Tall Three Year Old in a Convertible

RowanTree

I (maybe stupidly) made a deal with my husband before we got married that in exchange for him never buying a motorcycle, I would be ok with him keeping a sports car. He is driving his second Ford Mustang, and this time, it's a convertible!

Suffice it to say, we have several issues against us:

1. space. The baby was in the Britax Roundabout because it was the only seat we could find that would fit in the backseat.

2. She is tall for her age. (I don't know her exact height... More than three feet -- she's tall enough to ride the kid rides at the fair).

3. She's skinny, so I don't quite think she's hit 40 pounds yet. Close, but not quite.

Now that she's outgrowing her Roundabout, and I've had to give away my Evenflo Advance to grandparents, I was happy to find the Britax Frontier for my car. I didn't even know this existed, and I love the fact that it will work as a harness and then later as a high-back booster.

But, I didn't order two, because I really don't think it's going to fit in the Mustang.

I love the steel-reinforced frame of the Sunshine Kids convertible seat, and the Magnesium frame of the Oobr, but the Sunshine Kids doesn't convert to a booster, and the Oobr doesn't have the harness which we need right now.

So, I'm at a loss. What is the most compact, combo seat with harness that converts to high-back booster, with EPS, with majorly safe construction like steel alloy or magnesium?

Thoughts folks?

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Metal doesn't mean the carseat is safer, as far as we know. The plastic seats pass testing as well.

I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro, the Radians, a Safety 1st Complete Air if she's rear facing. I wouldn't worry about a booster right now. That's years off. Buy what she needs now, worry about a booster later.

Is it a modern Mustang, or a classic?

Wendy

Callansmomma

CPS Technician
Have you looked at the Graco Nautilus? It is cheaper than the Frontier. Not necessarily that much smaller though. It is ia FFing only seat. It converts to a high back booster and then to a backless booster. The new Elite version has adjustable headwings.

We have the Nautilus and the Frontier. Both do the job well, but we prefer the Frontier. My son has long legs and it fits him better. That being said, however, the Nautilus is great for Daddy's car where it isn't used as much.

Can you go to BRU and see if the Frontier or Nautilus will fit into his car? They will let you take seats out to try them for fit. Good luck!

Oh, just realized. I know that an Apex 65 WILL fit into a convertible Mustang well. I've put ours into my friends' car. I have not, however, tried the Nautilus in it. Maybe I will next time I go to visit him. It would be too late for you (I won't go until May), but I am curious.

munchkin

I have successfully put a Radian, Frontier, and Nautilus all into a 09 and 10 Mustang, so if you have a newer one you are good.

A couple of things to add to helping you make a decision. Neither the Nautilus or the Frontier can be used very high in booster mode - on mine because of the ceiling, yours will probably hit the convertible top. Second, the Radian will work in the car, but is a much trickier install, unless you are willing to really work putting it in and being patient, I would highly recommend going with either the Nautilus or the Frontier.

Let me know if you have any more questions or need more info, I can try to help.

RowanTree

I looked at the Nautilus, and I think it's a bit big as well. My thoughts on the frame are only that in the event of a rollover, she might be safer. But, I just don't even want to "go there." She doesn't ride in the car that often, but as you all can relate, we want to do everything we can to keep them safe.

I checked out the Apex 65, but I can't tell from the website if it has EPS/EPP foam. Then, when I do find a seat I think is a good size, it doesn't have the head wings, which I don't want to do without. Thank you for all of your suggestions!

(The first Mustang was a '95, the second was the '05. I think he'd keep the '05 forever and ever!)

Kat_Momof3

I'm pretty sure someone around here has pics of the Nautilus fitting in Harness mode in the Mustang (I don't think it fit as a hbb... just as a harnessed seat or no-back booster)

Yep... found it - http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=62586&highlight=nautilus+mustang - the pictures aren't up anymore... but the pictures aren't even the point... the point is... it fit!

The same person also had the Frontier in their Mustang... pics are not accessible as the album is now private... but the point is... she talks about how tall she could let it go... and I'm sure if you pm'd her, she'd let you see pics

http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=72296&highlight=nautilus+mustang

munchkin

That's me! I still have the pics. I just ran out of room in photobucket, so I had to move them to a new account. If you are still interested in seeing pics, I can send you the link and password. I don't mind sharing, I would just prefer to not publicize it on the web ;).

Kat_Momof3

Figured that was why... :) I knew you'd let her see them, even if you didn't want to post them again... (see above where I encouraged her to pm)

Your threads definitely got embedded in my mind because so few are that thorough with the pics and everything and it's hard to find seats to fit that car so well.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC