Question Okay so Radian it is BUT which one-2009 or 2010?

Ryalee

So i know that the 2010 model RF until 45 lbs and the 2009 RF's to 35 but dd is only 30 lbs now. She's 3 1/2. We plan on getting the new 2010 model for our baby so she can RF for a long time but does my 3 yr old really need the newer model? Is the only difference the RF limit? If i go for the 2009 model i save $100 which is quite a bit.

Here they are

2009-http://www.juniorbaby.com/details.cfm?Product_Code=sskXTmal

OR

2010-http://www.juniorbaby.com/details.cfm?Product_Code=ssk19560

ADS

featherhead

the other advantage of the 2010 model is the "superlatch". If you have a new enough vehicle (needs to be manufactured in Sept of '05 or newer) you can use LATCH until 65 lbs. If that is not something you care about, and 35 lbs is enough, then by all means, get the cheaper seat!

Ryalee

Okay thank's, i just don't want to do anything wrong or hear about anything bad about it if i get the older model. lol Our vehicle is a 2004 Santa Fe so i guess the super latch won't be good for us.

Last edited:

Ryalee

yikes i just noticed that there's a huge height limit difference between these. She is 39" now. Will i be better off getting the newer model just because of her height?

featherhead

yikes i just noticed that there's a huge height limit difference between these. She is 39" now. Will i be better off getting the newer model just because of her height?

depends on what you think of the listed height limits:whistle: For the most part those numbers can be disregarded. Most techs will recommend going by the "1 inch rule". Basically height wise your child will fit rear-facing till there is 1 inch of shell above their head. Some people are not comfortable going by this, and prefer to go by the manufacturers stated limits. I choose to go by the 1 inch rule.

armywife12

If you don't need the extra features of the 2010 models then id save the money and get last years. I didn't see this mentioned but thought Id throw it out there. The radians with a dom newer than Sept 08 will rf to 40lbs.

babyherder

Also, what if you got one new and one older and switched your kids around as they grow? The baby would probably be fine in the older one until your older child is ready to go ff. Then put older kid in older seat ff and the baby in the newer seat, with higher rear facing limit and baby can rear face for a long time.

Ryalee

depends on what you think of the listed height limits:whistle: For the most part those numbers can be disregarded. Most techs will recommend going by the "1 inch rule". Basically height wise your child will fit rear-facing till there is 1 inch of shell above their head. Some people are not comfortable going by this, and prefer to go by the manufacturers stated limits. I choose to go by the 1 inch rule.

Thank's i had no idea about the 1 inch rule. If that is the case i think she'd be fine for a while.:)

Ryalee

Also, what if you got one new and one older and switched your kids around as they grow? The baby would probably be fine in the older one until your older child is ready to go ff. Then put older kid in older seat ff and the baby in the newer seat, with higher rear facing limit and baby can rear face for a long time.

Yes i was thinking of doing that. Right now my 3 yr old is in a Marathon.. she is FF though, i turned her around when she turned 3. So i thought the baby could go into that and then when it expires i can get her the new model Radian.. well by then they'll be even newer ones out. I bought it in 2006.

armywife12

Hmm this is the one of the seats here but it says 35lbs. Do you think this is a 2009 model?
http://www.juniorbaby.com/details.cfm?Product_Code=sskXTmal

I have no idea what year that seat is lol. I do know that the 40lb weight limit was made retroactive and did have a 35lb weight limit before the change. That website may not have updated the info or it has an older dom. The site may be able to tell you the dom if you call.

Ryalee

I have no idea what year that seat is lol. I do know that the 40lb weight limit was made retroactive and did have a 35lb weight limit before the change. That website may not have updated the info or it has an older dom. The site may be able to tell you the dom if you call.

Oh okay, i'll make sure i call then before i do order it:)

babyherder

Yes i was thinking of doing that. Right now my 3 yr old is in a Marathon.. she is FF though, i turned her around when she turned 3. So i thought the baby could go into that and then when it expires i can get her the new model Radian.. well by then they'll be even newer ones out. I bought it in 2006.

I just thought since you mentioned rf weight limits for your 3 yr old you were planning to rf her. I would, but if you don't want to never mind!

featherhead

Good thing I just popped back in here! In Canada the Radians are NOT retroactive to 40 lbs. The 2009 XT is 35 lbs, and the 2010 XT is 45 lbs.

Ryalee

Good thing I just popped back in here! In Canada the Radians are NOT retroactive to 40 lbs. The 2009 XT is 35 lbs, and the 2010 XT is 45 lbs.

Thank's for clearing that up:) I think my older dd will be ok with the older model then and i'll get the baby a new one later on.;)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC