alot of ffing kids legs will start to hurt on long rides.
Hope you guys have a nice ride.

carseatcoach

Carseat Crankypants
General statements: It's never wrong (IMO) to RF a child when there is a suitable RFing seat available. A physically and developmentally typical 4yo is very safe FFing.

Carseats are a last line of defense -- the first priority should be to not be in a crash in the first place. (Duh. And I know life doesn't always work that way.) But truly, if the weather was bad enough that I honestly felt my child would be unsafe, I'd be reconsidering a "road trip", unless it is something that simply HAS to be done. If the weather isn't that bad, then yes, I think flipping a 4yo RFing may be overkill, though I wouldn't call it ridiculous.

We are not going if the weather turns out to be bad, but if we get an inch of snow we are not canceling the whole thing over that.. (We are predicted to get an inch tonight and 1-3 through by the end of the day tomorrow) we are playing it by ear.

probably overkill but she will be safe still and enjoy the ride rfing and sleep ect, I have the safe stop in case she changes her mind when we get there too!

essnce629

I don't think it's overkill, as long as she doesn't mind rf'ing. In fact, my best friend, who turned her daughter ff'ing around 18 months and 24lbs, just called me today saying she wants to turn her now 3 1/2 year old daughter rf'ing for a 17 hour road trip they're taking in a few weeks. She thinks it will help her sleep better and her daughter is only 31lbs.

We might stay home now anyways, the snow is worse than they predicted for our town.. hmm Hubs is off to work for the morning and if the roads are bad we are staying here.

CTPDMom

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It doesn't look like much here Meghan! LOL

I agree with the others, if you have the ability to put her in a rf seat and she's not freaking out about it I'd go for it! Have a safe trip if you go...

It doesn't look like much here Meghan! LOL

I agree with the others, if you have the ability to put her in a rf seat and she's not freaking out about it I'd go for it! Have a safe trip if you go...
Keith drove to work and is all freaked out and is showing me the radar and acting like its going to be awful, I do not think it should be that bad, I learned how to drive in NH, in blizzards lol.. but my minivan is horrid in snow!

We actually have more than you guys in Derby though, I think we are getting the outer part of what NY is getting, as we go towards NH it will clear up

Last edited:
its not bad at all but he is all, I don't want to drive in it, bla bla (we would be driving away from it anyways.) and I guess he is concerned cause we are coming home Sunday with a dresser, I think that is absurd, how is it going to be bad sunday if there is hardly anything today?

Julianna is home though, the full out canceled school..:rolleyes:

we ended up going, the ride was fine, there was one point when we hit this random blizzard and were like "umm I guess we need to turn around" and then no sooner did we say that and it was gone, we drove out of it, there were a few more random blizzards in a few areas and for a mile in like lowell MA there was crazy hail.. but for the most part we just had some rain and that was it... coming home was totally fine :)
here is a pic or two as we were leaving
downsize19.jpg

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC