Help! Question about Evenflo Titan

stiggygirl

I just purchased the Evenflo Titan Elite as my spare/travel car seat (and we're going on a trip next week!) for my still rear-facing 22 month old daughter. My other car seats are Britax Marathon and Advocate so that is all I am familiar with.

The instruction booklet for the Evenflo states that the upper harness slots are NOT to be used in the rear-facing position, that "the child may not be properly restrained in an accident", yet my daughter is tall enough to be on the highest setting already (she's approx. 34" and nearing 30lbs).

So, what to do....

1) use the seat rear-facing anyway????

2) turn her forward-facing for our vacation, then go back to rear-facing when we get home (IF she goes for that!)????

3) buy a new seat that allows for higher harness slots in the rear-facing position???

If option #3 is your choice, any recommendations on seats????? I'm looking for a seat under $100 as this is only my spare for grandmas, travel, etc. and we have spent a small fortune on the Britaxes!

THANKS!!!!
-Megan

ADS

armywife12

If she fits RF and the harness doesn't fall off her shoulders while on the second to last slot, then it's fine. I'm not a fan of the short shell though and would return the seat anyways for an Avenue or Uptown

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
If her shoulders are above the top slot (they would have to be for her to fit the top slot rfing) she is too tall to forward face in the seat anyway. She also may not have an inch of shell above her head as needed for rear facing.

stiggygirl

Thank you both! I had her sit in it again and she's got an inch above her and she can fit the straps in the 3rd slot...barely. When I originally read the instructions, I thought the top 2 slots were for forward only, but after rereading and checking some other posts on here, I saw that the 3rd slot is okay for front or rear facing, but the highest slot is only for front. So, she'll still be able to rear-face in this seat. She will outgrown it in height long before the 50lb weight limit, however, (which is one of the reasons I bought it!) so I probably would have been better off with another seat... still may exchange it. Thanks for the info!

Maedze

I would second/third the rec. for an exchange. The weight and height limit Evenflo gave that seat is horribly misleading :thumbsdown:

The Avenue is about 20 dollars cheaping, and will last you probably 1-2 years longer, and will keep her rear facing longer due to the taller shell :) (even though it's a 40 pound seat!)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC