Question about using L.A.T.C.H. beyond 40 pounds with new Radian XT SL

RaisingRocco

Hello,

I am brand new to the forum and just purchased a new SK Radian XT SL for my three-year-old. I am also shopping for a "new" used car for myself. I am currently driving a 2003 Honda Civic, which has a weight limit of 40 pounds for the L.A.T.C.H. system. The Radian manual states their new three-prong L.A.T.C.H. can be used up to 80 pounds in vehicles manufactured after September 2005, so I started shopping for a 2006 Honda Civic and came here hoping to get more information. I am worried because I read somewhere that Honda still has the 40-pound weight limit even with newer models. I'm so confused now and want to get a safe car that will work with the L.A.T.C.H. Please share anything you've learn and any links to articles on the topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Sid

ADS

crunchierthanthou

Did you try installing it with the seatbelt? That is no less safe than LATCH if you can get a good installation. You can still choose to use the top tether. Switching to the seatbelt won't utilize the superlatch feature, but is less expensive than replacing your vehicle. ;)

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
Vehicle LATCH limits didn't change in September '05. What changed was the pull test used for the anchors. And I believe this showed that lower anchors could take more force than the original test showed. Manufacturers didn't update any limits to reflect this though although they may have updated their lower anchors if rquired to pass the new test.

Sunshine Kids is saying that all vehicles manufacturerd after Septemeber '05 passed that new pull test and thus can be used with the SL anchors regardless of the weight limit specified by your manufacturer. It's parental decision if you want to agree with SK and keep using the lower anchors with SL or if you want to follow the manufacturer's unchanged guidelines and switch to a seatbelt install.

As crunchy mentioned, it's a lot cheaper to use the seat belt than to buy a new vehicle if your vehicle is otherwise fine for your use.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
This is a big issue that hasn't been resolved in a decade by the manufacturers. At some point, the governments will really need to step in and take over with real regulation for what the technical working groups haven't been able to do with self regulation.

Ultimately, you have two possibly conflicting sources. The manufacturer of the vehicle and that of the child restraint. Only you can make the final decision on who to trust. I wish we could provide you better guidance, but there is so little information on the strength of these attachments and anchors that we would have little upon which to base our advice. Using the seatbelts as suggested by others is the best advice a technician could offer.

RaisingRocco

Thank you for the information. I was afraid that was going to be the answer :) The problem with the 2003 Civic is that the seatbelt installation is not nearly as tight, no matter what I've tried. If the post September 2005 model cars have been tested with better results, that makes me feel more comfortable using the L.A.T.C.H. when my son hits 40 pounds. Fortunately, the 2003 Honda I am driving belongs to my parents. I need a new car no matter what, so with this information, I will narrow my search to the 2006 or newer models. Thank you :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC