RSTV Safety issue

steph_s

My RSTV is broken and not functioning properly! As most of you know I own 4 of these vests (2 old style, 2 new style). The size small old style that I just replaced btw before the new ones came out because my old one was looking rough is not working properly. The straps going across the chest will not stay tight at all. This is a problem! I am using it with a lap only belt and top tether and the vest won't stay tightly closed so it re-routes the lap belt and the top tether isn't tight and the child can slip out of the vest.

So, I contacted the company and this is the response I got after 2 emails!!

My apologies for the delay in responding.

We have Corrected the problem with the new version of the vest. If you would like a replacement vest, I did receive permission from our CEO to offer you the new vest at a discount cost of $74.00 (small vest – retail $124) or $79.00 (large vest – retail $129) plus shipping.

If you choose not to replace the vest, the loosening is not an issue as long as the seat belts are in correct position: shoulder belt over center of the collarbone and lap belt over the top of the thighs.

Please feel free to call or email me if I can be of further assistance. I am teaching all day today so if you call me, I may not be able to return your call until after 5:00 pm Mountain Standard Time.

Kind regards,

:jaw: :scratcheshead: :scratcheshead: Now how on earth is it acceptable that my vest is defective and they offer me a discount on a new one not to fix or replace my old one? I am sooooo mad right now! In my first email I explained how this was causing the belts to be routed in-correctly.

ADS

steph_s

Not a clue, there is no date that I can see on it. I know it was right after they released the new ones. I purchased a new style size large and an old style size small at the same time from the company. No clue about warranty.

I just heard back from the lady who sent me the original email. It simply states "I understand your concern, forwarding your email to our CEO". Ummm yeah I'm thinking I'm not going to hear back from them for another 2 weeks about this!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
They don't expire, and the one I bought new last year was made in 2005. Though if you bought from the company and it was sitting on their shelf for four years, they should do something, IMO. Warranty doesn't count if it's on their shelf and their shelf alone.

Wendy

steph_s

I don't see how warranty is really an issue when the vest has only been used one time (and I'm a bit freaked out to think that it might have been an issue when grandma used it) considering this is a major safety issue. It has been stored in a bag with the other vests since then. If this was a 5-pt harness and the straps weren't holding tight (like say with the Dorel seats that loosen up) then you would expect the company to fix it right?

I'm just in shock they want me to purchase a new one instead of fixing the broken one they sent me! How is that an acceptable fix for the problem?

Wendy, where did you find the DOM on the vest? I just looked at my statements online for my cc and I purchased it 6.5 months ago. I just don't use the old style much, but I do still need it for those occasional times ya know.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I can't remember if it's on the vest or if it came on the insert with it. I don't think I still have the insert, and the vest is in my husband's car, so I can't check right now.

Wendy

steph_s

I found it (inside tag on reverse of care instructions) mine was made in March 05'. Hmm nice to know I bought it 6 months ago and it was already that old.

TechnoGranola

Forum Ambassador
I just downloaded the manual for the old size small from here http://www.safetrafficsystem.com/ver3/manual.php and it doesn't have any warranty info in it. I also can't find any warranty info on their web site. Perhaps that's why they're not offering a replacement, because they don't have much, if any warranty? I don't agree with it, but this might explain why the only offer you've had is to sell you a new one at a discounted price.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Even if they have no stated warranty, a product is supposed to be "fit to sell." If it reached you defective, they should be responsible for repair or replacement. What state are you in? Some states (like mine) have a specific business code relating to merchandise being fit to sell/usable.

That said, when I have contacted the company before I have noticed that there's a language barrier (English not first language and some fluency issues) with whoever I got the e-mail back from. Perhaps this is an issue of them not understanding that the vest apparently reached you defective, this is not anything you did? This does not sound like a problem that was "corrected with the new version," this sounds like a flat-out defect, and they didn't seem to get that.

steph_s

That said, when I have contacted the company before I have noticed that there's a language barrier (English not first language and some fluency issues) with whoever I got the e-mail back from. Perhaps this is an issue of them not understanding that the vest apparently reached you defective, this is not anything you did? This does not sound like a problem that was "corrected with the new version," this sounds like a flat-out defect, and they didn't seem to get that.

I believe it's a flat out defect (I'm actually concerned about other vests out there). As I said, I own several of these and none of them have this problem except this one! I sent another email making myself perfectly clear in no un-certain terms that their product must have arrived damaged, it is not working and their offer of a discount is a joke and they won't see another dime from me and that I expect them to repair my damaged vest or send me another one. Now suddenly I'm connected to the CEO of the company. He called me tonight and is looking into it and says he will call me by the end of the week. This was only after a thread to report them to the BBB and to scream it from the rooftops so no one is using a defective product like the one that was sent to me.

I :love: my rstv, but this experience is frustrating me and I'm second guessing my decision to use them.

BTW: Language barrier is an issue with their cs, the ceo speaks english very well and understood completely what I was saying and my concern. He however is unsure if they can offer a replacement. :confused:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Yes, well, if he refuses to replace or repair a defective vest perhaps it's time to get not only the BBB but NHTSA involved. ;)

Gypsy

Senior Community Member
Did you buy it directly from them, or from another retailer? If it was another retailer, have you contacted them about this yet?

steph_s

They are sending me a new one! :) Too bad they are sending me another of the new style instead of the old style. :thumbsdown: I like my old style for certain kids, but o well at least they are handling it. I'm still really upset I have had to fight this hard to get them to do something about it!

They asked me to fill out an order form and fax it to them and then they will ship me a new one. I have to return the old one within 7 days. Ummm no problem I can't use the stupid thing anyways! Do people really want to keep their broken not working properly vests? I just don't understand that!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC