• Yes, she is old enough that her preference matters in this situation

Votes: 92 95.8%
  • No, the safety benefits outweigh her preference

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Clicky box/other

Votes: 2 2.1%

• Total voters

oxeye

I'm pretty sure I know what I am going to do but I am curious what others here would do.

DD2 is asking to ride FF. She is teeny and could ride RF for 2-3 more years most likely in the XTSL. She is 4.5 years old right now. She rode FF for a few months when she hit 33-34 pounds and our seats only went to 35 pounds. When the Radian got approved to 40 pounds I asked her if she would like to go RF again and she was very excited to but now she wants a change. So I could probably flip her every month or so and she'd just be happy with the variety. ;)

To you guys, at 4.5 and no where near the limit of her seats for RF does her preference outweigh the safety benefit? Just curious!

ADS

AtTheSouthDam

At 4.5 I would turn. Heck, I would happily turn her around so she was RF again a let her flip flop for several months if that is what she wanted. When she gets closer to the limits explain soon the FF will have to permanent. Oh, a makes sure she knows she can't flop without notice, you have to have to change to change it around, so if she wants to go RF right before you drive off to preschool or whatever she'll just have to wait ;)

Kat_Momof3

at 4.5yrs, you just can't ask for more than that... in sweden, that's closer to the higher end of the 4-5yrs they do...

I think she's at an age where she knows what she wants and the safety risk of being forward facing is minute... I'd let her go ff.

I think it's similar to me being fine with a 6yr old (as long as they are mature enough to use one properly) being allowed their request of a highback booster... or an 8-9yr old a request to go to a backless booster.

icnee

I would let her go back and forth. My 4yo is rfing and some times she will ask the same thing. So when weather is clear and we are only going to be in mild traffic I let her go in her brothers Monterey Hb. She does very well with that.

firemomof3

I would also be comfortable turning her. My dd2 just turned 4y/o and she is currently ff but we'll see when we take a longer trip because usually her legs hurt and she asks to be turned back rf :p

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
At that age and weight, I'd put her FF if she preferred and if she ever preferred RF again, I'd flip her back if she was in the limits.

Cryssy Jane

I'd be comfortable turning her. She's made it pretty far as is! And if she wants to flip flop, I'd probably give in for a while too...

Cryssy Jane

I would let her go back and forth. My 4yo is rfing and some times she will ask the same thing. So when weather is clear and we are only going to be in mild traffic I let her go in her brothers Monterey Hb. She does very well with that.

You let your 4 year old go from RF to a HBB... wowza. That I don't think I'd be comfortable with.

Calideedle

I'd be fine with it.

DD is 4yrs and goes back and forth between RFing and FFing every few weeks. She is FFing as of today ... in a week she will ask to RF again. lol

Cryssy Jane

Why not? There's nothing wrong with it. 4 is a good age to start booster training.

I think it was more of the rf to hbb transition and skipping ff that got me more. I have no objections to booster training, but the way it was said caused me to assume that the child hasn't spent any harnessed time FF. That's all. Sorry to hijack.

Maedze

I think it was more of the rf to hbb transition and skipping ff that got me more. I have no objections to booster training, but the way it was said caused me to assume that the child hasn't spent any harnessed time FF. That's all. Sorry to hijack.

So what if she hadn't? :confused:

Forward facing with a top tether is no more than a concession to the fact that we haven't had seats that rear face to 4 until very recently. There's no 'need' for a child to be in a forward facing seat, ever.

If I could keep my kids rear facing till five or six and move them directly to boosters, I would.

icnee

She was FFing for a long time untill I learn that she could rf and how much safer it is for them. I have Regent for her but I don't have room to keep it in the car. Her brothers HBB fits well and she rides well in it. I will not take in the van in it longer than 5 to 10 minuts bacause she does not ride well longer than that she under stands safety well and rememers every thing. So I dont want to tell her no and have her think that it's never safe.

oxeye

Thanks for the feedback! You all were thinking the same thing as me. I prefer to have to RF if she doesn't have a preference, but I am fine turning her now that she wants to go FF.

I'm perfectly happy to switch her back and forth so I will probably do that if she wants to go back RF sometimes.

I doubt I'll get around to actually doing it until this weekend, though.

BeckC

At 4.5 I would let her FF if she wanted to and I would also flip her back RF if she wanted.

Mommy0608

I agree with the others. Flip her FF if she wants to. As for going back and forth, just be sure she understands eventually that the switch will have to be permanent.

For what it's worth, I switched DD at just shy of 3.5 years (I think about 3 years, 4.5 months). She could have stayed RF longer, and especially now that she's losing weight. However, she fought and fought, and it got to the point where her age, desire and my sanity all played a role in the decision.

You have to do what works for your family. At 4.5, I think either RF or FF are fine choices. :)

Mommy2Marcus

I turned my son about a month ago. 3 was always my goal & we made it mostly. So when the MR was in a wreck & needed replaced I got him a nautilus. I would be fine with her FF.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC