How do you report a tech?

Mirandagrate

The only certified tech inour area is giving out HORRID information to poeple. I once asked her that wasn't it safer for kids to rear face as long as possible and she said that no, when they're one and 20 lbs it's perfectly fine. She told my friend that she needed to forward face her eight month old because she wasn't sitting up on her own yet-and she knew that my friend's daughter might have cerebral palsy. She also demonstrates how to install a carseat on a metal folding chair. Not in the person's car.... what do I do? I've tried politely talking to her but I've been told I'm just wrong...

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Find your local (or failing that) state Safe Kids' coordinator's information, and report the problems to them. Safe Kids is the certifying body so they have more jurisdiction than anyone else over her (unless she works for a public agency of some sort.) Here's a page to find your nearest coalition: http://www.safekids.org/in-your-area/coalitions/

Wow, well I'm not sure how to report them but that's even worse than where I live... The last time I went by was to check the SS1 install in my car without a base (I had only ever use it with a base before) The guy told me that it was illegal not to use a base in America :rolleyes: I actually felt stupid because I had to show him "um...yes you can- this is how and this is what these belt paths are for...) and then he PRETENDED to know what he was doing and asked me why I was there if I already knew how! I knew "how" it went but wasn't sure about the seat touching the passenger seat, the noodle thing and a few other things that I wanted them to look at.

He had no experience installing an infant seat without a base AT ALL and pretended he did after watching me demonstrate. He asked why I would not use a base when I had one and I told him that I would simply like to know how to do it safely as I knew I'd have my sister a lot and wouldn't always have the base etc. -this was before she was born. He then told me it was possible but not safe and not recommended. He told me that she would only sit in that seat for 3 or 4 months- I told him "Well actually this one is up to 30lbs and many 18 month olds will still fit in it) he said that is not true...only 6 months at most and of course followed by "they have to ride the other way when they turn 1" I just said "Oh, well we will keep her RFing as long as possible because it is far safer" which he laughed at and I ended the conversation leaving there knowing more than he did and just being frustrated!

I feel your pain...if you find out how to report them I'd like to let them know that they should take a look at their Kissimmee techs also... :rolleyes:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Well, you can report her to the organizations she works with but that may not get you far. You should definitely call your nearest SK coalition because as I said, SK is the certifying body. They can either send someone to talk to her or if they don't have resources/time, can help you escalate it to a state or national level, whatever is necessary.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC