Ugh, head slump in GN

firemomof3

Poor dd2 trying to get comfortable sleeping in the GN :mad:

carseatstuff054.jpg

ADS

Kat_Momof3

lmbo... I started crowing with laughter seeing that...

Ruthie used to sit with one or both of her legs like that... and I NEVER was able to catch it on camera when she did both legs...

but to see her all sleeping like that just struck me as hilarious.

Are you going to keep the Nauti or do you hate it now? (are the straps too high... it almost looks like they are, but I'm sure it's just an illusion)

MoreLatte

That is the cutest pic!

DD was five when we switched from the MA to the GN and she had a lot of slump early on but then she figured out how to get situated in it and doesn't have an issue now. I tried my 3 1/2 yr old in it a couple of times and she has horrible head slump, same with the XT.

Head slump is a major pet peeve of mine, so I understand your frustration. I'm giving the XT another week and if she still can't sleep comfortably in it, its going bye bye!

firemomof3

The straps are just above her shoulders, right where they're suppose to be. I took the GN out and its in the basement now :rolleyes: So far she sleeps comfortably in the XT & CA but I don't have any pics yet. I never had any head slump issues with the Frontier but my little dd2 just swam in it.

Maggie

One of the reasons we got rid out our GN was that. We also didn't like how narrow it was in the shoulder area. We used it for a few months and just couldn't deal with the head slump.

Citrine

I feel your head slump pain. My 3yr 4mo old has wicked head slump. I felt bad on our 17hr trip. She had more room in the GN then in her wizard but the head slump was not pretty and only got some sleep because I put a pillow and sweater to help her head. She rode in the GN a week and always fell asleep when we went to go pick up sister at school with head slump. I have since put her wizard back in and no head slump.

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Hmm, I guess we've been lucky. So far no head flopping or slumping. We drive 14 hrs to FL several times each year. I take my husband's car because it gets better gas mileage. I leave around 4a and my son sleeps until about 7 or so. No issues with it falling forward. He is 5 yrs 2.5 mos old and we've had the seat for 1 yr 2 mos.

jessi f

We just got a nautilus for DS, I hope he can sleep ok in it. He very rarely sleeps in the car anyways so as long as he's comfy otherwise we'll be ok.

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
The head slump is why we got rid of the Nautilus, too. Ds could not get comfortable. He'd fall asleep, and then within minutes he'd be crying and crying and miserable, then he'd pass out briefly again, and the same thing would repeat.

That's an awesome picture though!

scoutingbear

Love the picture!

C doesn't really like his GN because he just can't get his legs all the way out like that (LOVES the Radian because he can do anything he wants with his legs.) He used to have horrible head slump in his GN but is getting better as he is getting older about positioning his head in hte wings before he falls asleep. Still some slumping though. As a result, it is not our "long drive" or vacation carseat.

melniemi

Cute picture - poor baby! That is why I got a Frontier rather than a Nautilus. I was afraid of the headslump. My dd has only had headslump once in her Frontier and has slept in it dozens of times.

JOII

My son slept in it the exact same way! How funny! (sorry for the small pic, I couldnt find the bigger version.) We no longer use the GN since I dont like how it fits in my 3 across. My son slumps in pretty much any seat, how ever it doesnt seem he cares.

IMG_0512.jpg

Mylilboyblue

We have been using the GN for DS for a while now in my DHs truck and we did a long ride (from Northern NJ to Cape May) twice since we have had it and while his head slumps slightly it doesn't seem to bother him. He hasn't slept much in the car lately and actually hasn't slept in the car at all since I switched the GN out for the RN 65 in my car so I am not sure if he will slump in that too. We had head slump issues RF in the EFTA in my mom's car too.

I wouldn't count out a seat for head slump, though it doesn't bother him or me. But if it is bothering your DD and you alot I probably would go with something else.

Yoshi

FWIW, my daughter had awful head slump just sitting in the installed Frontier (we had seatbelt incompatibility anyway) but happily NO head slump in the GN. Must be the different vehicle seat shapes that make it happen. She slept great in her GN until she outgrew it. :twocents:

menfusse

I hate when my kid slumps and she does to, but I have to say that pic is so funny!

We reallllly wanted a GN. In the last year we've had a TF, RN, and now a MR. The TF was so wide, we sideways slump. DD's head never even made it to the sides. But my biggest problem with it was that it caught her g-button and made her tremendously sore. I LOVED the RN. LOVED it. Fit her without button issues. When she turned 4, she wanted to FF, so I turned her and the head slump was horrible. It made her miserable beyond miserable. We went looking for a seat that would support her and not interfere with her button. GN was one we tried out and it fit her soooooooo well. That belly pad was fabulous. But, I was worried about head slump, so we ended up with the MR. I've been happy with it. I don't really have any complaints other than it's a bit high. I also wish she had more of a "big girl" seat, but I'm afraid to even try the GN.

cookie123

It looks like the headrest is too high? You should email that photo to Graco. If so many have head slump, maybe they should do something about it.

firemomof3

So, took the GN out and put her XT in for her. She loves it and so far its working out. I just SO miss the smooth easy pull of the GN to tighten the harness :(
escavator001.jpg

Mommy0608

Haha, that first picture is so cute! Poor baby. Your last picture is funny too... love your DD1's head at the top of the seat. :p

Kat_Momof3

I love her fit in the Radian... but then, I think most of the reason it looks uncomfortable up top is how narrow she is... the Radian hugs her more... even if her head flopped, she'd look more contained.

midwestmeg

Boy the radian looks like it fits her nicely!!

We have head slump in the GN, I hate it. But otherwise it fits dd well and she loves it. And sleeping doesn't seem to be a problem for her.

She does sleep in the car, but at 5.5 she doesn't *have* to and I almost wish she didn't! :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC