Need help deciding on a seat for my 2.5 YO

KLS

As background: I posted a few days ago about wanting a seat for my daughter who is still RF. She is 2.5, 33" and 27 lbs. She seems to hate any and all carseats we've ever put her in. She does seem to like to recline a bit. When we tried to put her FF for a long trip, she requested that we move the seat back to RF. We have a '97 Honda Accord, and her seat is in the middle (no LATCH).

I'm now trying to decide between the Sunshine Kids Radian 80SL (suggested by someone on this board) and the Britax Frontier. I know the Frontier can't RF, but my understanding is that it does recline a bit when FF. Is this true? Do you think it would be comfortable for a child who likes to RF in a recline position?

When I looked at the Radian in person, the sales person told me there is no recline in the FF position. This wouldn't be an issue for a while as long as we keep our daughter RF, but I dread the day when we have to FF because of weight. I also worry about the install of the Frontier in our car.

I am leaning toward the SK Radian 80SL, primarily because it seems like it would be the best fit for our tiny car. I also like the idea of the Radian because I know ERF is safer.

Any advice on what to do? I would like to avoid purchasing multiple seats. Any anecdotes about the comfort of your kids (FF or RF) in either of these seats would be appreciated!

ADS

Maedze

As I would never recommend turning a two year old forward facing, I would also suggest the Radian, although I personally would go for the XTSL with the headwings, not the 80SL without them.

The sales person was wrong; there is a recline function in forward facing mode with the Radian :)

armywife12

Have you tried her in the myride? She Is very small and I would never recommend ff a child that small or one only 2.5 yrs old. We love our Radian and my tall 2.5 yr old has tons of rf room in it. It does recline a bit ff. The frontier is a great seat for older and bigger children but doesn't reclined much when ff.
The myride has a great natural reclined to it both rf and ff. My tall 2.5 yr old still has rf room in that as well (pic in siggy)

KLS

I will see if I can look at a MyRide in person. Thanks for the suggestion! Any idea how it would fit in a smaller car?

armywife12

I will see if I can look at a MyRide in person. Thanks for the suggestion! Any idea how it would fit in a smaller car?

The MyRide? Fantastically!!! We had it RF in the center of our Neon with more than enough room for front passengers to move their seats just about all the way back. This was at a more upright angle for my 2 yr old but still had plenty of room while reclined back more. I have pics on my computer at home but I'm still on vacation. We also had it outerboard in our CX-7, which is a pretty tight space, and it fit great while barely even touching the seat in front and most ppl were able to ride pretty comfortably in the passenger seat with the MyRide behind them.

swtgi1982

My son is the exact same age and size as your DD. We just got him a CA and it installs pretty upright, but reclined enough for him to sleep, he is happy with it. Also it fits well in the tight third row of my dodge caravan,not much room between the third and second rows, but it is doable so you should be able to in any car, even a small one.

Kat_Momof3

I would get the myride... you have a small kid, who will have loads of room in it rearfacing and then forward facing... it has nice large protective sides, comfy covers, and it reclines well both rear and forward facing (and yes, it fits well in small cars)

I would definitely have him rearface until he's 4yrs or 40lbs... if he hits 4yrs and isn't 40lbs... leave it up to him.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC