Incompatible?

scoutingbear

I looked through the successful Radian Install thread, but didn't find the answer, so, I'm hoping someone can verify for me! 1999 Suburban, middle row, FF Radian installed with seatbelt. I COULD NOT get it in tight enough with the way the buckles on the seatbelt are. It is a lap belt and has short buckle stalk, so there was no ability to twist it. Any other tricks?

It is my dad's car, but we use it frequently when everyone wants to go together (we used it this weekend to take a snow weekend with 7 of us). I need to put something in that middle seat that is narrower than the GN so that the adults that sit on either side of C can have a bit of room to move their arms!

In the short time we had before we left on Friday, I tried the Radian, could not get it to work, and switched to the MA. Was not too comfortable with that since there are no tethers in the car, but then realized the middle lap belt in the 3rd row wasn't being used, so tethered to that.

My parents keep a GN at their house for use most of the time and A has his turbo there. The hard part is when we are all in the car! Just FYI, the best seating arrangement we have come up with is 2 adults in front seats, Adult, C in harnessed seat (no headrest and lap belt only), Adult in middle row, and Adult, empty seat (no head rest; lap belt), A in his turbo.

ADS

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
I texted the person I helped with a radian. I thought it was in about a '99 burb. Will post back if I get an answer.

Judi

CPST/Firefighter
She has a '95. Not sure if it is the same body, But we got a great install in there.

Ok, more info. She had the same problem, but now has a different belt on there.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Long-term, I wonder if you're looking at an 86-Y with booster and installing a HDTA there...

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have a 2001 Chevy Venture with the same belt system in my 2nd row middle seat, and yes the Radian is incompatible FF in that seating position. I have heard that Chevy will replace the belt system, but our dealership knows nothing about it, and we sold the Radian anyhow because I wasn't happy with the RF install.

scoutingbear

Thanks! Just wanted to make sure it wasn't me. C still can use the GN in that spot and even his MA if we tether it to the seatbelt behind it. I doubt my dad will want to switch out the seatbelt since the 'burb has almost 300,000 miles on it. ;) Same with getting retrofit tether anchors for the 3rd row.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC