Would you buy a Mazda 5 or...

Jenng22

a honda element???

Hi Everyone,

I love this forum, it is so much fun... I had started a thread about bigger SUV's, but that was when we considered leasing only. Now we are changing our minds and thinking of buying our next car, but we do not want to go over 25-27k. We have one child right now, and I expect to have one more in the next two years.

We are looking at the Honda Element or Mazda 5...

Any thoughts out there which is more preferred, either from other people looking at them or from actual owners?

We would love feedback, because car seat safety, crash test ratings and vehicle reliability is top on our list for making the right choice!!!
Thanks to all you Mommies out there who offer advice and opinions!

And, btw, my son is in a TFP RF right now in my RDX, but I am not opposed to getting a Radian XTSL for the next car. I love Honda's reliability, but my Mom LOVES Mazda, said she never had a complaint from her cars. I did see the thread about the Mazda 5, so that is why I am "iffy" on taking the plunge to purchase. Plus, no AWD!

Ok, THANKS! :)

ADS

Maedze

I think from a 'mom with kids' perspective, the Mazda 5 is more kid/family friendly. I'm not commenting on which one is 'safer', but if I were faced with the decision I'd pick the 5 hands down.

Jenng22

You know what, I was thinking the Mazda 5 is def. more family oriented. I am only considering the Element because I have been with Honda Financial/Acura for years. I am in some super high credit tier because of my loyalty with them. And the Pilot base model is doable, but with that car, I would love AWD and then its a gas guzzler. Just like everything, there is no perfect car NOR a perfect car seat! LOL

Jenng22

Everyone I hear from says they love the Mazda 5 hands down... I have not seen it in person yet or given it a test drive though. I looked on informedforlife.org and they gave it a "medium risk" level for safety? I then looked on safercar.org and it had five stars. What is up with mixed ratings? I also saw Element has a bad roll over risk. Figures because it is a box on wheels, LOL! I still like it though.... how can you beat wipe down floors!

Melanie

They are such different vehicles. The Mazda is more family friendly. Slidding doors are so so convenient with little kids. The Honda is a Honda. Does the Element still have the back seat that folds down from the sides? Before deciding on the Element I'd really check out how car seats will work. I know someone with an FJ Cruiser and it's a big pain because of the clamshell doors. The Element may have similar doors. Are playdates in your near future? The Element only seats 2 in the back, IIIRC so extra kids wouldn't work.

What about the CRV? It may be more user friendly than the Element. It seems to be well liked.

Pixels

Everyone I hear from says they love the Mazda 5 hands down... I have not seen it in person yet or given it a test drive though. I looked on informedforlife.org and they gave it a "medium risk" level for safety? I then looked on safercar.org and it had five stars. What is up with mixed ratings? I also saw Element has a bad roll over risk. Figures because it is a box on wheels, LOL! I still like it though.... how can you beat wipe down floors!

NHTSA's frontal risk is listed at 9%, but then IFL adjusts that for weight of the vehicle, which apparently makes it higher. IFL doesn't have IIHS data, so they assume average. That results in a 29.4 frontal impact risk overall (average is 38).

It appears that an "average" vehicle gets Acceptable for frontal impact, Acceptable for side impact, Marginal for rear impact and Poor for roof rating from IIHS. That's the data that IFL is using in its SCORE calculation. If you assume that the Mazda5 should get a Good for frontal (based on 5-star NHTSA test), and Acceptable for rear impact (rear impact is entirely a test of the head restraints, and the Mazda5 has adjustable head restraints in all seating positions), the SCORE changes from 83.4 to 72.

Anything 65-100 is considered "medium risk" but an average vehicle is 100. Medium risk doesn't mean that the vehicle is in the middle safety-wise, it actually means that it is slightly better than average. Only the top 8% of vehicles get SCOREs below 65.

Jenng22

Well thank you Pixels, how informative! You girls are fantastic, that's why I love starting threads here. I had a CRV for almost 10 years, then upgraded to an Acura RDX but with our growing family and economy, we need to be frugal. The CRV is a great car, I just want a change... I feel the Mazda 5 is a great low cost alternative for everthing, gas mileage, space, sliding doors and so on... I have also read that the Element's suicide doors are a PIA, but I get into my RDX now, to get my son in his TFP. I have it with a center install... But the more I read, the more I want the Mazda. I hope reliability is good with this model, I have seen some mixed feelings here. If I am wrong, oh do tell! Thank ladies, you guys rock! :D

jsmom

Coming from someone who owns an Element, get the Mazda. I honestly would love ours if it was just DH and I. The back doors opening suicide are a pain with little ones. We bought the XTSL just for the sake of being able to buckle her from the outside of the truck. With the plastic floor, ive slipped so many times trying to lift her in and buckle her.

chay

I have a Mazda 5 and absolutely love it. Even my DH who HATES minivans has fallen in love with it and will take it instead of his car when he can. I now don't know how I survived without sliding doors, I love that it drives like a small car (especially in parking lots), I love the fuel economy, love that I could get a manual transmission, love the 4 tether anchors and that it can seat 6 but is still small. If you want 6 people and luggage you need to look bigger but with 4 we have tonnes of space. I've had 4 car seats in it a few times and I'm sure as the kids get older and start having more friends over that will be even more useful.

P.S. The XTSL works great second row, haven't tried a TF but everything else I've tried 2nd row has been super easy.

Jenng22

Oh no, slipping on the Element's floor?! I never even thought about that! That particular car choice is starting to "slip" down on my must have list. Some girls here loved their Elements though, so I guess it depends on the comparison. I know nothing will drive like my Acura either, that car was amazing. You really pay for what you get type thing. But that darn turbo engine was draining my wallet and gas tank! It always needed super premium fuel and I never got over 18mpg after 3 years! So in essence, I don't think I will miss my RDX too much. My mom said gas prices this summer were supposed to go to 3$ a gallon or something.

Well, speaking of car seats since we all love them, I actually want to get the XTSL to replace my TFP. Because every time I place my son in the TFP, he screams. I have adjusted it and played with it, and I have no idea why he is crying. I had tried a Radian from BuyBuybaby in my car, and my son loved it! I only returned it because I found a good deal on Albeebaby for the TFP, trying to save money. Hmmm, now I am thinking I need to rethink this all. If the XTSL fits nicely in that Mazda with room to spare in the front seats, then that might be the deciding factor. I really feel the kiddies should stay RF'ing as long as possible. It might sounds crazy to pick your next vehicle based on a car seat fitting, but after trying out so many seats in my Acura, I am surfing this forum to find the best combination! And again, thanks for all the responses!

Does the Mazda get good mileage in automatic?

mam1937

Having had both the Honda Element and the Mazda 5 with one child, I hands down say Mazda 5. The Honda's doors were a deal breaker. It was so hard to get my son out of the car when we were parked next to someone. Also, with RF, I found it hard to get him out of the carseat because the door actually opens to the area in front of the seat, so I either had to pull him up and over the shell of his car seat or put him on the other side and climb in to the seat next to him. The Honda on seats 4, so if you ever want anyone else along, or have another baby, you have no seats left over. With all this being said, I did love my element- loads of leg room in the 2nd row, wipeable floors, plenty of cargo area. It just felt really roomy. The Mazda 5 feels a little more squished and cramped, but you cant beat the sliding doors and ability to seat 6.

2BunniesMommy

I have heard on here that Elements are terrible with rear facing seats. Very hard to get kids in and out. I wanted a Mazda5 a couple years ago, but we were not able to find one in our price range. I love them though. We ended up getting a minivan and let me tell you, sliding doors are great! I love the extra because it is super windy where we live and it is great to be able to get the kids in and out and not have to worry about keeping the doors from flying into the car next to use or anything. Between the two, I would get the Mazda5.

Jenng22

Thanks Tori, I have heard that about the Element with the RF'ing seats. I am even suggesting to my DH if Honda wants to really keep our business, a Pilot would be nice as well. It just guzzles that gas and is more expensive, so I will probably get the Mazda in the end. The fact my DH is open to looking at a Mazda vehicle is great too. He is purely a Honda/Acura/Audi guy...

jsmom

Oh no, slipping on the Element's floor?! I never even thought about that! That particular car choice is starting to "slip" down on my must have list. Some girls here loved their Elements though, so I guess it depends on the comparison. I know nothing will drive like my Acura either, that car was amazing. You really pay for what you get type thing. But that darn turbo engine was draining my wallet and gas tank! It always needed super premium fuel and I never got over 18mpg after 3 years! So in essence, I don't think I will miss my RDX too much. My mom said gas prices this summer were supposed to go to 3$ a gallon or something.

Well, speaking of car seats since we all love them, I actually want to get the XTSL to replace my TFP. Because every time I place my son in the TFP, he screams. I have adjusted it and played with it, and I have no idea why he is crying. I had tried a Radian from BuyBuybaby in my car, and my son loved it! I only returned it because I found a good deal on Albeebaby for the TFP, trying to save money. Hmmm, now I am thinking I need to rethink this all. If the XTSL fits nicely in that Mazda with room to spare in the front seats, then that might be the deciding factor. I really feel the kiddies should stay RF'ing as long as possible. It might sounds crazy to pick your next vehicle based on a car seat fitting, but after trying out so many seats in my Acura, I am surfing this forum to find the best combination! And again, thanks for all the responses!

Does the Mazda get good mileage in automatic?

Yeah, slipping. I am in Upstate NY though so its either snowing or raining ALL the time.

Crystal.

CPS Technician
I have a Mazda 5 and absolutely love it. Even my DH who HATES minivans has fallen in love with it and will take it instead of his car when he can. I now don't know how I survived without sliding doors, I love that it drives like a small car (especially in parking lots), I love the fuel economy, love that I could get a manual transmission, love the 4 tether anchors and that it can seat 6 but is still small. If you want 6 people and luggage you need to look bigger but with 4 we have tonnes of space. I've had 4 car seats in it a few times and I'm sure as the kids get older and start having more friends over that will be even more useful.

P.S. The XTSL works great second row, haven't tried a TF but everything else I've tried 2nd row has been super easy.

Ditto to all of this!

My only complaint about the Mazda5 is that the rear air vents are only cold air vents. If you live in a cold climate, that might be a deal breaker. Also, in the Texas summer with RF children, it tends to be a little hot back there for them, but they managed.

I find that my automatic gets about 22-23ish mpg in town and around 27ish on the highway. Not as great as my last car, but it was definitely worth it. I seriously love my 5.

Jenng22

Well we're in Northern "Joisey" and it's snowing so bad right now, we're in a snowicane! Thats why I am on the forums, what else do you do when there is supposed to be 2 feet of snow at your doorstep, LOL

But back to the chat here, I think there will always be subtle imperfections with vehicles in this 20k price range like the Mazda 5, ie., the air vents that only blow cold air, etc. Well, let me say maybe any car for that matter... I don't think I have had a a single car that didnt have something that bugged me. Kind of like car seats too, I am still searching for that perfect fit!

And it does get super cold here, but my son does tend to get hot in whatever car seat he sits in, so probably not a big deal breaker for us in the end. I think for me, the hardest part will be transitioning to a car without AWD. That is really what I am wrestling with now, and changing car companies. But my DH just said, "how great you can post your thoughts here and get real world feedback from mommies just like you" I said "amen to that", I need all the help I can get with making big decisions. :)

Heather98012

I've driven both & while I think the Element might be more fun, the Mazda5 is more family friendly & would be my choice, hands down. The gas mileage & sliding doors just make it drool worthy, IMO.

I'm trying to figure out how to convince DH to let me trade in my 5 year old paid for Tucson for a Mazda5 at the moment. He hasn't said no, but he's kinda blowing me off. The 0% financing is a nice benefit, at the moment so maybe that will help my case!

Jenng22

Wow, 0% financing? That would seal the deal for me... we can't buy til April or so, and I am really hoping the deals will be the same then or better. So far, everyone I know who has this car, loves it. Unless I drive it in person and hate (which I doubt) I am set on the GT model. I also adore the Mazda 3 hatchback, but I think that might be too small. The reviews have praised that car as well, it has fantastic resale value. Not sure about car seats fitting in that though? If anyone has that car, please chime in!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC