Radian XT for 9yr old with CP

U

Unregistered

I have a 9 yr old son with cerebral palsy who has been granted a wish to go to Disneyworld. He has low trunk strength and needs a 5 point harness. At home we have two special needs car seats, a Snug Seat Gorilla as well as a Britax Traveller Plus. Apparently neither of these seats are approved for airline travel, so now I am figuring out what I need to do.

I have contacted Transport Canada and they recommended I purchase a Radian XT. My son weighs 50 lbs and is 48" tall. Would the Radian still work for him?

The only other option is to buy a third special needs car seat, the Columbia which is approved for airline use. This would be a $1000 cost.

If the Radian would last him for a year or two that is the route I would like to go. Surely my son can't be the first child with his condition to fly but it sure feels like that right now.

ADS

flipper68

Senior Community Member
I'm not familar with Canadian seats/regulations, but I have two young friends (11 yrs old) with special needs who use the "Tomato." http://www.adaptivemall.com/sptompscarse.html

I wonder if you could find one to borrow for the trip. Easter Seals, the Make A Wish folks, a pediatric therapy clinic or special needs fitting station would all be possibilities.

My friend with CP has traveled by plane several times with the Tomato. The family likes it because it can also be used as a "booster" seat in restaurants or used inside a Convaid stroller. They leave the $$$$ w/c at home but she still has good torso support when traveling.

BTW - I hope you are staying at the Give Kids the World Resort http://www.gktw.org/ as a part of this trip. I've gone twice - once as a caregiver for the friend above and more recently as a volunteer.
What an amazing place!! :love:

courtfrog2

I agree.. the nautilus would surely fit him.

But, I think that the XT would do just fine. I was shocked how much room the XT has. My 5 year old, plus my sorta smallish (53inch tall) 10 year old fits too. Even with the headwings. XT is easier to travel with, plus it has an 8 year expiry date so if you need to use it for a younger kid when he is done with it, it will be great.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC