Britax Frontier 85 Review: Summary of Changes

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The wear on my cover was mostly at the bottom where it has been replaced with a soft micro fiber in the Frontier 85. Of course, you can still get snags elsewhere, but that wasn't as big a problem for me. I'd like to see some non-mesh or even plush covers, too!

ADS

bobandjess99

Senior Community Member
Darren, does the new booster belt guide and/or the new fixed armrests change the way the lap belt lies on a child, as compared to the original Frontier??

Mommy0608

I have no ETA or any other information, just that new covers are likely in the works. So, it may not even be this year I just don't know! Hopefully we will learn more at Lifesavers in April!

The wear on my cover was mostly at the bottom where it has been replaced with a soft micro fiber in the Frontier 85. Of course, you can still get snags elsewhere, but that wasn't as big a problem for me. I'd like to see some non-mesh or even plush covers, too!

Ah, thanks. In that case, I think I'll just get the Pink Sky now, and then maybe down the road DD will get a new cover from Santa. :p I just have to wait for your full review and photos before preordering... I promised DH I'd wait for ALL the facts before ordering (he hasn't quite recovered from my sprint to get the Complete Airs, then returning them).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Perhaps a little, but not much I think. The geometry seems pretty similar. I haven't compared them side by side in a car. I do have some photos of booster use on three kids in the blog tomorrow for you to see.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I lined them up side by side on a hard floor against a wall. It's not a perfect comparison, but the belt paths are quite similar overall. The photo doesn't give you the depth perception, but you can see that they should allow for similar fit. It's not going to get much better (or worse) than the old Frontier, I think.

As a side note, the width at the cupholders is about 19.25 inches. That's a bit wider than the width of the main area in the original Frontier. but actually narrower if you consider the protrustions from cupholders, even when they were not in use.

Attachments

• beltpath.jpg
    beltpath.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 34

yetanotherjen

CPST Instructor
I love the new cupholder design. My ds can reach the ones on the original FN but his cups get stuck and he struggles to get them out. With these being on the front of the seat though I can picture in my head my son not being able to reach that far while harnessed...... any thoughts?

I don't think I will *need* this seat until next year, though I want one now! But maybe if I wait I'll get better cover choices :)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
I love the new cupholder design. My ds can reach the ones on the original FN but his cups get stuck and he struggles to get them out. With these being on the front of the seat though I can picture in my head my son not being able to reach that far while harnessed...... any thoughts?

No problem for my 4 year old. If he could get them out of the ones on the original Frontier, I would think it would be easier on the new one.

steph_s

Don't give up hope! I have not been told anything about new covers for the original Frontier. Even though the Frontier 85 covers will not fit the original, that isn't to saythat they won't make any new fabrics as replacements. They might not, I just don't know. There are a lot of Frontiers out there, though.

I wouldn't hold my breath for Britax to release covers for their old frontier! They discontinued the Regent for the frontier and not only are there no new cover choices coming out (I waited a long long time for something for my Regents and never got it) but now I can't even order replacement covers for my Regent seats because Britax doesn't have them and per the cs rep they will not be getting or making anymore! :thumbsdown:

SusanMae

Senior Community Member
Am I the one that thinks it's silly that you have to pay for the SG clip thing? The original seat is all but $280.....and then I'll need to spend under $20(likely 19.99) for the extra part.

Sure many parents would likely loose it, but if they put something in the mold to store it...much like locking clip storage, that would probably fix the lost part problem for many parents.

Susan

Mommy0608

I don't think I will *need* this seat until next year, though I want one now! But maybe if I wait I'll get better cover choices :)

No problem for my 4 year old. If he could get them out of the ones on the original Frontier, I would think it would be easier on the new one.

This is a concern I have as well. My DD has a very hard time with the current cupholders. Then tend to want to fold back up, and her cups get stuck so she finally gave up trying to use them. Now, if she has her water in the car, she'll throw a massive fit for me to take the cup when she's done. :rolleyes: I really hope she can reach them on the newer model (she's 3.5 years old).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
This is a concern I have as well. My DD has a very hard time with the current cupholders. Then tend to want to fold back up, and her cups get stuck so she finally gave up trying to use them. Now, if she has her water in the car, she'll throw a massive fit for me to take the cup when she's done. :rolleyes: I really hope she can reach them on the newer model (she's 3.5 years old).

Edit- I'd say they are about the same overall. They are farther out from the back, but closer from the side and a bit higher. Photo coming shortly.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
You can see he has plenty of reach. Maybe a child at the minimum of 2 years would struggle, I'm not sure. Overall, they look pretty similar in the reach required, but it's hard to compare without a smaller kid.

If anything, I'd say the possible drawback is that a bigger kid might be more likely to tip a tall water bottle with their legs, but that's the tradeoff of course.

(and no he's too young to appreciate Sprecher Root Beer!)

Attachments

• cupholder.jpg
    cupholder.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 66

sholoulou

It looks like there is less hump to the seat. Is that true????? I sure hope so. We tried a Frontier before and that big hump made my 6 yo son's legs stick out and hit the back of the seat - It was uncomfortable for him. I am hoping that the seating area is more flat than the original Frontier.

Mommy0608

Thanks for the picture, that really helps! Looks like my DD shouldn't have any trouble reaching the cupholder. Now I'm concerned about the width between the two cupholders... I wonder if older kids' legs would be cramped if they had a cup? Like you said, it might be possible to tip a tall water bottle. Ah well, no seat is perfect, right? ;) Definitely looking forward to seeing pics of older kiddos in the seat to get a feel for the width (shoulders, hips and knees in particular).

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
It looks like there is less hump to the seat. Is that true????? I sure hope so. We tried a Frontier before and that big hump made my 6 yo son's legs stick out and hit the back of the seat - It was uncomfortable for him. I am hoping that the seating area is more flat than the original Frontier.

It's pretty similar, maybe a little less hump at the sides, but not enough difference to make a big change either way in comfort I think.

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks for the picture, that really helps! Looks like my DD shouldn't have any trouble reaching the cupholder. Now I'm concerned about the width between the two cupholders... I wonder if older kids' legs would be cramped if they had a cup? Like you said, it might be possible to tip a tall water bottle. Ah well, no seat is perfect, right? ;) Definitely looking forward to seeing pics of older kiddos in the seat to get a feel for the width (shoulders, hips and knees in particular).

The seating width is pretty close from old to new. Obviously, a full cupholder might keep kids from hanging their legs over as much. Of course, most cars have cupholders, too, so I don't see that as a big issue for most people.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onehitko860

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC